PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Chilean Mauser rear sight

7br
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
In the rear sight base of my Chilean mauser, there is a threaded hole. Does anyone have any idea on the size and thread?

(This time I am serious about getting this thing up and running)

StarMetal
08-29-2006, 01:53 PM
No doubt it's metric, so if you get a metric ruler that is marked in millimeters you can get a pretty accurate size because most all metric screws are in whole sizes. Then after that you will need to determine the pitch, they have quite a few different pitches just like American threads. A hardware store I use to do part time work for had a subpert bolt section, including metric. Perhaps once you get a diameter measurement you can go buy one or more screws of that metric diameter and in different pitches and try them. Or luckily someone on the forum may know that size or have the rifle and metric screw gauges and measure it. A good chance that person is Buckshot.

Joe

Buckshot
09-01-2006, 03:55 AM
..............HA! I stay as far away from that metric stuff as possible :-). Call up Springfield Sporters, I'll bet they have one.

...............Buckshot

Uncle Grinch
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Joe and Buckshot are right on.

It's not metric. I read somewhere that metric did not exist when the Mausers were built. This was before metric was formulized.

I picked up one from Springfield Sporters for my '91 Arg and a buddy of mine found a replacement in his box of screws (which he said was not metric).