PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief, How did Whitworth do.

Changeling
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I can't wait any longer! How did Whitworth do on his Pig hunt. I've been patiently waiting to hear but I haven't heard the story! Good or bad, it needs telling.

So, how did things go?

44man
08-05-2010, 07:25 AM
He shot a small one and I think he will post about it. The darn things just don't co-operate too well. When they hear about the cannons he takes, they leave the county! 8-)

Whitworth
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry Changling! I have been really busy, so I haven't really reported on that hunt. It was bleeding hot, forcing us to hunt at night. I shot two meat pigs, but the big one I was hoping for eluded me. I am hoping to kill something bigger soon, but the weather isn't cooperating......nor are the hogs! Free ranging hunts are hit or miss, so to speak!

Changeling
08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Sorry Changling! I have been really busy, so I haven't really reported on that hunt. It was bleeding hot, forcing us to hunt at night. I shot two meat pigs, but the big one I was hoping for eluded me. I am hoping to kill something bigger soon, but the weather isn't cooperating......nor are the hogs! Free ranging hunts are hit or miss, so to speak!

I was really hoping to see you contact on one of the big ones, but as I have been hearing those suckers are more elusive than deer. I'm starting to get a better understanding of why so many State Wildlife Management groups are worried all to hell about them coming North and taking over more and larger areas.
Well bona-petite on the smaller barbecue pigs, I don't think anyone has had a bad time when they can turn 1 shot into some AWESOME barbecue.
Just keep on digging Whitworth, I have a feeling you will definitely hit gold, with some BIG Tusks!

odis
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry Changling! I have been really busy, so I haven't really reported on that hunt. It was bleeding hot, forcing us to hunt at night. I shot two meat pigs, but the big one I was hoping for eluded me. I am hoping to kill something bigger soon, but the weather isn't cooperating......nor are the hogs! Free ranging hunts are hit or miss, so to speak!Do you have any knew stitches in your head?:razz::razz:

leftiye
08-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't knew stitches make one smarter?

Whitworth
08-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Do you have any knew stitches in your head?:razz::razz:

Nope, the only revolver I own with my DNA on the front sight post is my .50 Alaskan -- come to think of it, it has the DNA of several people on it.

Whitworth
08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Don't knew stitches make one smarter?

Not in my case......:bigsmyl2:

44man
08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
That beast is sitting in my basement to work loads for. I refuse to shoot the thing! :mrgreen: I have enough scrambled brains! :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2010, 08:42 AM
id wouldnt shoot it with full power loads either.

cptinjeff
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
That beast is sitting in my basement to work loads for. I refuse to shoot the thing! :mrgreen: :drinks:

I have to admit I had to read this post three times before I got it. I thought he was actually going to shoot the pig "beast" for load devolpment.

I NEED more coffee.

Whitworth
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I have to admit I had to read this post three times before I got it. I thought he was actually going to shoot the pig "beast" for load devolpment.

I NEED more coffee.

That's coming......standby

I was doing a bit of load development with my .500 JRH. It's confusing to me too as I have three .50 cal revolvers and they are all different..... I need more coffee too......

ole 5 hole group
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
You might need a little more than just coffee by the time you get through "load development". Best of luck to you.

44man
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I love the JRH but admit it has a different effect on my wrist then the .475. It is not bad off hand but you will not spend hours at the bench with it.
If you shoot the .50 Alaskan from the bench you need to tape your wrist and wear a hard hat! :Fire:

Whitworth
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
You might need a little more than just coffee by the time you get through "load development". Best of luck to you.

LOL, no doubt!

Whitworth
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I love the JRH but admit it has a different effect on my wrist then the .475. It is not bad off hand but you will not spend hours at the bench with it.
If you shoot the .50 Alaskan from the bench you need to tape your wrist and wear a hard hat! :Fire:

Ain't that the truth!

ghh3rd
08-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I'll be happy if even get a Webber this year... just started hunting this past winter here in Florida -- three trips and didn't see anything. The last trip I arrived at the stand at 5:00am in 27* and sat for 3 1/2 hrs.

What's a Webber? Around here I've heard them call the small pigs "Webbers" cause they fit on the grill so well :-)

44man
08-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Pigs don't seem to have any patterns and go anywhere and everywhere anytime they please and might be why they get hard to find. I suppose those places that food is put out all the time work better in areas where natural food is scarcer. I don't know much about them but they seem so different then deer, deer being stupid in comparison. Pigs don't seem to have a bedding area and stop where they are, to go on from there.
Pigs get up and just go and even if an area shows a lot of activity, they might be a month showing up there again.
We don't have any here so going two or three states away for a few days and expecting to be where the pigs are moving seems to be 100% luck.
I get the feeling a pig is like a red fox, you never know where they are.

Changeling
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Pigs don't seem to have any patterns and go anywhere and everywhere anytime they please and might be why they get hard to find. I suppose those places that food is put out all the time work better in areas where natural food is scarcer. I don't know much about them but they seem so different then deer, deer being stupid in comparison. Pigs don't seem to have a bedding area and stop where they are, to go on from there.
Pigs get up and just go and even if an area shows a lot of activity, they might be a month showing up there again.
We don't have any here so going two or three states away for a few days and expecting to be where the pigs are moving seems to be 100% luck.
I get the feeling a pig is like a red fox, you never know where they are.

You are probably dead right, not sure though.

When I was a kid I had 3 pigs I raised to sell. A week or so before My dad was going to take them to the market (alive) they broke out of the pen and took off (about 250 lbs each). I searched high and low but found nothing. Then about 3 weeks later we received a phone call from a man who said he had 2 of our hogs and had locked them up in the pen with his . Never did find or hear of the 3rd hog, probably on someone's table.

But get this, this guy lived about 12 miles from us, they had traveled that far!:holysheep