PDA

View Full Version : New to lube - what do i need

JTknives
08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I have designed and made and cast some 200gr WFN for my 10mm. it has a single lube groove and i will be shooting them in the hot weather here in utah as well in the winter. im shooting them out of my glock20 with an aftermarket barre. what lube should i start, i will be doing pan lubing. thanks

No_1
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
You can use almost any lube for pan lubing. You will need to make a "cookie cutter" thing to get the boolits out of the lube once it cools. Click this link: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pan+lubing+bullets&aq=1 and watch a few videos to get a better idea.

R.

JTknives
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
i got the basic idea of how to pan lube down. but what is a good lube?

white eagle
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Jt
go over to white label lubes they have some good stuff
I use at the time the carnuba red but there is a whole bunch of things you could use
]good luck]

thx997303
08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
JT, you really should give the LLA/JPW tumble lube a try before hassling with pan lubing.

If it works, great. If not, go to another lube.

The LLA/JPW works in my 9mm, my 45-70, and my 38 spcl.

I'll give you a sample if you would like.

Casting Timmy
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
I really don't pan lube but the old nra formula with beeswax, vaseline, and parafin could be a cheap and easy way to start.

Doby45
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
White Label Lubes, One stick BAC one stick C-Red and you will be golden. If you size PRIOR to lubing you can use one of your fired pieces of brass as the cutter. If you decide the size AFTER you lube (like I did) then you need to get a cutter that will fit over the unsized boolit. It can be uber nice like a Buckshot cutter or cheap like a golfclub handle.

Edubya
08-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I have designed and made and cast some 200gr WFN for my 10mm. it has a single lube groove and i will be shooting them in the hot weather here in utah as well in the winter. im shooting them out of my glock20 with an aftermarket barre. what lube should i start, i will be doing pan lubing. thanks

Spend the time reading http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524 It will save you all kinds of time in the future. Like money in the bank.

EW

JTknives
08-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Spend the time reading http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524 It will save you all kinds of time in the future. Like money in the bank.

EW

i read the whole thread and i think im more confused then before. seams like everyone has something different thy like

bigboredad
08-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I use beeswax paraffin and vaseline with a splash of atf with good luck the atf helps the lube to shrink enough to pop out of the pan

riverwalker76
08-05-2010, 09:58 AM
i read the whole thread and i think im more confused then before. seams like everyone has something different thy like

Don't feel bad ... I felt the same way when I read that thread. It makes your head spin, and it seems that no one can agree on one 'magic' ingredient. To me ... that told me that there are many ways to make a good bullet lube, and it's kind of like baking a potato .... if you follow the basic ingredients ... you really can't screw it up. :grin:

I started with a really simple recipe, and it turned out great. I tweaked it a little bit to get it as firm as I liked, and that was it.

There are a whole lot of recipes out there, but most lube makers agree on a few ingredients. Beeswax, vaseline, stp oil treatment, paraffin and/or microwax, and crayons for coloring. There will always be someone out there that wants to add a 'flavor twist' to it just for giggles, but it's not always necessary in my findings.

I learned the hard way and spent a little money on a lot of ingredients. Then I mixed them up in different quantities per recipes, and tried them out. It all depends on what you want to use the lube for as to what kind of recipe you like. I don't know if I helped, but I'm sure I made it clear as mud! :D

cajun shooter
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Reloading, casting, and lubing bullets is no different than eating ice cream. That's why Baskin Robbins did so well when they started a store that had more than vanilla,chocolate, or strawberry. When it is all said and done everyone had ice cream but in different flavors. I have been at this since 1970 and I still pan lube my large 45-70 bullets. The easiest way that I have found is to have Buckshot make me a Kate Cotter of the proper size. His are longer and much better than any homemade one. This alone makes it work much better. If your bullets drop at .404 then have your cutter made some thousands bigger so that it fits over the bullet easy and will also speed up your process. The White Label lubes are the best next to making your own. I would start with either BAC or Carnuba Red . A fast lube to make your own is Speed Green and it does not get any easier. Buy you some Bees Wax from Randy Rat and some Blue plate Sprue lube from Bullshop. Mix the two and that is it. The Bullplate comes in small bottles so buy at least 8-10. These two are the best way to get your feet wet as they are easy to do. Save your money until you learn before making a new lube for the market. Oh one more thing, you don't need crayons for color. Who has ever stood at a range and said "Man did you see the lube on that bullet"

geargnasher
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I think the short answer to "what lube?" is what will you be doing with it? As far as pan lubing, the above advice is all good, although you may have fits pan lubing with straight Carnauba Red, as it he harder than hammered cat scat at room temperature.

Where the particular recipe becomes important is at high-velocity, high-pressure shooting conditions where most of your pistol lubes will reach a failure point. There are only a few recipes, and not many of them are commercial, that will get you above 2400fps without having lube-related accuracy and leading issues. White Label makes some, as does LBT and the Bullshop, and a few others.

For 90% of pistol and a lot of rifle shooting, just about anything will work, but lube is best tailored to the application. There is no "one size fits all" for lubes, although BAC, MML, and Felix lube come pretty close.

Gear

fredj338
08-05-2010, 02:20 PM
If buying lube, BAC is tough to beat for pan lubing. 50/50 of BAC & CR would likely be my choice as BAC is a bit too sticky. A 41mag case would mae a cookie cutter. Drill the primer hole out, drop a nail into the case as a punch for removeing & cut your bullets out. Maybe two at a time? A piece of appr. dia brass or alim tubing works well.

Edubya
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM

That's exactly the point! If you learn a little of the basics from reading the entire thread and put into practice what you have learned, you can't hardly go wrong with pistol boolit lube.

EW

Elkins45
08-15-2010, 01:25 PM

I would tell you to just go out and buy a stick of 50/50 alox, but even the Lee stuff is $5 a stick most places. I think Lars sells an assortment or sampler pack- that would be a good way to get your feet wet.

If you really want to go on the cheap, or just have the hankering to make some yourself, the one lube you can always find the ingredients for locally is Darr lube. It should hold up OK to 10mm velocities.

mdi
08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
When starting a project, like beginning boolit casting, using known good components will eliminate a lot of head-scratching and frustration. I pan lube my .44 magnun (full loads) with Carnuba Red. I had read much about it in this forum and all the results posted were good. So for my high pressure/velocity loads I went straight to the Carnuba Red. My results weren't great, but at least I knew it wasn't the lube at fault. A little tweeking here and there, and I found a good load. Then I went with trying other lubes (just for grins as I prolly wouldn't come up with anything much better than Carnuba Red). Check out Lar45's stuff...

RobS
08-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Glen Larsen of White Label lube makes a variety of pretty darn good boolit lube. BAC would work well for your purpose and his lubes are at a price that makes it very hard to think about making your own.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html