PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Feeding Problem

BABore
08-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I picked up a used 1895 Marlin 45/70 a couple of weeks ago. It was made in 1976 and has a straight grip, squared finger lever, and 22 inch barrel. The barrel is 12 groove, but not marked MicroGroove.

I stripped the gun completely and detail cleaned each component looking for wear, burrs, etc. Everything in the action looked good. Very little if any wear. Most of the original machining marks are visible, yet smooth. About the only thing I noticed was the finger lever had a bit of side to side play at the pivot screw. Now for the minor glitch.

I used loaded dummy rounds with three different bullets as well as a FL sized empty to check the feeding. All cases were Winchester and trimmed to 2.090" Rounds load through the loading spring and into the mag. tube with no problems. They also feed one at a time from the tube, onto the carrier. Each dummy was positioned on the carrier with the rim against the stop edge of the carrier. As the lever was brought fully open, the carrier raised so the end feed ramp was positioned even, to just slightly (0.010") above, the bottom edge of the chamber mouth. So far, so good. As the lever was cycled slowly to chamber the round, the bolt was pushing the round toward the chamber. The top of the rim was in contact with the bottom edge of the bolt, and the bottom edge of the rim was in contact with the carrier rib. The case is entering the chamber with the bullet nose already past he mouth. The case rim has yet to pop above the bolt's extractor when the case binds against the bottom edge of the chamber. It scores the brass approximately 0.13 to 0.19" below the case mouth. It will chamber the round when cycling slowly, if forced a bit. Cycling it smartly works a bit better, but still scores the case.

I compared the cycling to my 1895M, and they appeared to be the same. All surfaces are smooth, but not worn at all. I have ruled out any case or bullet problems. It almost appears as if the rib, on the carrier, is at the wrong angle. I am also wondering if the carrier rocker or spring is the culprite. Any help would be appreciated.

454PB
08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a similar problem with my Puma model 92 .454 Casull. As it gets more use, it seems to be getting better and feeds more smoothly. I've read that others have used a Dremel tool to smooth the bottom of the chamber edge and facilitate feeding, sort of like polishing .45 ACP feed ramps. I haven't resorted to that yet.