PDA

View Full Version : why use gas checks for shooting paper targets.

tackstrp
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
got a wild hair one day and picked up 2 boxes of gas checks for my 357 with 8 3/8 barrel. . All i ever do is kill paper targets, range took down the knock down steel plates, no plans on hunting deer unless is on the menu at restraunt.

Do not have a gas check mold, and I can not convince myself to buy one. Seems to me my alox trumble lube bullets with no gas check do all i can ask with no leading.

Any comments why I should buy a 357 gas check mould and use the Gas Checks. Seems just selliing them would be best answer

Wally
08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
If you want to use heavier loads (say 158 grain SWC loaded up to 1,500 FPS), then you'd need a GC bullet & the gas checks. As the bullets you are now using don't lead up your barrel, you don't need a GC bullet mold.

tackstrp
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Only have one mold which is 158 grain Lee tumble lube. and eight pounds of ramshot true blue powder . I would have to exceed the suggested load data to obtain 1500 fps .

Thanks . need to count and sell the gas checks
opend boxes, need to make sure none lost.

Larry Gibson
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
tackstrp

Obviously for your needs a GC mould show it is not needed. You can do well with very soft cast PB bullets at low velocities and "kill" all the paper targets you desire. If that's all you intend to do then you have no need what so ever of using a GC mould. GC'd handgun cast bullets do fill a specifice need that is beyond the performance of PB'd bullets in magnum or heavily load handgun cartridges. That use generally is for HV magnum level performance with soft alloys to assure expansion. You've no apparent need for that. No problem there. Go for it with your PB'd cast bullets and don't bother concerning yourself about GC'd bullets for your handgun.

Larry Gibson

kfarm
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
For a lot of my light loads in 38/357 and 30 cal I just like a check on cause most of my molds ar GC type and it's just a little cleaner after sizing/lubing with a check and with these thin al checks it doesn't add much cost. As for time well I'm retired and whats time to a pig (old farm joke).

BFR454
10-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Do GC style bullets go ok without the GC on them?

Boolseye
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
As for time well I'm retired and whats time to a pig (old farm joke).
Love it!

bobthenailer
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
i have shot many thousands of gas ck bullet designes without the gas cks installed to at least 1200 fps in the 357 mag, 44 mag and 454 casull with excellent accuracy! and i have more than 2 guns in each caliber. i checked the loads with gas cks installed and they were no better than the un gaschecked. in one case for one particular load it shot better without the gas ck