PDA

View Full Version : GPS advice

08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
So i've drawn a deer permit and while i'm working up a load for the 300 savage i'm also getting serious about scouting. This is my first hunt as an adult I'm kind of on my own. So far what I know is scout deep and scout often, i'm going to try to head out two weekends every month from mid august until mid november when i'll be out hunting.

I really want a GPS to back up my map and compass (yay scouts) My wife wants one that should i fall and break a led i can transmit a SOS or 911 signal with but i'm not too interested in paying a subscription fee. I"m going to head over to REI to ask them since they seem to know everything however I wanted to ask here see if anyone had one of these, thought they were useful, had any reviews, or if i should just save my money for gas.

I think this goes in the Kit section not sure though.....

thanks,

JJC
08-04-2010, 02:24 AM
I use a Garmin E trex (the yellow model). I learned how to read and use a topo map. Printed them off at Sportsmans whse. Check out Map Tools.com, and pick up the guide book and a map tool for the scale of map you will have. I will go anywhere if I have my map, compas and GPS. You do not need the expensive models if you have a map. I basically use the GPS for my UTM coordinates and to plot way points. When scouting I plot points for various reasons and keep notes. When you get home use your tool to plot them on your map. I also keep a reduced size color copy of my map in my pocket for quick reference. When needed I take out my to scale map and find myself. I like the UTM system and map tools are verry affordable. Good luck, John

RugerFan
08-04-2010, 05:16 AM
+1 on Garmin GPSs. Through work and play I have used several different models of Garmins and they are great.

For your wife's request you may want a satellite GPS messenger called "SPOT."
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102
Among other things, it has the "Call 911" function to send a rescue to your location.

It also allows people to track your progress on line.

44fanatic
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
"I really want a GPS to back up my map and compass "...That is the first and most important thought with a GPS. You never know when you are going to have dead batteries, broke GPS, etc. Any GPS should only be used as a tool with a good map and compass...personal experience with having dead batteries in the middle of nowhere (Northern Kuwait, about 2miles south of the Iraq border (1996)) and another situation where the GPS could not get me where I needed to without a map (Mosul, Iraq, navigating in the city (2003). Army taught me good map reading and navigation skills so it was not a problem.

My use of a GPS consists of confirming my location and marking rubs, sightings, tree stands, etc. Info is then downloaded to computer and marked on a hardcopy map. Prior to going into an area, I will look at photo and topo maps of the area and then down load promising or good looking spots to my GPS. Sometimes I will plan a route if I know I will be moving into an area prior to first light.

If you want to use the GPS for scouting, get one that you can download information to a computer (card or cable). This will allow you to better view the information and analyze it. I have found that many Garmin models are capable of this and there are many sites out there that offer free maps and tools. Two of the sites that I use are Mapwell and USAphotomaps.

Be aware that some maps have differnt mapping datum and locations may not match, you need to verify what datum is being used and ensure that your GPS is set accordingly. Map datum for most maps is WGS84 (World Grid System 1984) but you can still find many maps that are NAD27 (North American Datum 1927). Just enough information to confuse you....LOL. Not much to worry about, if set wrong, you can still get back to your truck, but you may not find a tree stand before first light. Difference can be around 50 yards or so.

Having a GPS that has maps on it is sort of irrelevant as you should always have a paper map with you.

As for being able to send a distress signal, I cant speak much for that. The area you hunt is much different from where I hunt. I can almost guarantee that I will always be able to use my cell phone to either call for help or get out a text message with where I hunt, not so much for yourself.

Be advised that terrain, weather, and vegetation can affect GPS reception. You may not always be able to "see" 3 satellites.

44fanatic
08-04-2010, 10:14 AM
On an additional note, after looking at the SPOT website, I would not reccomend a combined system. Keep the distress device in your survival kit and in your pack. You are less likely to loose or break it. Plus, if you never use it unless there is an emergency, you wont have dead batteries (as long as they are replaced on a regular basis).

JJC
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
+1 44 Fanatic. I do the same without the down loading. The map tools guide book covers the map datum I believe? I always have a plan "D" if everything goes to hell. As in head north and you will hit a road eventually.

JIMinPHX
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
The Garmin E-trex series is inexpensive, pocket sized & works well for a while. When they get older, the displays get a bit decrepit. They get lines in them, or just go blank. The control button on the front gets arthritis too. It just stops working in one or two positions at first & then not at all. Rapping the side of the case usually gets them going again. I think that there are some internal connectors that get cruddy over time, & that's where both problems originate. You can still use them for years after they get intermittent on you. It's just a bit of a hassle. I've been using the e-trex for probably 6 or 8 years now. I've been through about 4 of them. They all had the same issues, but I can still get any of them to give me my position if I fool with it enough.

Some of the newer GPS units with built in driving directions do not work off road at all. The TomTom is like that. Once you are 100 yards off a street, it is lost. It even gets confused in big parking lots. If you enter a latitude & longitude that are a mile off of a road, it will set your destination point to the nearest place that is on a road. It will not even acknowledge that off road areas exist. They are also totally lost in any area that they do not have the software for. A US/Canada TomTom is lost in England, for instance. The Garmin E-trex will work anywhere in the world, even if it doesn't have maps for the area installed.

If you are hunting with a buddy & you separate in unfamiliar territory, three is a GPS gizmo called a Rino that has a tracking feature. You hit a button to send your location to your buddy's Rino & it points him straight to you. I can see where that can be convenient, but for actual search & rescue, I would just use a cell phone or a radio & call in my location. I don't feel the need to have all my gizmos in one box.

These days you can get GPS service in many cell phones. The problem there is that the cell phone company thieves charge you a monthly fee for access to the GPS service. A regular GPS has no monthly service fees. The basic version of the e-trex can be had for less than $100. After that, all you need is 2 AA batteries & you're off to the races. A set of 4 rechargeable AAs will keep you going for years.

44fanatic
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
After that, all you need is 2 AA batteries & you're off to the races. A set of 4 rechargeable AAs will keep you going for years.

Thank goodness for the newer GPS. I have a Magellan that I took to Iraq in 2003, went thru 3 AA's in about 4 hours (didnt have rechargeables). Always carried lots and lots of batteries after the experience in 1996. Now I have a Garmin 76csx(?). Goes through 2 AAs in 8 hours, also picked up the rechargeables...just need to get them back from the kids (cameras and cd players)...LOL.

BrianB
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm gonna say Garmin as well. We have several of them. (GPS III, GPS 40, GPS 12, GPS72 and GPSMAP76CSX) The one I use the most is the 76CSX, but that is because of the amount of time I spend on the water. (It floats and is waterproof, as is the 72. The downside is its large size.) My suggestion is to determine your needs before you buy, then know what each model offers. I constantly hear bad reviews of the Garmin 76CSX because of its very basic street maps. My question is always the same "Who buys a GPS like that to use in a car?" These people just did not do their homework and went out and spent way more than they needed to spend and still did not get what they needed.

Pay attention to what maps are preloaded on the unit. The 76CSX comes with almost nothing, you have to buy what maps you want. This is important because the maps can get expensive very quickly. The fact that some come with little in the maps department does not bother me, it just means I'm not paying for a map that I don't really need...like a road map. A barometric altimeter, electronic compass and mapping are all features I would consider, but you be the judge of that as these features can start upping the price. No matter what model you get, I would stick with Garmin.

You are smart to have a map and compass with you, but I think you'll soon find that they will become the back-up for the GPS, not the other way around.

44fanatic
08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
"Who buys a GPS like that to use in a car?"

76csx...

Dang it, I did, and not the car, the truck...LOL. For getting from LA to NY, get the NUVI. And no, I did not get mine for driving around althoug it is nice when you are looking for that one side road that you have never driven on at o'dark thirty.

Works great out hunting and fishing. I will agree on the size issue also. A bit big for just dropping in the pocket. But I do like the versatility of it and it comes with a couple of games installed for when you are bored in the treestand.

JJC
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Good to know about the Garmins. I don't turn it on till I get to the woods. Going to have to pre trip it at the house. A friend of mine bought his with marlboro miles back when & has not had a problem.

No_1
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a couple that I have used a lot. I have not been hunting in some time but the first thing I would do when hunting is mark the location of my vehicle. When in the woods it is a serious comfort to know the way "home" no matter what the conditions.

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Ive got the delorne unit that allows for downloading arieal photos and sat imagery. Its a hell of a good unit but a bit complicated for a beginner. I also have an etrex and its probably a better unit for a basic hunting gps.

big boar
08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Garmin Legend is really good. You can download or buy a micro-SD card with the maps already loaded for whatever area you use. I want to get the 60CSX but just didn't want the anteana sticking out the top though the screen is larger and easier to use. I like the dimensions of the Legend, small/light enough that I carry it with me EVERYWHERE. I also just use it as a backup but here (Ontario) it's easy to get turned around (lost) in the thick bush and then the Legend comes in very handy. Only uses 2 AA batteries and they seem to last quite a long time but I still carry an extra 6 batteries as well, same ones used in my flashlight. I'm not easy on my equipment and have only had the Legend a bit over a year, so far no issues and I'm impressed with the maps on the SD card. A lot of southern Ontario and a fair bit used in Nothern Ontario, thick bush, fall down, rained on , freeeeezing cold, still works OK.

JIMinPHX
08-06-2010, 07:54 PM
the first thing I would do when hunting is mark the location of my vehicle.

+1 on that, especially when I'm in a new area.

jwhite
08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Take a look at the Delorme PN-40, it is an impressive machine.
JW

redneckdan
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
For basic position finding i found the etrex legend to be more than sufficent. I carry USGS quads and compass for navigating and route planning. I got a 60CSx for use on my KLR because i can use the battery to run an amplified antenna for better reception. Occasionally I will use the computer to program a route, but mostly I just use it for finding where I am currently at.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2010, 06:17 AM
thats the one i have. Its a great unit but for an idiot like me its pretty complicated. For you young computer savoy guys it is a hell of a toy.
JW

stephen perry
08-09-2010, 07:29 AM
I use a Trimble at work. Have used a Magellan also, for Civil Engineering work Magellan's at least the tourist models suck. For hunting I use quad maps, compass, and surveyor flagging. Know your way in and follow your markings out. GPS is job specific and like any tool is only as good as it's operator.

357 get your Boy Scout book out learn how to use a compass again and take necessary survival tools. Leave the GPS for the technocrats. Be your own Man, that's what being a Sportsman is all about.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

82nd airborne
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
my map and compass havent ran out of batteries yet!!!

MT Gianni
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
My first was a Magellan 320, It was a bundle of frustration to use it.

Pepe Ray
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Gianni;
I'm still being abused by a 320. I always thought I was simply inept in its use.
Do you think it was a poor design or was the learning curve too steep for us?
Pepe Ray

08-14-2010, 08:13 PM
JW

This is the one me and the REI guy played with alot, I'm thinking i might buy that one. But my wife still wants me to get the spot.

whitetailsniper
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
i have and use the etrex VISTA HCX , i did my homework,compaired to alot of the other models,and brands out there. i never go up north, or hunting without it. while compairing to other models,brands,prices i found this to be the best,and without a doupt one of my best tools for hunting,scouting. the battrie life is very good,runs on 2 aa battries,as well as lithieum. i bought a a 4 gb sim card,but returned it as 2gb is so ever much more than youll ever need. on this model you can even custom make your own waypoints. for that the software is free to download. i make alot for my needs such as rubs,scrapes,bedding areas,blood trials,treestand- stands locations, feeding areas,watering holes, parking of were the truck is., ect. this unit has alarm sectors ect. i bought this 3 yrs ago and use it often. it has never let me down,and has performed flawlessly. does many functions some of witch i dont even use. one of the main reasons i choose this model is i have downloaded 7 differant states ,and i mean the whole state,i can hunt anywere in those states with full details,and up to date details. i have in my unit my home state mich. wis,ohio,indiana,iowa,kansas,montana. i can save to my laptop,add or change at anytime. i cant say enough about this unit. like i stated i did my homework,and for me this was the best unit to get. as for something to call for help,,,thats what the cell phone is for,has built in gps locator,and you can call 911,or even you wife so she knows your ok. just remember to have on vibrate while in the woods as you know. ck out this unit, i think youll agree its the one to get.

captain-03
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
I have several GPS units - one for the car, one for the boat, and the handheld Garmin Etrex VISTA. All three are Garmin. I use the Vista when hunting and also take it along on the boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico as a backup ... The Vista is great as I can download Hwy, topo, or Blue Chart data into it straight from my computer. Also can download my waypoints from the Vista onto my computer ....

missionary5155
08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Good morning
On the interesting side.. I can take you to some places here in Southern Peru where a civilian GPS will not help. But so far all the BIG over 10,000 "hills" will get a signal.

thxmrgarand
08-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I use a GPS but like a Trunord compass pinned to my coat and refer to the compass much more often, and I usually carry a compass in my pocket. I really like the Trunord. The most common GPS model at garage sales is the ETrex, and the yellow one I use cost $8 at a GS. It doesn't like big old growth timber so far as consistently receiving signals, and I would like to know if another brand or model would do a lot better. We have 200 foot spruce and 125 foot hemlock, mostly never been harvested, and often in steep ground. Cell phone coverage can be pretty limited (but I suppose that isn't in any way related to GPS reliability).

The only time I found a GPS to be superior to a compass was 4 years ago when packing out a moose. I intended to pack the pieces out the way I came in but another fellow was able to locate a trail nearby by using his GPS. Maybe I could have got out a map and figured it all out but more likely I would have packed it out the way I came in. Anything that makes packing a moose quarter easier is invaluable at that moment.

Arisaka99
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
If you are just using it to mark things, this would be all you need really.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0062794229625a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=Backtrack&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

RugerFan
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
The most common GPS model at garage sales is the ETrex, and the yellow one I use cost $8 at a GS. It doesn't like big old growth timber so far as consistently receiving signals, and I would like to know if another brand or model would do a lot better.

The newer ETrex H comes with a high sensitivity receiver and only cost $10 more. It gets a signal much better than the older/cheaper ETrex.

09-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Which GPS unit? Easy answer. Map and Compass brand! I've hunted and worked in some of the most remote areas around and never had a problem navigating with a good topo map and good compass and enough practice and knowledge about how to use them. With any topo map it's a good idea to get on the Canadian site that updates declinations and re-set the declinations on the topos.

Having said that, I've used GPS for several activities including work related. They work fine and the simpler the better. The downsides to them could include: failure of the unit, batteries, bad cover, loss, etc. The other thing about GPS is not the technology, but it may have a contrary effect in that it tends to make folks lazy and unaware of where they're at.... as stange as that sounds.

If worried/paranoid about being stranded then the other technologies are out there... cell and sat phones.

RugerFan
09-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Which GPS unit? Easy answer. Map and Compass brand! I've hunted and worked in some of the most remote areas around and never had a problem navigating with a good topo map and good compass and enough practice and knowledge about how to use them. With any topo map it's a good idea to get on the Canadian site that updates declinations and re-set the declinations on the topos.

Having said that, I've used GPS for several activities including work related. They work fine and the simpler the better. The downsides to them could include: failure of the unit, batteries, bad cover, loss, etc. The other thing about GPS is not the technology, but it may have a contrary effect in that it tends to make folks lazy and unaware of where they're at.... as stange as that sounds.

If worried/paranoid about being stranded then the other technologies are out there... cell and sat phones.

I will say that I ALWAYS carry a compass as a back up. Not doing so is asking for trouble.

cajun shooter
11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Had a very good compass that the needle stuck on and myself and a buddy spent a very cold,wet, and long night in a Louisiana swamp. Everything can and will break. That night taught me to have back ups for the back ups.

WickedGoodOutdoors
11-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Funny to see the differnt ways people use their handheld GPS units.

I still have a Garmin 100 that I got Free 10 years ago when the Caddilac was giving them away if you too a Esplanade out for a test drive. I ened up buying a second hand Taho,

But the GPS give you Degrees, Mins & Secs and that All I use it for.

Only time I really used it was on a Moose hunt in Arrostock County, Maine. Turn it on get the co-ordinates and shut it off. About 2 mins of use every 4 hours or so. Batteries will last a long time that way.

Plot your position on your Topo Map and thats all you need for in the woods.

You can order Topos Maps from Delorme in Falmouth, Maine for just about everywhere in the world.

for nautical charts order them from NOAA

New Yorker Survival kit

http://www.instructables.com/image/FSX6768FS8RCD0X/quotDont-leave-Home-Without-ITquot.jpg

REDNECK Survival Kit

http://www.rudi-knives.com/pages/Axes/images/P1150071.JPG

HamGunner
01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I have had several handheld as well as mobile Garmins over the years and am sort of prejudiced toward them, but I suppose most brands are good these days. First one I had was a Garmin GPS 40 with only 8 satellite tracking and it was slow to lock on satellites and easy to loose coverage in heavy foliage. Technology has improved drastically since then. Now, I have both a Legend and an Etrex Vista HCX. Both are easy to use and have quick lock on and good coverage even in heavy foliage. And batteries can last me for months unless I leave it on all the time which is certainly not necessary. Most have at least 20-24 hour continuous use battery life these days unless they have sophisticated electronic compass and barometer/altitude capabilities, or other features that eat up battery power.

The ability to download a quadrangle map on the GPS is very important to me. But I always carry a map as well. I remember when the magnetic declination was 5 1/2 degrees W. here in my location. It changes over the years and now it is only 1 1/2 degrees W. One needs to know the declination correction if traversing by compass over any distance at all.

If one is going out in any type of unknown area of any size, a good map and a very good quality compass are a necessity no matter what GPS one has. And of course I always carry a small led flashlight these days. I almost got to spend a very cold wet night in the woods miles from anywhere once, because I could not see my hand in front of my face after it clouded up and the moon went out. Even in an area that I knew really well, I managed to only make it to within 40-50 yds of my jeep, but still could not find it and the rain storm was starting to set in. When I finally bumped into the jeep, I was very wet and very cold. When it is really, really dark, you can be lost at even 50 yds. Take a compass and a light even in the daytime. Always. Don't be macho, be safe.

That would really have been embarrassing if I had to curl up in a cold wet pile of leaves till morning, only to find that the jeep was just 10 yards away.

Have fun hunting no matter which GPS you get. I wish they could show me where the game is located, but I suppose that would spoil all the fun.

zardoz
01-21-2011, 12:17 AM
I have both Garmin and Magellan units. Several in fact. The first I ever bought, was a Magellan 2000, which is now a historical artifact. Used that before the government removed the accuracy limiters.

One I like a lot, but has not such a great menu system is the Magellan Triton 400. I got a subscription to National Geographic topo maps, and got several high resolution quadrangles of areas that I have interest in. Also, you can get the satellite and aerial photos on the screen of that unit as well. High res topo map PDF files can be stored and printed in color if desired also.

One thing, I get a kick out of, is making a GPX file, and then loading it into Google Earth, and seeing where I went on both hikes and drives. Had it out with me at the Sinks River Canyon in Wyoming last summer, and it has not failed me. Again, the menu system on the thing could really stand a lot of improvement. Seems like I have to relearn it every time I go out. Very complicated, and not so user friendly. I carry several recharged NiMH AA batteries, and they seem to have better life than the alkalines on GPS. I also carry a set of lithium AA batteries, as back-up for the back-ups.

Another gadget I like, is the Garmin Forerunner wrist GPS for use by runners. It does not have mapping or image capablity like the Triton, but is good for fast coordinates and direction without complication.

But....as has been said, a good quality waterproof topo map, and a good quality compass, plus........a good dose of know-how are the best navigation essentials out in the wilds. I learned back when I was 12 or so, to read topo maps and compass.

Ol' Butch
01-21-2011, 02:21 AM
I just went through the GPS choice maze this past summer. I ended up with a Garmin 60CX which gives on and off road capability. Every brand of hand held GPS has a learning curve, none are real simple. Not scary just different. You can't expect to buy one Friday and use it on the weekend. Garmin sells maps in three different ways, on a SD card, as a download from Garmin,and on a DVD disk. The most useful is the DVD which installs on your PC so you to see and work with the maps. Free maps can be downloaded from GPSfiledepot. A used Garmin ETREX plus free maps would make a cheap useful combo. MUCH good info on the ADVrider forum in the layin' down tracks section. Also most GPS units need movment for the compass function to work.

Butch

cajun shooter
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I have purchased both fixed mount and hand held Garmin's. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista model that I purchased as a back up for my boat. My wife and I go out into the Gulf of Mexico fishing off the coast of Louisiana. On one trip my brand new engine would not start nor would my electronics work. My wife was nervous as she thought we were going to spend the night. I went to my sea bag and pulled out the Vista. I used our cell phone as my VHF was also down. I called the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office which has a rescue boat and gave them our position. 2 1/2 hours later here comes that boat dead on to our position and after a several hour tow we were back on shore. Nothing is better than modern equipment.

crawfobj
01-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I've used the Garmin Etrex series for a while now. Great stuff, especially with your map, satellite photo, and compass handy.

For hunting with a buddy, you can't beat the Garmin Rino series though. These have a FRS/FMRS radio built in, and you can see your buddy's current location on the map on your unit. One button to "go-to" your buddy's location in the event of an emergency, downed animal, or just a lunch break. Full featured radio too. A little more expensive, but worth it for hunting public land with a buddy or buddies, especially if one or more of you is not familiar with the place.

Normal cautions around map and compass (and the ability to use them!) apply, along with extra batteries...

taminsong
01-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Guys,

Is it really true that one can get a topo map of any place in the world?

If yes, my goodness, I will surely buy one for the forest where I hunt here.

To tell the truth, I never ever held a GPS and a topo map of my hunting place here! What we do is scout the area, and remember everything! If you lost in the forest (it happened to me) then be sure you have enough coins in your pocket so that you can get a ride home! [:D] after you crossed the mountains! Just joking!

Seriously, I wish I have topo maps of the hunting area. I only seen topo maps on the hands of the military.

Kynth

HamGunner
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
http://www.cartographic.com/xq/asp/philippines/topographic/maps/rid.209/tid.1/sid.0/cid.0/vid.0/oid.0/qx/hub/index.asp
Topo maps of the Philippines

AZ-JIM
03-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Like many of you I use my GPS mostly for marking where I park my truck. Also for marking rubs, scrapes, water, etc. If I'm not actually using it I turn it off to conserve batteries. I've noticed that somtimes in a little tree cover it will lose signal anyway.

Always carry extra, fresh batteries
Always carry topo maps of the area you are in, or forest svc. maps minimum
Always carry a compass
Know how to use the GPS BEFORE going out in the woods!!

Several years ago my dad, my brother in law and I had an elk hunt. My dad bought my brother in law and I new GPS's, the unit wasn't the cheapest but by no means was it top of the line either. We decided to learn how to use them on the fly...bad idea. This particular model seemed to work fine; set truck location, head into the woods. Unknown to me, if you weren't traveling consistently at a fast enough pace, the unit would not track/update your position. The pace you had to go for it to function was just a little faster than you can trek up hills, over fallen trees etc. When I would get on flat ground again it would update and tell me I'm such and such distance and what direction to go. When you know you've gone past where you should have found the truck and the unit updates again telling you to go a different direction with more distance it starts to become a problem. I relied on a piece of equipment I was unfamilliar with, and with no map or compass, and not paying enough attention because "I have a GPS" and ended up lost. I was only 3 hours late for our rendezvous at the truck not to mention worn out.

Know how to use the GPS BEFORE going out in the woods!!

I have a better unit now and I know how to use it. It's a Garmin GPS12. It's simple, it works well, I can upload/ download waypoints to and from my topo software.

az-jim

Artful
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
OK, I'll tell my Garmin story - wife wanted to go visit "OLD TUCSON STUDIO" which is a movie set and museum down close to city of Tucson but not actually in the city - So I start typing in "Old Tucson" and bing a co-ordinate pops up suggesting that is what I want so I assume it is and say map it and off we go - we leave phoenix in the right direction and it takes off onto a two lane going west of Tucson so I "ASSUME" all is well and drive like a good german soldier would - follow directions the GPS gives turn here, speed up, slow down, turn there, told me turn onto a dirt road - now I'm not brilliant but I know a movie lot/tourest destination isn't going to be on a one lane dirt road but now I'm curious - wife is upset cause I want to see what's out there showing up as "OLD TUCSON" in the GPS - so after a mile or more on this rutted getting worse dirt track found a sign that really freaked the wife out so we turned around and went back to the highway and followed the tourest signs in.

CLICK it if you want to see how ICE protects US Territory...
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1184/tresspassq.th.jpg (http://img853.imageshack.us/i/tresspassq.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I later talked with a friend (retired border patrol tracker) who basically said he wouldn't go in that area with out his AR and backup - so wife has good instincts

I'd still like to know what "OLD TUCSON" the GPS is alluding too but I'll do my research at the library.