PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark III Hunter

Ben
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I purchased this one today :

Mark III Hunter ....Any of you guys own one of these ? Your opinions ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0753.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0757.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0762.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0758.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0754.jpg

vernm
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I've had one a couple of years. It's a keeper! Great trigger. Great accurracy.

I bought four extra mags. Shoots reliably from all six mags with sub sonic Wolf match ammo.

With a red dot scope, you can zip through steel plates like Jerry Miculik.

Ben
08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
That sounds real good !

Ben

Johnch
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
How is your trigger ?
As I have only shot 1 Mk III and the trigger was rough and heavy
But that was when they first came out

Hope you have great shooter like my Mk II's are
As I squirl hunt with the 10" one

John

Ben
08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
The trigger on this one is less than 3 lbs. , clean and crisp.

82nd airborne
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
excellent with a can on the end.

lead Foot
08-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Just ordered a the target model (slab barrel)$699. AUS. Please let us know how it shoots Ben. The Hunter model sells for $715. AUS. You guys get it lucky on the price:sad:
Lead foot;

Bret4207
08-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Can't speak for that particular model, but my 22/45 MkIII actually treads on the heels of my FILs High Standard Supermatic. That, gentlemen, is saying something!

Ben
08-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I now have a 25 yr old Japanese made Tasco , Pro Class, 2 power pistol scope ( 30 mm ) on the pistol.

The scope has tapered cross hairs with a small dot. Reticle etched into the glass. Super clear optics on this one.

This pistol is a real shooter ! !

I put up a 1" circular florescent paster dot up at 50 yards. Once the pistol was sighted in, I could easily ' chew out ' the paster.

Squirrels better beware !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/PICT0002.jpg

crabo
08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Ben;983959]I now have a 25 yr old Japanese made Tasco , Pro Class, 2 power pistol scope ( 30 mm ) on the pistol.

The scope has tapered cross hairs with a small dot. Reticle etched into the glass. Super clear optics on this one.

QUOTE]

I have one of these scopes on my High Standard Supermatic. I love it. Too bad you can't find a comparable 30mm pistol scope anymore.

Ben
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
crabo :

I walked into a gun shop in B'ham a few yrs. ago and saw this one ( NIB ) in their display. I " $$ negotiated $$ " a little bit with the fellow on the price, I ended up paying $75 out the door.

I didn't have anything in mind for the scope that day, I just felt like it was a good buy, so...I grabbed it.

Glad I've got it now. You're right, these are nice scopes !

Ben

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I have the MK 11 stainless 9 inch with Tasco 1.25-4x. Not much out there to compare with.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Ben
08-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Mine is a SHOOTER, I'm glad that I own it.

Ben

bobthenailer
08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
i have 3 of those old tasco scopes with the tapered dot crosshairs ! not for sale!

Arisaka99
08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
You dont want that gun!!! ;) hahaha

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Just handled a Mark III hunter yestreday. Suprised it didn't have a thumb rest grip like my MII Slabside.

If it shoot anywhere close to as well as my Slabside, it will be a keeper for sure.

Mine likes a number of ammos, but really likes the Wolf Match Extra.

25yd, 10 into a ragged hole, way less then the size of a grouse head.

Call it my "MOGH" - Minute Of Grouse Head.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Casting Timmy
09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I have that same one with the valquertez sp? trigger in it.

The only problem was with the front sight screw kept coming loose since day one until I put some pipe thread sealer on it. I tried loctite and a lot of other things, but then moved onto this permatex teflon pipe thread sealer. I fear the day for removing that screw, but it's not going anywhere now.

ktw
09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
My father has a Mark III like yours. I have a MK I bull barrel that I bought back in the early 80s.

They are both good shooters. I prefer the square partridge sights on the MK I over the V and Fiber optic on the MK III.

Mine has had a red dot on and off it over the years. With optics they will hold their own with most 22 rifles.

-ktw

trappst
09-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe you guys can help me out. My Mark III hunter doesn't like to eject a live round from the chamber. After removing the mag and pulling the bolt back (easy or with force), the chambered round won't extract. I'm forced to use a pocket knife to get it out.

Everything functions as it should during firing. Ammo is CCI mini mag HP's

Is there a fix or is it an ammo issue?

Ben
09-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe you guys can help me out. My Mark III hunter doesn't like to eject a live round from the chamber. After removing the mag and pulling the bolt back (easy or with force), the chambered round won't extract. I'm forced to use a pocket knife to get it out.

Everything functions as it should during firing. Ammo is CCI mini mag HP's

Is there a fix or is it an ammo issue?

When is the last time you gave your chamber a good thorough cleaning ?

trappst
09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Thank you for the reply Sir! The gun is very new....less than 100 rounds down the tube. Although that doesn't mean there isn't some gunk or residual oil in there causing my problem.

I'll give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

Thanks!

Ben
09-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Once it is clean, shoot 2 other brands and see if it is that particular lot of CCI mini mag HP ammo that is creating your problem.

Wouldn't be the 1st time something like that has happened with .22 ammo.

Ben

GRid.1569
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
SIGH... if only I could have one.... too hell with british gun laws....

Silvercreek Farmer
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Fellow at the range let me shoot his Hunter. A few weeks later I bought a 22/45 from a pawn shop courtesy of the county Sheriff, it was a drug raid seizure! It's One of my favorite guns. Just last week I put three in an inch offhand at 25 yards with iron sights (monkeys and typewriters!) That's about as good as I can do even off a bag, but I don't doubt the previous claims using glass at all. I assume I have a stock trigger and it feels good to me. The Hunter I shot was reworked to a 1lb or so and was too light for my tastes as I carry mine into the field from time to time. I've popped many squirrels, usually in the 15 yard range, might miss 1/10.

trappst
09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but wanted to update my extraction issue for those interested.

Gave the chamber/barrel a good cleaning although it wasn't very dirty. The CCI mini mag HP's still won't extract from the chamber (live round).

I tried CCI blazers, CCI stingers, Federal bulk HP's, Wolf Match and Winchester bulk lead rounds and all extracted just fine.

Ben
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Not my 1st time to see certain .22 LR , rifles and pistols that won't tolerate a certain brand of ammo.

Have you compared the dimensions of the working rounds vs. the CCI ammo that doesn't work ?

Could be a bullet dia. issue ? The bullet dia. of the CCI ammo may be slightly larger than the other ammo that is chambering and etracting OK.

exile
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I have been trying to find a Ruger Mark III (not 22/45) with a good trigger for a while. Can't seem to. I have a Mark II target that is about 13 years old that has a fantastic trigger, but the Mark III's I have tried have tirggers that are heavy, rough and have some creep to them.

I have seen several Mark II competition models (used) that I like but am wary of buying a used .22 because I figure they have been shot a lot and I am not knowlegeble enough to buy a used gun with confidence.

exile

Wild Bill 7
11-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Late to this page, I bought a Mark III from a friend. He couldn’t adjust the sights at all and when I shot it it wanted to shoot 4 inches right. Ugh, so I had a cheap Simmons red dot I picked up at Wally World on sale for $8. Put the rail on and the dot and I’m a happy camper.

buckwheatpaul
11-15-2021, 05:57 PM
I've had one for quite few years....it is a tack driver and would not part with it....the only issue is the disassembly....but the RUGER SITE has a great video on the subject plus the customer service is of great help. I down loaded two U-Tube's on disassembly but they left a few things out so the actural RUGER SITE videos are top drawer ..... If I can answer any questions please feel free to pm me and I will send you my telephone number.....Paul

gunther
11-15-2021, 09:02 PM
Don't worry about buying a used Ruger 22 semi auto pistol. The Mk2's are widely considered to be the best of the type and are at least 20 years old. Good triggers are usually Volquartsen aftermarket installations. $125 or so extra and worth every penny. A bent .243 cleaning brush and Kroil or Ed's Red are a good combination for chamber cleaning. Installing or reworking the trigger will make it clear that you don't want to take these apart to clean them. Scrubbing the chamber and a q tip and solvent and a dentist's pick for the breech area will do the trick.

RJM52
11-23-2021, 08:16 PM
Another MKIII Hunter lover here...when I first saw them announced I thought it was the best looking Standard Model of all time...and I love the heavily fluted bull barrel...really makes it balance nice.

Bought my first one, the original 6 7/8" shortly after they came out...it was "used" but didn't look like it had ever been fired. Mounted a Leupold MX 2X scope on it and it shoots great. Did have a local smith do a trigger job on it...

A few years later found one of the 5.5" limited edition models. It had a GREAT trigger. Ended up getting a TacSol PacLite upper to shoot it with a suppressor....

And finally at the same shop the second one came from there was a LNIB 4.5"...this was shortly after the introduction of the MKIV and they just about gave it to me.... It has the best balance of all and again a GREAT trigger...

Only major modification to all of them was to replace the rear V sight blade with a square notch white outline...

Bob

Thundarstick
11-24-2021, 06:24 AM
My wife and I each have one. Her's is the target model and mine is the hunter model. I've removed the loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect from them and installed a slot filler on both. I had a mark II i carried for years, but absolutely love these MK III pistols, they are just so smooth. I've put thousands on thousands of rounds of mini mags through mine and can't recall a malfunction, and it's more accurate than I am.

sparky45
11-24-2021, 11:09 AM
I totally agree; the Mark III is fabulous! Mine is a SS version and has great balance and hasn't had a malfunction, not a single one. One thing I did though is to replace the plastic LCI with a SS piece.

Thundarstick
11-26-2021, 11:24 PM
I totally agree; the Mark III is fabulous! Mine is a SS version and has great balance and hasn't had a malfunction, not a single one. One thing I did though is to replace the plastic LCI with a SS piece.

Please tell me is a slot filler, not a SS LCI. The very first ones did have a metal LCI that could actually discharge the round if struck with enough force, so Ruger changed to plastic.

sparky45
11-27-2021, 10:03 AM
No, it is a "slot filler", doesn't move like the plastic thing.

Thundarstick
11-28-2021, 10:06 PM
Remove the magazine disconnect, and your magazines will fall free when you hit the mag release, instead of having to be pulled free.

They are just great guns!

sparky45
11-28-2021, 11:11 PM
Already did that, and you're right, they are great guns!