PDA

View Full Version : ID Help PLEASE!

gcollins
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Guys,
I have a Old Hodgon power, it is a very fine stick, smallest I have ever seen.
I also have a power that is marked H335OS or could be H3350 S, I can't tell if the second from the last is a letter O or a number 0, This is a shiney ball powder
and I also have a can that looks like it is 4895 it is a stick powder and is a little bigger than the other stick powder.
I would be very great full for any and all advice and will not hold anyone count able for the advice.
We are all guessing here, and the safety of using this is ALL on ME.
just stating that so no one will not post because of liabilty!

WE live in a sue happy world, lots of people looking to scam others.
Thanks
G

wiljen
08-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow that leaves things absolutely wide open so let me start by saying unless you are pretty damn sure of what you have, use it for fertilizer.

In order, the very fine stick powder from hodgdon could be H4198 or H322. I'm guessing it is an older powder so the newer benchmark and varget are out and due to the size 4895, 4350, and 4831 are less likely.

The ball powder marked H335OS I'm going to guess as H335 (old stock).

The what looks like 4895 stick powder could be anything from IMR 3031 through IMR 5010.
Near impossible to tell from the granules what they are.

Do you have any hint what they might have been used in? Even knowing what the original owner loaded for might tip you off as to what they likely are.

TCLouis
08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Tightwad that I am, I seldom will I be heard uttering these words, but this seems like the proper time . . .

FERTILIZE THE FLOWERS/LAWN

spqrzilla
08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Looks like fertilizer to me.

That's my attitude to any mystery powder.

Shiloh
08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
The S may have stood for short grain.

Shiloh

STP22
08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I was given 48 pounds of various powder that was stored in an outbuilding in an old fridge awhile back. The few non-original containers of powder were spread in my backyard...while I chanted and shook chicken feet over the lawn. Was hoping a Sierra Matchkng tree would appear. Alas....no joy;)

If you can`t identify it, toss it.

9.3X62AL
08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
You mean to tell me......that planting Nosler Partitions WON'T grow bushes you can pick bullets from? That Buckshot.......what a kidder.

BerdanIII
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Why not call Hodgdon or shoot them a email and ask them? If they ever handled it, someone there will know. I'll look in my books and see if it's mentioned anywhere. Do you have any idea how old it is?

Edit: No luck on data from my sources. Hodgdon would be your best bet.

mdi
08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Why not call Hodgdon or shoot them a email and ask them? If they ever handled it, someone there will know. I'll look in my books and see if it's mentioned anywhere. Do you have any idea how old it is?

And mebbe include pics of the can/container...

Papa Jack
09-29-2010, 06:32 PM

I don't suppose the containers have a LOT number on them ??? If so, send it to Hodgdon, might help then ID the stuff........ "PJ"