PDA

View Full Version : Under Hammers

Boz330
08-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Just curious if any of the guys that got the Deer Creek under hammer info from me have done anything with them yet.

Bob

rhbrink
08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Yep, got one and got a few barrels shooting works great, pretty neat action just really like being able to change barrels to suit my mood for the day. I bought one new barrel a Rice .40 never had a .40 before and just wanted one. Shoots 1 hole groups at 50 yards and at 100 can keep them down to around 2" if the conditions are great and I'm up to it for the day, that doesn't always happen. The .40 is everything I expected easy to shoot, not much powder or lead = a lot of fun. I recycled a couple of old barrels that I had setting around for 30 years or so stuff that I took off other rifles didn't really plan on doing anything with them just didn't want to throw them away. One of these is a Douglas .45 that I used to shoot in many matches years ago and just got tired or something anyway didn't shoot so well anymore, so I cut both ends off recrowned and rethreaded for a breechplug and put her on the Deer Creek, rifling looks good but where you load a tight ball and patch it is a bit draggy can feel some rough spots. Shows up shooting too but I think it'll work out patches show a bit of cutting on the rifling once in a while a little work maybe a bit of lapping will make this barrel shoot like it use to I hope and if it doesn't thats ok too.
The other barrel is a H H barrel that I won somewhere and just never could make shoot a good as I thought it should. Gave it the same treatment as about with the same results no better or no worse it's a .50 and I cut the barrel down to 30" and will make a hunter out of this one, I can get 1 inch groups at 50 yards which is good enough haven't shot it at 100 yet which if it cools off I'll get this done this week I hope.
Also got .32 GM that was a drop in on a Lyman Trade rifle that just never could warm up to. Had to cut the breech off and rethread had some oddball thread, just got that done so havn't had time to work on it much yet. It's going to be a little short more like a buggy rifle but should make a dandy squirrel killer.
So how's that for a report?[smilie=s:

Boz330
08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Outstanding! Glad to see that someone is getting something built. Those are the neatest actions.

Bob

EdZ KG6UTS
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Muzzleloader builder supply has underhammer actions.
http://muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/cgi-bin/mbscart/agora.cgi
I bought one set but have not worked it yet. My other u hammer is based on Hopkins and Allen/Numrich Arms action.

EdZ KG6UTS