PDA

View Full Version : Need some Honest feedback....Daughters 22.

Just1Mor
08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
First things first, took the action apart and degrease and de-rust everything. Try to figure out what everything did before they had got to it and put it back together to see if I could get it to cycle. Well after some grinding, welding, filing and a piece of old drill bit and some sheet metal, it finally cycles rounds better than out of the factory.

So at this point I needed to take all the pits and rust and scares about of the barrel and action. I started off with a good rub with some naval jelly and a good degreaser to get most of the rust off. Then I draw filed the barrel taking bits of metal to smooth out the pits and deep scratches. Then alternating against and with the grain took it down to 600 grit sandpaper and finished with the buffing wheel. That’s where it sits right now for lack of the bluing tanks (still putting them together).

Now for the stock! This was a learning experience because I have never tried to do something like this before. Again someone tried to take the stock down to be a pistol grip and did not do a very good job to start. There were too many deep gouges to try and raise the grain and the wood I used for the butt was not of great quality to begin with so I decided to change it up a bit. So after using dowels for attach both pieces and filling with a little wood filler and a ton of sanding, I painted it a purple color with some reflective flake so my daughter would have a true one-off.

I still have some work to do and am thinking about bluing the metal but looks cool for now. And it was cheap. Let me know what you all think...

deltaenterprizes
08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Purple is not my favorite color, I prefer blue. Ok for a girl I guess, other than that it looks great!

JeffinNZ
08-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey, the colour matches my longjohns!!!

wills
08-03-2010, 12:01 AM
What about Lindstroms ferro phosphate (or whatever) finish for the metal?

No_1
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
It looks like it was a nice project. I think I would have flattened out the bottom of the forend with some wood so it could be more "rest" friendly. How much did she help in the project?

The current project my 17 y/o and I am working on is a Martini Cadet in 218 mashburn Bee. We really need to get the stock work done then finish the metal work but boys seem to take up all her time.

R.

OutHuntn84
08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Looks great, bet she will really appreciate all your hard work!

zuke
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't see a custom cut fit's all cell phone holder or MP3 socket.

But it does look amazing!

Just1Mor
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
What about Lindstroms ferro phosphate (or whatever) finish for the metal?

I have been thinking about that. when i saw what the stock came out like that made me think of coloring the metal.

Is that like the SuraCote bake on stuff?

I have been wondering if there is a solution that you can develope a redish blue but changing chemicals in the hot bluing solution.

wills
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I have been thinking about that. when i saw what the stock came out like that made me think of coloring the metal.

Is that like the SuraCote bake on stuff?

I have been wondering if there is a solution that you can develope a redish blue but changing chemicals in the hot bluing solution.

It is a shiny black, if I recall correctly. You boil it. Titanium nitride comes in colors, but, probably is not practical to do yourself.

Just1Mor
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
It is a shiny black, if I recall correctly. You boil it. Titanium nitride comes in colors, but, probably is not practical to do yourself.

I have looked into that, the only thing I am missing from my bluing let up is the carbon steel tanks. I need to weld them up but waiting for the welding supply to come through with the welding wire that is pure steel without copper zinc magn, etc.
I have also been wanting to talk to a chemist about what chemical make different colors of oxidation. I have now sodium nitrate, potassium nitrate, sudium hydroxyde, potassium cloryde and sulfuric acid for the cleaning bath. the only thing i could not find but can make would be the spirits it nitre. cant find ether anywhere, and i dont have the appropriate lisenscne to attain it yet (chemical grade that is).

But i have been reading and wondering if adding ferrous would give a redish tint? maybe calcium salts, i remember reading in brownelles Kinks that a dudes cat fell into his bluing solution and after that it produced and "beautiful redish tint". Need to experiment. pardon my spelling.

wills
08-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Felix or Lindstrum could tell us.