PDA

View Full Version : The price is right!

Freightman
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Have a acquaintance who said he couldn't afford the equipment to start reloading, almost in the same breath he said he bought 2000 rounds of ammo and the bill was $700 +. I said you could have got a lot of reloading equipment for that and had a continuous supply. He didn't respond so I guess he didn't want to reload anyhow.

fredj338
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
That excuse doesn't hunt. Your buddy is likey afraid of reloading. I hear too much cost for eauip & not enough time, both BS for a shooter that shoots at least 200rds a month. $700 buys a pretty nice reloading setup; LNL or 550B w/ acces. Then his next 2K rounds would be about $300.

jimb16
08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Heck, in the last 2 days spare time I threw together 250 rounds of 12 guage ammo. Didn't take any time at all. I've gotten used progressives for rifle pistol and shotgun at huge discounts. I just paid $325 for a Ponsness-Warren 12 guage loader. and blew threw 125 rounds just making sure all of the adjustments were correct! The other progressives are RL 550Bs. I got one of them for $150.Too expensive? I don't think so. Too much time? It takes longer going to the ammo shop for a case than it does to reload one! And costs a whole lot less.

tbonifie
08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
As quick as it is AFTER you've learned how to do it well and safely, starting out reloading is a huge time-sink, I can understand some people just don't have the patience for it. If you're OCD like me, it's just another obsession...

:bigsmyl2:

Have a acquaintance who said he couldn't afford the equipment to start reloading, almost in the same breath he said he bought 2000 rounds of ammo and the bill was $700 +. I said you could have got a lot of reloading equipment for that and had a continuous supply. He didn't respond so I guess he didn't want to reload anyhow.

qajaq59
08-03-2010, 06:33 AM
He didn't respond so I guess he didn't want to reload anyhow. I'd say you are correct.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-03-2010, 07:18 AM
It isn't expensive to get the things you need to reload.
It starts getting expensive for the things I want to have. Just like any other hobby.

No_1
08-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Some people are the instant gratification type. It is easier for them to "buy it now" then to do it them selves. It seems like those are the same people who have enough money to get the latest stuff because it is the thing to have only to sell it later at a huge discount because it is not the latest thing.

I love those kind of people!:drinks:

DIRT Farmer
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I would have to buy more brass if more people reloaded. I thinl my 5 gallon bucket of 9mm will last me, but I only have about 2 gallons of 223. durned shame I want to shoot things other people reload.

Dframe
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I can't even BEGIN to calculate the money I saved loading Thousands of thousands of rounds in the last 40 years. Until I bought a 650 a couple of years ago I had been using the same lyman spar-t for about 35 years (I'm STILL using it). I bought it used in about 1970 for $25. Almost all of my many die sets were purchased new, as specials came along from the distributors and I've rarely spent more than $18 a set. I'm STILL using the first die set I ever bought, (with that used spar-t). A set of Lyman .45/70s

Jeff H
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
....He didn't respond....

Don't upset the poor fella. He's going to need a friend to get rid of that brass for him. He may not be able to afford to drive the buckets to the scrap yard.

DLCTEX
08-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Some people should never reload as they're a walking time bomb with tools or technical things. Some of those people are relatives, on the wifes side.:bigsmyl2:

chris in va
08-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I always get asked at the range about my reloading. They unanimously say, "I thought about it but costs too much".:veryconfu

Of course they are quite surprised when I point out my entire setup is around $120.

Mal Paso
08-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I guess he didn't want to reload anyhow.

"Man's got to know his limitations" Harry Callahan

Seriously for me Shooting was the Gateway Drug that lead to reloading, casting and gunsmithing. If he can stop at just shooting maybe he actualy has a Life.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, but if the ammo dries up, and no longer on the shelf, and he is use to just going to the store for his box a week/month his gun will be useless, a reloader that has bought in quantity will still be shooting, I always stock up by use 5 pounds of powder by 10 more . . . there may come a day, and could be soon, that components may not be available!

I do know a guy that has 20' container full of cases of ammo . . . but most people don't have that kind of money . . . would be cheaper to just have the components around!

XWrench3
08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
just rediculous. he could be on his way to saving enough money to shoot forever! LOL! really, he has a problem with reloading. what that is is anybody's guess. if he is a close freind (or you would like it to head in that direction) maybe you could have him over next time you reload and introduce it to him. then next time he thinks about buying a large quanity of ammo. he might change his mind. beware though, you might create a monster. if he decides to start reloading, and you are the one introducing him to it, he will automaticly think of you as a mentor.

qajaq59
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I go thru roughly 5k a year of cast reloads for just my 30-30. By scrounging lead, and using the right powder for practice, it runs me tops maybe $500 a year to shoot. And I suspect that it's lower. Factory ammo would be closer to $5,000 a year.

Yeah he's right, loading his own would be silly. :bigsmyl2:

Echo
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Well - hold on. He paid something over 35 cents per round. It is REALLY HARD to reload using factory condom bullets for that price. He got a heck of a bargain, even if we are talking about pistol rounds that were loaded w/lead swaged bullets.

Of course, if we move from j-words to cast, that is a different story.

And if these that he purchased were reloads, then that is yet another story.

mdi
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Some people are the instant gratification type. It is easier for them to "buy it now" then to do it them selves. It seems like those are the same people who have enough money to get the latest stuff because it is the thing to have only to sell it later at a huge discount because it is not the latest thing.

I love those kind of people!:drinks:

Yep, some folks have guns just to shoot, clean and put away. I have guns and I can shoot, scrounge brass (an essential!), process and reload the cases. I also cast boolits and tumble/pan lube, size, inspect and drool over. So, my guns provide me with three hobbies! I can and do these hobbies at the range and at home (any time I want to at home so that extends my "firearms" hobby just that much more).

mroliver77
08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
It amazes me that some guys will tell you that a Dillon press is way too expensive but they have a $20,000 Harley, a $45,000 4WD Truck they drive to work with a cover over the bed, also a jet ski, an outdoor grill that cost more than my van, a sports team leather jacket($400.) a television that is larger than the main viewer on the Starship Enterprise, etc, etc...
Like No1 says I love those people as when they need a new toy the old one will sell at a great loss and cash right now can get me a great deal.
Really, if some would rather buy all their ammo new I say more power to them!
J

mpmarty
08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
He wants fish. You want to teach him to fish. He just wants the fish.

qajaq59
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I guess I'll just assume your friend feels about loading the same way I feel about playing bridge, and let it go at that. LOL

mdi
08-07-2010, 11:18 AM
He wants fish. You want to teach him to fish. He just wants the fish.

:rolleyes:[smilie=l::rolleyes:

casterofboolits
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I love these guys too! They usually leave thier once fired brass at the range for people like us to scarf up! :bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:[smilie=w: