PDA

View Full Version : What happens if..

dangerranger
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I know this has been asked before, and tried to search comming up dry. so here goes, I know why smokeless lube is a no-no for bp. but what happens if bp lube is used on smokeless? DR

geargnasher
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
There is no powder/lube compatability issue, if that's what you mean.

You don't give any details, and it's difficult to give you a general answer for all situations.

In most cases BP lubes are fine for low-velocity, smokeless cartridge ammunition, but there are some drawbacks and no real advantages. Kind of like going out of your way to run bias-ply tires on your late-model Suburban. It will work, but not as well as you'd like in most cases.

Gear

markinalpine
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
If you EVER use BP Lube for Smokeless Cartridges, ALL your children WILL be BORN NECKID!

Mark :kidding:

Wayne Smith
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Wonderful, Mark! But then, mine already were. Actually I have Emmerts in one lube sizer for BP and pistol applications other than high pressure pistol. The other one has Speed Green for the rifle and high pressure applications. As long as Emmerts or other BP lubes are reserved for low pressure loadings you have no problem. I use it routinely up through 38 Special loadings.

dangerranger
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
There is no powder/lube compatability issue, if that's what you mean.

You don't give any details, and it's difficult to give you a general answer for all situations.

In most cases BP lubes are fine for low-velocity, smokeless cartridge ammunition, but there are some drawbacks and no real advantages. Kind of like going out of your way to run bias-ply tires on your late-model Suburban. It will work, but not as well as you'd like in most cases.

Gear

Sorry most everything I load are low velosity. the advantage to me is Ive come into a good supply of bees wax. currently I tumble lube everything with LLA. but Im wanting to try loading some BP for CAS shooting. and I just bought a 45 70 that I want to work up a load for in BP and smokeless. it would be nice to be able to share lube.[one less detail.] If it will cause me more headaches Ill set up one more lube pan [one for smokeless and another for BP] and make shure my lubes are differant colors. Thanks DR

geargnasher
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
You can use the Emmert's no problem with your smokeless 45/70 loads too, if you lose accuracy at a certain point or get fliers or leading in the barrel (assuming all else is done correctly) then you may consider making a simple and effective smokeless pan lube with some of your beewax. If it comes to that, ask for some good recipes for pan-lubing big, smokeless boolits and prepare to get swamped!

Gear

PS you can also try LLA with your 45/70 smokeless loads, some folks have good luck with it, or, more specifically, 45%LLA/45%Johnson's Paste Wax/10%mineral spirits.

leadman
08-03-2010, 01:21 AM
I have used SPG for smokeless in my 40-65 and black. Spg has also worked in my 38 Spl.

ErikT
08-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Meh. I've used the same lube for everything from my blackpowder .38-55 loads to my .45 ACP, and I've been lucky to have zero issues with anything. I've found that my recipe works with any load under about 1700 fps. Once I start working with the higher velocity stuff with gas checks, I may begin to run into trouble, but so far I can get away with the one recipe. Best thing to do is to try it and see if it works. Worst case scenario is you have to spend some time cleaning the lead out of your barrel.

Erik.

Doc Highwall
08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I use BullShops NASA lube for smokless loads.

Larry Gibson
08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
SPG and my own BP lube of 6/5 parts beeswax to virgin olive oil work very well up through 1800+ fps with numerous smokeless loads in numerous .45 cal cartridges I have used. It's all I use for both BP and smokeless loads in my trapdoor 45-70 and .45 Colt loads.

Larry Gibson