PDA

View Full Version : Are WW to Hard For Muzzleloaders?

riverwalker76
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I was talking to a buddy of mine today over a beer, and he told me that WW lead is too hard for BP boolits! He said that I need to get 99% lead to use for BP / ML and to keep my ingots separate so that I didn't mix any tin in there.

Is this true, or is he full of beans?

Maven
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Was he full of beans? Not entirely, to wit: Conical CB's (Maxi- and Minie Balls) may be too hard to start and push down bore. Round balls, however, work just fine for target practice and plinking. You should know that using WW's, either straight or with 1% Sn added, results in slightly lighter castings of a slightly larger diameter. E.g., my nominally .490" lead RB's weigh ~177 grs. When cast of WW + 1% Sn, they weigh ~174 grs. and are a few ten thousandths larger in diameter. None of my guns can tell the difference between the 2 RB's, but the WW Maxi-Balls were harder to start & seat, and I think less accurate as well.

riverwalker76
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
OK. Thanks. So ... I should probably get ahold of some straight lead then. I also read somewhere else that WW are less accurate in muzzleloaders. It has something to do with the base fanning out during firing.

Maven
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
rw76, The failure of hollow base CB's (Minie balls) cast from WW's to expand is likely true, and that very lack of expansion, may -> poor accuracy. With RB's, I've yet to see a difference.

FWAddit
08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Even lead melted down from .22 bullets, which is way softer than WW, casts up into bullets that are stiffer to load in my reproduction Remington black powder revolver than melted-down shotgun slugs or other sources of "pure."

However, they do shoot just as well. Not better, as far as I can tell.

509thsfs
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I've been saving stick on WW's for use in making RB's for my flintlocks. I made up some ingots last melting session and checked hardness and they were plenty soft for use in the flintlocks. Pretty close to pure lead. New source for RB lead for me, and free