PDA

View Full Version : 45 Cal Mold for .410?

ptr10001
08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Probably been asked but could you use a slug from a 45 Cal Mold casting at .452 in a .410 shotgun

Sorry if its a stupid question and I have misread other posts.

Particularly in a ful choke gun?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lylejb
08-01-2010, 07:50 PM
NO!

A .410 really is .410 bore diameter, then gets reduced even more in the choke. The chamber is larger. It may fit in the chamber, but it wont pass down the barrel.

trying to sqeeze a .452 down to .410 (or less) would raise pressure grossly.

Shotguns in general operate at MUCH lower pressures than rifles / pistols. The barrel isn't proofed for anywhere near that much pressure .

At best, a bulged barrel. At worst, Kaboom and your buddies get to call 911. It's just not worth it.

moulds are availible to cast 410 shotgun slugs, get one if that's what you want to do.

Sorry if its a stupid question

It's not, so don't be sorry. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

This forum has an unbelievable amout of knowledge among it's members. NEVER HESITATE TO ASK. Someone here will have an answer. Somone here has been there, done that, for almost anything. It's a great resource, I've learned so much from.

All you have to do is ask.

Welcome aboard,

be safe.

shotman
08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I did it 45 long colt in a 37 win red letter . It was a $69 gun at one time It took 2 shots and it was SCRAP split the last 6in of the barrel

GabbyM
08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
With no rifling a bullet would tumble anyway. You'd need a round ball. Or foster slug.
With any solid slug if you can't push it by hand down the choke it's going to open up the choke when it hits. Sure the slug will swag down a bit but the thin barrel will open a bit too. Or just split open. Usually balls in a patch or cupped wad that you can easily push through with a cleaning rod. In a 410 a single ball would be pretty wimpy. There are some loads out there with large buck shot from plastic shot cup wads. IIRC 36 caliber cast cap lock pistol balls. About four of them. May have been .375” balls? Loads are out there in books. Regardless of any published data you need to fit the ball to your choke. This is why you will never see single bore sized round ball loads for sale over the counter.
To adjust fit you can shoot balls with or without shot cups . Use cloth patch muzzle loader fashion. Alone or inside a shot cup. I'd never stack snug fitting balls since they can deform when pushing against one another. You've limited power in any case and a 410 will never be a deer gun. For guns like the Taurus Judge revolver three or four ball stacked loads are sold commercially. Should be able to find load data for them.

Take car as buck shot ricochets in a fierce manner.

Harter66
08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree with all of the above in any fixed choke .410 shotshell only guns and those with screw in chokes as well.

You might be more specific about your gun . Your intent might be ok in,for example, 1 of the several offerings chambered in 45Colts/45LC/410-2 1/2. A T/C Contender or Encore ?

ptr10001
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice its just I had seen a mold for sale at a bargain price.

Looks like its no use to me then.