PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Peas?

waksupi
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Has anyone ever pickled peas? Got any tips? Looks like I will need to be dealing with a few more than expected.......

oneokie
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Use your search engine to look for recipes. Several out there.

waksupi
08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I've only found one so far, for dill. I'm more of a sweet pickle type!

gon2shoot
08-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Use same recipe as pickled beets

Changeling
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Has anyone ever pickled peas? Got any tips? Looks like I will need to be dealing with a few more than expected.......

Can't you just freeze them.
I don't know anything about pickling them, sorry.

waksupi
08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I could freeze them, but like pickled asparagus, figured I'd give the peas a shot.

Rick N Bama
08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Uhhhhh, dumb question, what sort of Peas are we talking about? I'm assuming it's something other than a Purple Hull.

Rick

waksupi
08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Uhhhhh, dumb question, what sort of Peas are we talking about? I'm assuming it's something other than a Purple Hull.

Rick

Green Arrow, if that helps.

DLCTEX
08-02-2010, 10:32 PM
That's what we call English peas. In these parts peas mean blackeye, or cowpeas to some. Then there are cream, purple hull, silver---something that escapes me at the moment. Blackeyes are best when shelled,cooked, and eaten in the green stage when the pea is just mature. We generally don't care for them after they're dried and then cooked. Sorry for the hijack. Pickled peas doesn't sound good to me, but pickled green tomatoes didn't either and they're good. Pickled asparagus?

Old Goat Keeper
08-02-2010, 10:50 PM
DLCTEX you forgot Crowder peas!

Waksupi just put them in your dehydrator and make dried peas. Or you can let them dry naturaly on the stalks.

Tom

waksupi
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
DLCTEX you forgot Crowder peas!

Waksupi just put them in your dehydrator and make dried peas. Or you can let them dry naturaly on the stalks.

Tom

Don't want them dry, I want them all pickly! I don't care for dried peas.

Rick N Bama
08-03-2010, 06:43 AM
OK, so it's English Peas you're wanting to pickle. I knew that if it was the other type, my wife would be interested. I think that gal would pickle weeds if she thought someone would eat them:) I've tried growing English Peas here, but I've had no luck at all.

Rick

Old Goat Keeper
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Rick try growin english peas in your area either very late fall or very early spring. They won't take much heat before they go to pot. Also Wando variety takes more heat than most varieties.

Tom

waksupi
08-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Rick try growin english peas in your area either very late fall or very early spring. They won't take much heat before they go to pot. Also Wando variety takes more heat than most varieties.

Tom

Well, I don't have a real long growing season here. I run about 95 frost free days here at this elevation, so can't plant until about the first of June. Snow on Labor Day is common in the high country!

Old Goat Keeper
08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Well Waksupi that be the price you pay for livin in God's Country! lol Little Marvel peas only take like 63 days from planting.

Tom