PDA

View Full Version : Pistol caliber rifles on Ohio deer

Frosty Boolit
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this but, why can't we use above said rifles to hunt deer in Ohio. If any one has a good reason I'd like to hear it and if you agree, how can we change this.

home in oz
08-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Better check with your fish and game Dept to be sure.

DIRT Farmer
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Indiana has pistol cal rifles legal. the defination is a cartridge must be minuim of 357 cal. mimimum length of 1.16 inch. maximum length of 1.625. I was helping teach hunter ed the other night and the thought hit me. A M/L rifle has to be loaded from the muzzle to be legal and I have a 1859 Sharps paper cartridge gun that I have wanted to hunt with. I had made a dummy cartridge to demenstrate with when I teach M/L and the devolopement of rifles. The CO had cards that gave the info on legal pistol cartridges and checking the dummy the cartridge fell in the guide lines so I ask if it was legal. He checked every thing he had and said he coulden't find anything where it would not be allowed. I'm trying it this fall.

Johnch
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this but, why can't we use above said rifles to hunt deer in Ohio.

2 years back I was to a meeting where the ODNR ask if we had questions about the laws
The pistol Cal in a rifle thing came up

Their answer was , with the current list of legal hunting implements
The warden can tell at a glance with Bino's if you are using something that should be legal
But they were afraid to many fools would think
If a lever action 44 mag is OK
How will they know my LA rifle is a 30/30 unless they handle it

Then the said fool will start blazing away at a deer running acrost a feild
With the 1 mile grid of roads , and way to much flat land
They freared way to much bad press when houses and people were hit by the law breaking hunter
As the general public and the News Media would lump all hunters into the same group with the law breaker

If any one has a good reason I'd like to hear it and if you agree, how can we change this.

I see both sides
I would be safe and a lot of others would also be safe using a rifle in a pistol cart. for deer here in Ohio

But IMO to many fools are not

Also with the current wording of what is legal in a pistol cart
As it currently reads

] handgun with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger
The funny thing , it dose not say paralell
So a handgun in 45/70 , 450 Bushmaster , 444 Marlin ect
Is legal to use , I ask and have used a TC Condender pistol in 45/70 on several deer here in Ohio

SO if they kept the current wording , a 450 Bushmater rifle would be OK
What kind of madness would happen if a hunter with a AR was seen next to a subdivision hunting deer

So I see both sides
And unless they come up with a better idea , like single shot pistol cart. rifles
With a overall case length MAX of something like the 454

IMO we will not see any type of CF rifles allowed for gun season

John

Boz330
08-03-2010, 09:28 AM
A standard practice in Southern Ohio is for a small army of hunters to line up and march across the fields and jump shoot deer with their slug guns.:shock: I can imagine the problem with doing this with rifles. I grew up in Cincinnati and my long time friend now hunts in KY with me because of several close calls from the above tactics. The worst part is that there usually isn't much left to eat and then there is the problem of who actually hit the deer.

Bob

Hickory
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
A standard practice in Southern Ohio is for a small army of hunters to line up and march across the fields and jump shoot deer with their slug guns.:shock: I can imagine the problem with doing this with rifles. I grew up in Cincinnati and my long time friend now hunts in KY with me because of several close calls from the above tactics. The worst part is that there usually isn't much left to eat and then there is the problem of who actually hit the deer.

Bob

That's standard practice everywhere in Ohio.
Shooting from Cars/Pickups is an illegal practice, but often done where I live.
Sometimes the warden catches them, most times not.
If I were a game warden I could arrest 2-5 every year.
I spend about 20% of my time in the woods, trying not getting shot.:Fire:

Frosty Boolit
08-04-2010, 05:19 PM
"With the 1 mile grid of roads"
"How will they know my LA rifle is a 30/30 unless they handle it"

That about sums it up, although I'm certain there are some slugs that could make this distance.

Thinking about Woodbury Wildlife Area, where I usually hunt, a rifle really has no advantage over a 12 ga. anyway. With the possible exception of accuracy which is why I wanted it in the first place. Either I'm doing something wrong or 12 ga. are not as inherently accurate as a lever rifle.

Changeling
08-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Bob

Don't you just Love county and state government? Where in the Hell do they dig up these regulations. However i guess the biggest question is who elects these officials? Get your butts out there and vote, and don't be afraid during the year to "Mouth OFF" as loud as possible about rights, you know the ones the constitution gave you!!!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Minnesota changed our law before the 2009 season regarding calibers.
in the northern half of the state where it's legal to use a rifle to hunt deer,
(the southern half of the state, only a shotgun using slugs or pistol is allowed)
the new law reads like this, "at least .220 caliber and with center-fire ignition"
So as far as the DNR is concerned you could use a rifle in 25 ACP or a 22 Hornet.
How stupid is that ?
Jon

waksupi
08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
There is a difference between a rifle and shotgun. A shotgun makes a wound that will not bleed as freely as a smaller caliber hole. And, they blood shot a lot more meat.

pmeisel
08-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Looking for logic in laws is like looking for love in all the wrong places...

Changeling
08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Looking for logic in laws is like looking for love in all the wrong places...

That beats the heck out of what I said!

Frosty Boolit
08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
There is a difference between a rifle and shotgun. A shotgun makes a wound that will not bleed as freely as a smaller caliber hole. And, they blood shot a lot more meat.

Slug holes bleed quite well but I have never seen a rifle wound on a deer.

Boz330
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Slug holes bleed quite well but I have never seen a rifle wound on a deer.

A HP rifle creates hydrostatic shock that is much more likely to drop a deer in it's tracks. That is not the case every time though, a bad hit is a bad hit. And an exit wound bleeds much more than an entrance wound. Hydrostatic shock also destroys more meat because of the velocity.
I have had to follow deer much farther with MLs or BPCR than a HP rifle with a similar hit. The tenacity of the individual animals can obviously make a difference but these are my observations.

Bob

Pb2au
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
To be fair, we here in the Buckeye state are getting bigger crowds every year from out of state arriving to go for the whitetails. The bad part though, there are a lot of slag hunters running that do hail from Ohio.
Where we hunt in the eastern side of the state you won't see many shots over 50 yards unless you are on a power or pipe line. I do understand that a lot of the state is relatively flat, which lends traction to the "no rifle" policy. I hope that there could be a compromise, like Minnesota's laws, in the future.

Don1955
08-21-2010, 10:05 PM
:-x
hey all
Ohio regulators are all appointments by the govenor. Not all but most are old and completly out of touch with reality.
I called the game dept and was told I could carry my personal protection handgun provided I have a conceal carry permit which I do.
I was also told I could NOT use a 4" S&W 44mag to hunt deer with, but it was ok to use a 1911 5" 45acp. Go figure.
And while I'm on a rant they need to grow a pair and start SERIOUSLY penalizing law breakers when it comes to poaching. The slap on the wrist they give out now is really a joke.
Then they wonder why hunting no's are down.

OK my 2 cents rant away.