PDA

View Full Version : .458 mag to .458 Lott ?

Dogg
08-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a ruger #1 in .458 mag that I would like to convert to .458 Lott, tried to find a smith here in Shreveport but couldn't come up with one that would do it.

So my question is: is this something that a novice could do with a reamer by hand or am I going to have to search farther for a smith? Would like to find a reamer that does not increase the throat since I plan to shoot pb boolits 99% of the time.
Thanks
Dogg

scb
08-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I guess what it comes down to is are you willing to send it back to Ruger (or someone else) and bear the cost of re-barreled if things don't go well. If you take it to a gunsmith while you'll pay more he's on the hook if something goes wrong. While this job would not be particularly difficult it would require time, patience and an understanding of how the cartridge headspaces. If your game, here ya go: http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=302

Dogg
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
LOL, guess I will keep looking for a smith, now that you put it that way.

Intel6
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I had my Ruger #1H in .458 WM punched out to .460 Weatherby by a place in Wyoming that specialized in #1's. I honestly can't remember the name but they had the reamer and were willing to do the work. In my case witht he .460 they also had to recontour the block so the bigger case cleared it when it was done. for the Lott I can't see anything more and a ream job.

Neal in AZ