PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' me some GARAND!!!

cricco
07-31-2010, 10:57 PM
So, a few days ago I posted a request for some help with a cast load for my M1 Garand. BruceB was kind enough to point me in the right direction with some powder suggestions for my Lee 309-160-2R boolits. I ordered 4 different powders, and I started with IMR 4064. My starting load was 30 grains of IMR 4064 with my O.A.L of
"3.050. This load was about 4 inches low at 100 yards, with a 5" group, and did not cycle the action. Next I moved up to 32 grains. These were hitting the middle of the target, but again, 5" groups, and the action would not cycle. Next I tried 34 grains, and BINGO! Bullseye hits at 100 yards, and a 1.5" group! The action cycled perfectly! I then attempted 36 grains, and my groups opened back up to 5". I ran out of light, but I did load up 8 more rounds with 35 grains of powder. I just want a smidgen more power behind that boolit, if I can get it. If anyone can tell me the approximate velocity of this load at 34 grains and 160 grain boolit, I would be much appreciative. I do have a chronograph, but I won't have any time for using it for quite a while. Thanks for all the help guys. I love this site!!:lovebooli

PatMarlin
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Way to go. General Patton would be proud.

I still haven't fired mine yet. Did you happen to slug your bore?

cricco
08-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Way to go. General Patton would be proud.

I still haven't fired mine yet. Did you happen to slug your bore?

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I did not slug my bore. However, I did size my boolits to .310, and I will say that my bore is cleaner after shooting these boolits than it was before! In fact, it's shiney, and spotless!