PDA

View Full Version : mauser gunsmith needed

buck1
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello all I have a old lg ring mauser I traded for years ago. It has a sporter stock and a redfield peep . I had taken it to a(good) gunsmith when I got it. He looked it over for me and said it was ok to shoot but the throat was sloppy . He said it was the lg ring long action. I put it in the safe and there it sat for gosh 20ish years now.
I think thats long enugh. I want to get it re bbld to 270 win and get the action drilled and tapped for a scope, as well as have the bolt turned and swepd back. Also I want to get a better sporter stock for the old girl.
My gunsmith friend has since went to the great shooting range in the heavens( i miss him he was a old school smith and a GREAT friend)
any way What do I need to look for when buying a stock? And could someone recomend a good some what reasonably priced smith?
Thanks guys!!!!
PS How can I ID this rifle?

Frank46
08-01-2010, 02:11 AM
To I.D. this mauser we'd need pics pf the receiver ring top left and right,sights ah heck as many as you can post. That should help detirmine what it is you have. Frank

buck1
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks frank I will get some pics up.

DnB54
08-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I just had my VZ24 rebarreled and a few other things done by a gunsmith in Payne OH.
His name is Duane Burkley. He owns Burkley Gun Shop. He specializes in Mauser work.
His email address is dmburkley@kcaccess.com. He only answers his email in the evenings M-F. PLUS his rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend Duane.
~Dave

buck1
08-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I just had my VZ24 rebarreled and a few other things done by a gunsmith in Payne OH.
His name is Duane Burkley. He owns Burkley Gun Shop. He specializes in Mauser work.
His email address is dmburkley@kcaccess.com. He only answers his email in the evenings M-F. PLUS his rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend Duane.
~Dave

awsome! thank you!!

i am having trouble getting pics so i will tell you what i can.........

on the side of the action"Mod.98"
on the ring" S/42"
on the ring "1937"
on the ring and bbl"113" over a small h or b cannt tell for sure.
also there is a abstract bird made only of lines with wings at a downward angle with a 7 where the head would be.
there is a "7" on the bbl top front of the ring.
on the floor plate "113" under 2 abstract eagles wings straight out and just under them is"WaAB5"
there are 3 more eagles that are polished out .
7.920 inches for the 2 stock screws ctc.
ring od is 1.410"
cal is 8MM
I dont know if you can do anything with that ?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
Thanks guys!!!!

7x57
08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you have a fine action. "S/42" is the code for the Obendorf Mauser factory, 1937 is when it was made. It is a standard length model 98 action.

Cactus Farmer
08-01-2010, 03:49 PM
PM sent.....

buck1
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
AWSOME HELP GUYS!! THANK YOU!!...Buck

Hardcast416taylor
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
You can get all the things done you mentioned, except the stock, at E.R. Shaw. A PRE-WAR Mauser 98!!!Robert

ilcop22
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
awsome! thank you!!

i am having trouble getting pics so i will tell you what i can.........

on the side of the action"Mod.98"
on the ring" S/42"
on the ring "1937"
on the ring and bbl"113" over a small h or b cannt tell for sure.
also there is a abstract bird made only of lines with wings at a downward angle with a 7 where the head would be.
there is a "7" on the bbl top front of the ring.
on the floor plate "113" under 2 abstract eagles wings straight out and just under them is"WaAB5"
there are 3 more eagles that are polished out .
7.920 inches for the 2 stock screws ctc.
ring od is 1.410"
cal is 8MM
I dont know if you can do anything with that ?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
Thanks guys!!!!

Sounds like a Russian capture. Are the serial numbers electropenciled on the rifle? How many more filing spots did you find?

David2011
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Buck,

Great project! You might want to put a Timney trigger on it while you're working on it. They're only about $50 for the 98 Mauser (using the safety on the bolt) and a huge improvement. It's an easy DIY project if you care to do it yourself. The case head for the .270 is the same as the 8mm so the boltface is ready to go. I built a 98 into a 6.5x55 and am very satisfied with the performance. I'm a huge fan of the efficiency of the 6.5mm/.264 bullets.

David

buck1
08-10-2010, 12:17 AM
No elect pencil, just stamps. very neatly done also. Thanks for the heads up on the trigger.
You know the beauty of it all is as it sits now its not a bad looking or shooting rifle and the sights are great, and I have a grand total of less than $50.00 in it But not for long. I got to make it "mine". ...Buck