PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 45 degree #2

RMulhern
07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I have nothing good to report reference changing the 45* to a 7*. After several range sessions, and using PP loads that were hereto before very accurate....it's a chore for me to now keep the shots from 200 yards inside an NRA SR Target and the diameter on it is 13"! Frankly....I'm tired....and feel as if I'm THE ONE that's had the 'ream job'!! My testing so far has been with Norma brass and three different bullets. I have not as yet tried the .45/110 with the RMC brass. No more paper rings I might add....but as for accuracy and grouping....I feel as if I am 'wandering in the desert'!! :shock: :?

nicholst55
07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm following your test results with a lot of interest. I was all set to add a 7-degree reamer to my short list; I might hold off a while now though...

montana_charlie
08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I feel as if I am 'wandering in the desert'!!
Might be a good idea to cast that chamber to verify you are in the desert you think you're in.

CM

looseprojectile
08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I am glad to see that some one else has some of the same problems I do though I do sympathize with you.
I have one of those beautiful problems myself. My problem is a Uberti 1885 40 65.
It has zero bullet seat. The 45 degree rifling starts at the case mouth. I figured that was my problem. The Italians probably copied an 86 Winchester chamber.
So far, after a couple of dozen different loads I still can't get less than 3 or 4 inch groups at a hundred yards. I have done a lot of tinkering on this rifle including hand lapping the barrel. It has one in 18 inch twist, .408" groove and I am shooting a 300 grain RCBS 410" plain base boolit around 1,300 fps. Was planning on reaming a bullet seat, although I will hold off on that now in light of what you have found with your rifle. I haven't got a boolit to paper patch for this gun yet as I would like a little more promise in the accuracy department before I buy a mould. I feel as though I am LOST in the woods:roll:.
I am sure that it is not my shooting ability as I can get near one inch groups from the 71 84 Mauser and the 375 H&H number one Ruger shoots one ragged hole at a hundred. This dang high wall has been a real pain. I may make a paper patch slug mould from an unused Lee single cavity. Going to try for .400" and 400 grains.
I hope you find some joy soon with your rifle.

Life is good

Don McDowell
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Looseprojectile , for patched bullets in that gun you'll want to keep the wrapped diameter at or under .400 and hold the weight to around 350 grs.