PDA

View Full Version : Are Blazer 40gn .22LR and CCI Mini-Mag 40gn LR the Same?

Josh Smith
07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Hello,

I got to looking at the specs on these two cartridges. Both are 40gn @ 1235fps, and both are headstamped CCI.

I would like to use the Blazers to practice and the CCI to hunt. However, I don't want to be contaminating the CCI lube with Blazer lube or vice versa. Therefore, does anyone know if they use the same stuff? I don't want to sight in one only to find out that the POI has shifted and end up having to shoot 20 just to get the barrel re-seasoned.

The CCI Mini-Mags let me hit small game at 100yds; the Blazer is not 100% consistent beyond 50yds or so. In other words, given a 1" PB for the vitals, I'm confident of hitting it with the Mini-Mags, not so much the Blazers.

I do form both in D Rock's tool, but Blazers just have more variation from cartridge to cartridge when powder charges and bullet weights are concerned.

Thanks,

Josh

DLCTEX
07-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Shoot some of both and see. My guess is they are lubed the same.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
As we all soon learn, each .22 is a rule unto itself and may or may not shoot well with an ammo your other rifles or friends rifles like.

And, CCI Mini Mags are not the same as CCI Blazer.

However, and bearing in mind the first sentance in this reply, I think from past experience that the need to shoot a number of rounds of one ammo before your rifle settles into shoot it well is blown way out of proportion to every day fact.

How anyone's rifle reacts can only be known by testing.

A friend and I recently had our second annual shoot off between his rifle, a good shoot'in Mark I Savage single shot and mine, a Clark Custom 77/22 Ruger.

This year we shot 13 - 14 different, mostly typical "off the shelf" ammos and both rifles eather grouped well right from the start or didn't. Period.

If the business about needing to season a barrel to a certain ammo was gospel in all cases, there would have been no good groups at all. Such was not the case.

Last year, we shot mostly quality target/match ammo, including Eley, Lapua and the old and very good Fed. Gold medal match ammo which is no longer available or if so, in very limited store stock.

We each shot ammo from the same boxes, taking all lot to lot differences out of the picture.

However, what was really shown was the differences in rifles.

Last year, with the high end target ammo, Jack's rifle at well less then 1/2 the price of my CRuger, shot as well in most cases and a few times better then the more expensive Clark.

But this year was a totally different out come, showing the worth of the Walther barreled Clark against the good shoot'in Savage.

This year, with the cheaper boxed and bulk ammos, the CRuger consistantly out shot the Savage. Even turning in some groups with the much cheaper ammo that riviled the pricy stuff of last years shoot off.

You may need to shoot a bunch of ammo to find a good combination of practice and hunting.

AND, the out come may come as a big surprise, which only your rifle and tests will answer.

If you find a cheap ammo which shoots way beyond expectations, buy all you can afford, OF THAT LOT#!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot