PDA

View Full Version : best foresite for ageing eyes

rollingblock
07-31-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a 32.20 Browning 53 with a lyman receiver site and the standard front bead. The front site is starting to look a little fuzzy to me now and was wondering if I should replace it with maybe a square post. Anyone else had experience with this problem and come up with a fix other than an eye transplant.

fecmech
07-31-2010, 07:10 PM
A post would be more visible and a smaller aperture on your peep sight will sharpen it up.

jh45gun
07-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Red Fiber optic sight it stands out in dark situations as well as light.

flounderman
07-31-2010, 07:36 PM
an aperture front sight will eliminate the need to see the front sight. just center the target in the hole

jh45gun
07-31-2010, 10:53 PM
an aperture front sight will eliminate the need to see the front sight. just center the target in the hole

Great for target shooting not good for hunting.

missionary5155
08-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I have found painting the front sight bead Gloss White enamel helps. I generally sharpen a wood match to a point and use that as my applicator. The paints will last a while as long as you do not get it oily.

pietro
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I started using fiber-optic front sight beads on my hunting rifles 20 years ago, and now ALL my iron-sighted rifles carry one, as soon as I get one home from purchase.

They're available in red or green, and in small/large bead diameters like Ivory & Gold bead sights, from Williams, Hi-Viz, T/C, and Tru-Glo.

For those who use their rifle to literally bust brush, and thereby needing sight protection, it's EZ enough to cut a hole in the roof of a front sight hood to admit light if one didn't want to buy such a hood ready-made from Williams.

rollingblock
08-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll think I'll try the paint to start with cause its the simplest and move on up to a fibre optic if I think its necessary.

Tom-ADC
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I used one of the grandkids white fingernail polish to highlight mine made a big difference, I have the old eye syndrome also.

Ben
08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
This may not be ideal for hunting, but for target work, it gets high marks in my opinion :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0005-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0001-2.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I have experimented with different model paint colors and have settled on blaze orange made by Testor`s. I clean the sight with alcohol and use a pointed tooth pick for applying. I agree with Ben on the Williams Twilight peep sight for drawing the eye to the center in weak light.Robert

Dobetown
08-09-2010, 06:41 PM
At 3 score plus with eye surgery twice now I had Skinner make up some wider flat posts which works for me. Even for hunting. Of course I have a lot of back ground with military post front sights. I put a Bill Bentz Marine Corp front on my 03A3 which works great for me.

08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Ya know that hindsight is always 20-20. So foresite should be so good!

Seriously, now for the front aimer question, us with aging eyes all face the same issue. Couple of ways I've done a little better with all long guns.... may not agree with everyone's opinion but hey, works for me. I try to put aperture rears on all my long guns. Next, I use either a globe front or if not practical for the globe a much thinner blade front sight. With the front blade, no matter how thin or thick, I've gone almost exclusively to the 6 O'clock hold. Seems the blurry image of a thin front blade is still more precise than the blurry image of a thick front blade :)