PDA

View Full Version : Components of a swaged .45 ACP JHP?

PerniciousBooty
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Gentlemen,

I'm trying to get into swaging and would like to start w/ .45 JHP (or JRN, whatever, just something jacketed). Problem is I'm not finding many (any) resources/instructions/information. I've tried the forum search, but haven't found much yet. Anyone out there making jacketed .45? What is your jacket made from? What do you use for your core? What's your press/die setup composed of? I've been lurking for a while here, but this is my first post, so be nice and use small words. I do not have access to a machine shop, so if your solution requires a CNC machine I may have to have you talk to my wife. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Pernicious :-D

uncleskippy
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Welcome,

Do a search on Daywalker's posts. He has been doing great work with 45 ACPs

Daywalker
07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
For my 45's, I am using 40 smith and wesson jackets and the ch4d 451 swage dies. You can contact BT Sniper and he can fix you up as well. I am using an RCBS Rock Chucker press for my swaging with a Lee .401 bullet mold 145 grain as the core. I have a couple youtube videos showing the process that I use and some posts on here as well.

I am hoping to have a video range report to post on youtube tomorrow of these and my 44's being shot and tested for accuracy.

Thanks for the kind words Uncleskippy.

Here is a link to my 45's on here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76608

PerniciousBooty
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Perfect! Thanks fellas. This is exactly what I needed. Pictures and videos :-D Time to go shopping. I'll post my results someday. Thanks.

Follow up question: anyone using copper plumbing tubing for jackets? Are there dies for such? Thanks again.

PB

uncleskippy
07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Check BT Sniper's and ANeat's posts plus others. I know BT was working on some just a little while ago