PDA

View Full Version : clips

white eagle
07-30-2010, 07:45 PM
lets say out of a 50#bucket of w/w how much weight is lost to steel clips ???
Is it that big of a deal ?
I know all the weights are different sizes but average :?:

white eagle
07-30-2010, 08:34 PM
how do you really fell c'mon don't hold back

Thecyberguy
07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I can tell you that is more than you might think. I know the pile that i need to get rid off has grown quite large.

have a good 'un,thecyberguy

dragonrider
07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
This has been hashed over in the past and IIRC 30% clips seems to be the average.

07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
A larger issue -- if you are concerned about final weight -- is how much will be lost to zinc and steel weights. But, in the end, it's no big deal...what it is, is what it is.

4719dave
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
when its time to get rid of those steel clips in the scrap bucket they go mixed in with all the other scrap

deerslayer
07-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Can someone out there count the number of times this question has been asked? We should just start a counter for this and how many lbs of ww in a bucket and simply reply to these questions with the count and a search tutorial.

doghawg
07-31-2010, 09:57 PM
What you need to do is get some WW's like these closest to the cam and the percentage of waste drops way down....:lol:

mold maker
07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
If ya want to cut the % of weight in the clips, get them from a trucking Co.
Tires produced today must be much better balanced. The average size of the weights has dropped considerably. I can remember when all wheels had the 3"-5" weights. Now some weights are more clip than lead.

a.squibload
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
What you need to do is get some WW's like these closest to the cam and the percentage of waste drops way down....:lol:

Can't find a smilie for "drooling on keyboard"...

home in oz
08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Just melt them down, skim, cast, size, load, shoot.

Repeat often as needed.

RP
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
no way to tell you how much is lost with the clips all the clips are around the same weight for the most part but the about of lead varies greatly. I have done a weight lost on a few buckets of wws but it varies so much just coming from different tire stores.

fredj338
08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I'll throw in. On an average sorted 3-5gal bucket, the loss in wt of clips runs about 15% for me.

lwknight
08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
The variables are unestimateable.
Nowdays add to that steel and zinc ever on the rise.
I got about 90 percent of my last smelt in lead.
You could lose as much as 30 percent to unuseable junk.

Suo Gan
08-01-2010, 11:08 PM
For wheel weights I end up losing 15-20% from the clips and slag.

alamogunr
08-01-2010, 11:48 PM
This doesn't answer the original question, but it may be of some interest. These figures are from a recent clean-up session where I sorted the buckets before smelting.

"As I said in my post yesterday, I finished sorting the 2nd bucket of WW this morning. I weighed each pile.

Misc Trash incl. non-lead weights----- 11 lbs 3.5%
Stick-on weights-------------------------- 45 lbs 14%
Clip-on weights---------------------------262 lbs 83%

Total 318 lbs

I didn't use a magnet to differentiate between zinc and iron alloy weights. I wish I had. I believe all the iron alloy weights were stamped Fe. Some of the zinc weights were stamped Zn but not all. The non-metallic trash included with the non-lead weights couldn't have been more than ½ lb. These buckets were cleaner than just about any I have ever gotten. Very few butts, only 1 lug nut, a few sticky tags from tires and fewer rubber stems, etc than usual. The clip-on weights had a bigger % of large weights than usual. By large I mean about 4-6" long. I guess this shop has more truck(not semi) business than most shops.

I'm expecting about an 80% yield of clean ingots from these 2 buckets. The only time I've exceeded that was a couple of buckets that had quite a few very large weights mixed in. These were ¼ lb and some may have been ½ lb. This was from a shop that does a lot of "over the road truck" business.

I hope someone finds this interesting. I did.

John
W.TN"

Here's a couple of links to extensive threads on yield from WW:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60268&highlight=clips

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765

The second link contains the post I pasted above.

John
W.TN

a.squibload
08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I sorted more tonight, got way more steel than zinc, maybe 15 or 20 zinc weights.
This is for about 100lbs of WWs, not a whole bucket.
I get 'em in small boxes from a friend at a tire shop, they're marked "lead, recyclable". About 50lbs ea box.
A few of the zinc weights are not marked Zn.
Some of them look funny, short, rectangular, with holes and no clips, but the exact same shape can be lead as well.
Found some 4" to 6" strips of stickons too.
Also found a yellow grease marker and maybe a dozen valve stems.

lwknight
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Also found a yellow grease marker and maybe a dozen valve stems.

What , no chaws? or razor blades?

alamogunr
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Several years ago I found the remains of someone's brown bag lunch. Apparently some tire shops have started restricting smoking on the job. The last several buckets I've cleaned up have had a lot fewer butts.

John
W.TN

shooterg
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
The razor blades were all in MY last bucket !

a.squibload
08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
What , no chaws? or razor blades?

(Sign on wall) No spittin' & no cussin'