PDA

View Full Version : .360 200 - 220 gr

Johnch
08-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Have we ever done a .360 dia 200 - 220 gr bullet like Lyman 358315 ?

I have a 1 hole 358315 but it only drops .3575 to .3585 depending on the alloy and I wish it was a flat nose .

Any interest in a GC 358315 that drops .360 -.361 with a flat nose instead of the round nose ??

Coments , Ideas ??

If there is enough , I will run it

Johnch

357maximum
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I would be interested if it will fit my pre micro 336RC, and it is at least 220 grains at .360 and with a meplate of at least 50%. I was thinking about something similar in the future but sooner would be great too..

I had a vision of a boolit with all crimp grooves, no lube grooves, just abnormally deep crimp grooves evenly spaced between drive bands the length of the boolit. Just thinking out loud, but what do you think on that dream? That would allow tumblelubing, or taditional lubing how ever many of the "gooves" you want or need. You could seat it anywhere yor little heart or gun desires that way too.

You could call it the " JonhCH tru-universal boolit"

Just thinking out loud, but what do you think on that dream?

Michael

Johnch
08-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Something like the "lube " groves on the TLC460-425-RF that Ranch Dog is running would work for me .

I just have a 35 Rem and 357 Max contender barrels I want to feed .
The 35 Wellen I am saving for also

Johnch

357maximum
08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Something like the "lube " groves on the TLC460-425-RF that Ranch Dog is running would work for me .

Johnch

That would work for me also. RanchDog's designs seem to workout great, and I have never seen boolits drop from a mold like his designs. When casting his RD44 I almost never have to even tap the handles for release, just plain poetry in a lee 6 cavity.

Michael

45 2.1
08-28-2006, 08:26 AM

I just have a 35 Rem and 357 Max contender barrels I want to feed .
The 35 Wellen I am saving for also

Johnch

The modified micro band type of band/groove?

James Wisner
08-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I have some OLD Ideal moulds in both 358315 and 358318, these have the wide front drive band.
Lyman at a later point changed and went with a narrow drive band.
I also have a 35897 mould that I have not cast yet with.

If you need samples just PM me.

Personally I would like a 6 cav in the 358315 shape.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Larry Gibson
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm in if the design is right. Drop at 360-.361" with WWs, FP with 50% meplat, large front driving band and GC.

Larry Gibson

Johnch
08-28-2006, 07:52 PM
The modified micro band type of band/groove?

That was what 357maximum and I were talking about .

Johnch

jeff223
08-29-2006, 01:59 PM
i would go for one of these molds too.

now all we need is a HONCHO to start the deal

45 2.1
08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Jim is going to cast some of the old versions up and send them to me. Wait for a drawing to see what you want.

357maximum
08-29-2006, 02:40 PM
i would go for one of these molds too.

now all we need is a HONCHO to start the deal

I think johnch has already won that title, I think and hope so anyway... we will have to see what Bob comes up with after measurin them boolits. Might just be what I need to jumpstart the whole 336 project. I am going to black shadowize her. Both to cover up old battle wounds, and just to be cool, and hip'...

Dutch4122
08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Minimum diameter of .361", Flat nosed, and gas check would work well for me. Anything between 200-220 grns sounds good but I'm leanin' towards 220. My .356 Winchester needs an absolute minimum diameter of .361" to make it work.

357maximum
08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
.361 would be fine by me. Far easier to make em smaller than larger and I need a slug of at least .3595 so that would work well.

dragonrider
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
The 358315 from a 2 cavity mold seen below alone and in a 357 Max case, that being the only use I have for this bullet right now in my Contender. Might try it in my buddies 35 Remington and see what happens.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/358315/358315009.jpg

I don't think I would be interested in a group buy for this one unless I got another rifle for it. But then getting one would be an excuse to get another rifle.

Johnch
08-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes I said I would run it if we get enough interest .

It looks like 45 2.1 is going to do some drawings , I was going to ask .
Thanks

I will not start this till we vote on witch bullet design .

Johnch

Marlin Junky
08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I was going to buy an RCBS 35-200FN for my pre-microgoove 336A but it would probably end up undersize so I'll go along with a .361" 210 - 220 grain gas checked design. Would Lee be cutting the mold in 6-cavity aluminum?

Is there a way to hand ream a .35-336 throat out a bit to accommodate some more boolit weight outside the case? I've heard about throat reamers but don't know anything about them. I measured the throat on my .35-336A at about 1/16" which is pretty restrictive. I decided that creating a bore riding boolit for this gun adds another variable that may or may not work out and I'd rather add some more throat so the rifle is a bit more flexible with respect to boolit designs.

MJ

Marlin Junky
09-06-2006, 05:00 AM
So what's the deal here? Is there no interest in this boolit or am I just being impatient? 200 grains, 220 grains, whatever. I just need a fat .35 that wears a GC, has a lot of its weight forward, but adequate bearing surface (60 to 65 percent). I vote for a .230" meplat and one lube groove that holds about .4 grains of lube.

MJ

Rough idea below. I left off the crimping grooves intentionally because I like to Lee Factory Crimp.2077

CSH
09-06-2006, 11:03 AM
MJ, I think there is a little more interest in a bullet that would go in the 235 - 250 grain range as described in the "Putting out a 358 feeler" thread. I was hopeful that a group buy would take off from that discussion, but obviously it has not. I think there are just too many other group buys running right now, and a 35 caliber bullet in that weight range would be used almost exclusively in rifles where high production isn't as much of a factor. I gave up (at least temporarily) on the possibility of a GB and bought a Saeco 352 last week.

jeff223
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
maybe you should just start the group buy.if you dont get enough guys in on the deal you can just return their checks to them.i think this one will fly if you were to HONCHO the deal

James Wisner
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I have samples cast up from seven differnet moulds to send out as samples so 45.2 can make up his drawings

It is surprising just how differnet the old IDEAL mould is v/s a 1979 age LYMAN 358315 mould.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Marlin Junky
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
CSH,

How's your SAECO 352 working out? I bought one early this summer from Midway and sent it to Redding/SAECO because it was casting too narrow. Redding said they were going to re-tool and send me a new mold but I haven't heard from them in awhile.

MJ

Marlin Junky
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
jeff223,

Group buy you say? Ask me again in October.

Reasons not to jump all over your suggestion:

1) The picture of this 215 grain .35 came from MM's website. I have no CAD software.

2) I'm leaving on vacation for three weeks to commence on 9-15-06.

3) Sounds like there's enough "group buys" currently in the works.

I think this would be a good "group buy" since there seems to be nothing like it currently offered by Lyman, RCBS, SAECO & NEI. Yeah, it's pretty close (plus 10-15 grains) to RCBS 35-200FN which drops too narrow for .360" to .361" grooves and has that deep lube groove that causes boolits to hang in the mold. Personally, I would rather have a pair of identical double cavity molds than a single 6-cavity... but a 6-cavity would be OK.

MJ

CSH
09-06-2006, 11:12 PM
MJ, I don't know what diameter mine casts because I haven't had a chance to heat it up. I hope to find time next week. I'm not too worried since my 35 Whelen bore is .3575". As long as it drops .358" or more I should be in good shape.

jeff223
09-07-2006, 02:13 PM
this is your parade Marlin Junky and when you decide the time is right i may get one of these molds from you

357maximum
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
The more I think about it and the more I play with ranch dogs designs, the more I want all crimp grooves the full length of the boolit from the drive band all the way to the top of the gas check groove. If this ends up being a modified tumble lube, or all crimp grooves I am in. If it goes the more traditional 1 lube groove I am out, I have plenty of standard lg molds, and the tl types out shoot them all, plus the tl types just plain jump out of the mold..abd you have more lube choices with a tl type. I do not know what Ranch Dog was thinkin when he come up with his designs, but it is pure voodoo performance and casting wise...

I thought this was Johns rodeo..BTW

Michael

Marlin Junky
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Mike,

I never figured a TL boolit to be a high speed rifle design. Perhaps my ideas aren't commensurate with the 6-cavity "group buy" philosophy. I'll just back out quietly and not submit anymore pictures for review. I am interested to see what .35 cal gas check design you guys come up with though. If it'll drop .361", 1/2 ounce boolits and work in a short throated 336 chambered for the neckless .35 Remington I may be interested in acquiring one. When I say short throated I mean about 1/16".

MJ

357maximum
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Mike,

Perhaps my ideas aren't commensurate with the 6-cavity "group buy" philosophy. I'll just back out quietly and not submit anymore pictures for review.

MJ

WHOA

You took that WAAAY different from my meaning, I was simply stating what I was looking for, no matter how it shakes out..If it ends up being what I want I am in, if not so be it. I like pics and drawings, I just simply do not need another "traditional" mold, I have plenty. I have one just like your pic in a .359-185 from the mountain man himself, I simply thought we were going elsewhere with this and was simply stating such. I assure you nothing cruel was meant, and until your post MJ I did not even see how it could be taken that way. No cruel intentions at all. If it is a tl/crimp design I want one, if not---not. That is the whole Idea of this type of thread is to hash design out, I did not mean to stomp on anything and I honestly did not believe I was, until your post.

Michael

45 2.1
09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
WHOA

You took that WAAAY different from my meaning, I was simply stating what I was looking for, no matter how it shakes out..If it ends up being what I want I am in, if not so be it. I like pics and drawings, I just simply do not need another "traditional" mold, I have plenty. I have one just like your pic in a .359-185 from the mountain man himself, I simply thought we were going elsewhere with this and was simply stating such. I assure you nothing cruel was meant, and until your post MJ I did not even see how it could be taken that way. No cruel intentions at all. If it is a tl/crimp design I want one, if not---not. That is the whole Idea of this type of thread is to hash design out, I did not mean to stomp on anything and I honestly did not believe I was, until your post.

Michael

Nobody has seen the drawings yet, have they? You all will get your chance to decide, THEN.

357maximum
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
That is the only problem I see with communication via computer, you cannot always come out exactly as you mean. Somehow people always read something other than your meaning into things. Face to face talking leads to waaaay less confusion.

At any rate, sounds like Bob is going to give us a multiple choice picture lineup to choose from. Cannot wait, because as I said ,me likes pictures. Thank you MR. Boolit Man..you are appreciated more than it seems sometimes. It does seem that no good deed goes unpunished here from time to time.

Michael

Marlin Junky
09-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Mike,

I'm sorry if you thought my post had an attitude attached to it. Simply stated, if you guys have specific ideas about what goes into a "group buy" mold that's fine. I won't waste my time and try not to confuse the issue. I didn't participate in the .35-180PB group buy basically because it was a PB and had three crimping grooves which was unnecessary for my needs.

I await further development of the .361-200+GC what-ever-the-heck it turns out to be. I'm pretty flexible. If I think it'll chamber without lubing the powder, I'll probably try it.

MJ

357maximum
09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Mike,

I'm sorry if you thought my post had an attitude attached to it. Simply stated, if you guys have specific ideas about what goes into a "group buy" mold that's fine. I won't waste my time and try not to confuse the issue. I didn't participate in the .35-180PB group buy basically because it was a PB and had three crimping grooves which was unnecessary for my needs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The whole Idea is to get as many people happy as possible, if I get outnumbered that is fine, if not great. I will not profess my ideas are "BETTER" than others, but they are mine, and you know what they say about opinions. Don't be sorry, I may have been the confused one in the meaning dept.:drinks:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I await further development of the .361-200+GC what-ever-the-heck it turns out to be. I'm pretty flexible. If I think it'll chamber without lubing the powder, I'll probably try it.

MJ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me too, I just like the TL,RD designs better than traditional designs,,,will they take the speed as well at a traditional LG design, I do not know, but I have pushed the RD 44 165 as fast as any J bullet, and had no issues,, well other than a midrange tasco 30 mm world class scope failing me. The combination of muzzleloader fouling in the turret caps, and the "PUSH" of these boolits was simply too much for it. MY FAULT, but still a dead scope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael

k8bor
09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
For a 336 in .356 winchester
Dave

Marlin Junky
09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Mike,

Based on what we've discussed about lube, I trust your judgment with respect to high speed boolits. If the GC design in question will fit my lil' .35-336, then I'm definitely in.

I haven't had a chance to whip up some of your Jojoba lube yet, but I've still got all the ingredients and your recipe recommendations. Do you recommend your Jojoba lube for the multiple groove design that I think were talking about here, or do I need something harder or stickier or slicker, etc.?

Regards,
MJ

P.S. Personally, I'd be more than pleased if I can get a 1/2 ounce boolit doing 2200 fps from my .35-336 with the kind of sustained, consistent accuracy I've become accustomed to from my other Marlins. I would like an LFN type nose with a .230" meplat if possible. I would think that might make a pretty good 200 yard deer/elk boolit.

357maximum
09-07-2006, 08:45 PM
The beauty of the modified TL designs is that any lube method will work. The lubrisizer will work great with a little adjusting, the lee push through guys can size and seat their checks and then pan lube, or use LLA. You can even dip lube them then push through size them if you desire. I use all methods and for different applications depending on mood/size requirement/and speed requirements. I am by NOOO stretch an expert on this, but I WILL ask for help when I need to, which some seem unwilling to do, why I do not know.

When lubing the tl designs with wax based lubes I simply add a touch more (pure)carnuba to help with surface tension issues. It will also make your bore prettier, just do not get carried away, or glass like lube you will make.

Now the speed issue, you may be correct to a point on the speed differential between traditional and tumblelubed if the design is not balanced, that is why I personally look to Bob the boolit designer, he knows if/when it will work. I trust his methods, I know some here take issue with his methods, but I trust his judgements as they have yet to fail me..

Michael

Marlin Junky
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Mike,

I seat GC's with a Lyman 450 and pan lube EVERYTHING. Please explain what you mean by surface tension issues. Can I add a bit more lanolin to make the lube stickier or am I off-base in this regard?

MJ

357maximum
09-07-2006, 09:16 PM
When I panlube a TL design I add the carnuba to give the finished boolit a very slight "ditch" shape. If the lube sticks out higher than the boolit it is messier, and accuracy / speed remain unchanged by this treatment. I would not change anything else just give it say another 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon pure carnuba per pound of lube. I just makes the tl mess less messy. You can also accomplish the same "ditch" by standing all wax panlubed boolits in a row on a board and just kissing the boolit with the flame from a handheld propane torch. If you simply push the boolit base first from the lube cake, too much carnuba will screw you BTW. Some boolits require differing amounts of the hard carnuba to not discard the wax from the boolit using the non cookie cutter method. I for the most part push them out without use of a cookie cutter, but it depends on the likes/dislikes of the gun intended for the boolit.

Yes I know I think/make this harder than need be, but sometimes it does make a difference. I like shooting gongs at 2-3-4 hundred yards so the smaller the 100 yard group is the better I like it, as it makes my margin of error larger at the longer pistol gonging ranges. I am alsways seeking more "edge".

Marlin Junky
09-07-2006, 09:24 PM
OK, I understand now. The lube needs to shrink a bit into the grooves.

BTW, I don't use the K-Cutter method. I just plop the lubed boolits, pan and all, into the freezer for a 1/2 hour and pop the boolits out by pushing on the noses to break the seal, then push them out of the lube from the base with a 1/4" dowel.

MJ

357maximum
09-07-2006, 10:02 PM
MJ

That is the same way I do 90 percent of my panlubing. I have never had to use a dowel, but I do double sided tape an old spoon minus the handle to my thumb. It makes long decaking sessions alot more pleasant on that digit. I just let them warm back up till they will push out, whammo,,, lubed boolit.

k8bor
09-08-2006, 07:34 AM
At the risk of you guys knowing how really little I know about this, are there any pics of pan-lubing that show what you are talking about? I'm really interested in this one and would appreciate any wisdom you could share. the lube method sounds like you can lube a lot of bullets at one time.
tnx
dave

Ol'Scudder
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Dave, here's a good example with photos - hope this helps:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Buckshot
09-08-2006, 10:57 AM
..............This was one done several years ago, designed by Wally Bator. I wasn't in on the buy as I hadn't built my 35 Rem yet :-). Shows 200 grs but I think the 200 gr design was about 230 and the 250gr was about 280grs.

http://www.fototime.com/54E55584D93DFCE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A5CE6549FD32646/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

Marlin Junky
09-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Buckshot,

That design won't chamber in my .35-336 without seating waaay deep.

MJ

k8bor
09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Ol'Scudder, the article in the addy is great!!!

Dave

357maximum
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Buckshot,

That design won't chamber in my .35-336 without seating waaay deep.

MJ

Mine either, I have shot some of the lyman 358315 and my max likes em and as soon as the 336 gets back from the smith, I would like to try some more in that too.

I have NO experience with round nose cast on critters, none

So compared to the flat points,,,What say you that have? Whitetail sized critters BTW.

Michael

Beerd
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
for the sake of conversation here is a boolit designed by J.D. Jones.
my ability to measure the third decimal is limited, but I think this is pretty close to as cast.

This is a good long range boolit in my TC 357 Max.
I don't have a Marlin to try it in (yet).

Beerd

rockrat
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Something along these lines? .250" meplat, .917 long, .361" diameter with 10/1 Ww/Lino alloy

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/DSC00080.jpg

45 2.1
09-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I got the samples from Jim Wisner now and have something to work with. I believe what your going to see is a mix of the RCBS 200 gr and the Saeco 250 gr. boolits.

Marlin Junky
10-06-2006, 04:57 AM
45 2.1,

When can we expect to see the .360-22x drawing? I'm considering a throat mod. if your bullet design is nose heavy. Problem is, I don't know who to contact with respect to .35 Rem. throat reamers. A long throated .35 Remington may provide an interesting performance boost over more traditional cast bullet handloads.

MJ

45 2.1
10-07-2006, 10:04 AM
45 2.1,

When can we expect to see the .360-22x drawing? I'm considering a throat mod. if your bullet design is nose heavy. Problem is, I don't know who to contact with respect to .35 Rem. throat reamers. A long throated .35 Remington may provide an interesting performance boost over more traditional cast bullet handloads.

MJ

I'm having program problems on my home machine and its the only place I can post a picture to the board from. The basic boolit is as you see it on the link. It will be fitted to the 35 Rem (which have problems seating with fat nose body diameter boolits) so it will fit properly. Others calibers will use one of the specific crimp grooves.

Marlin Junky
10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
45 2.1,

I'm sorry, which link are you referring to? I quickly went through this whole thread and only found a link to an SSK type design. Will the boolit's shank extend below the neck/shoulder junction?

'Nuther question:

When you say "It will be fitted to the 35 Rem...", what exactly does that mean? I own a '51 issue .35-336 that has an abrupt throat and deep grooves. I'd be very surprised if the same boolit will fit my rifle and a more recent specimen.

MJ

45 2.1
10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry, which link are you referring to? I quickly went through this whole thread and only found a link to an SSK type design. Will the boolit's shank extend below the neck/shoulder junction?
Sorry, wrong boolit, i'm the only one who's seen it.

When you say "It will be fitted to the 35 Rem...", what exactly does that mean? I own a '51 issue .35-336 that has an abrupt throat and deep grooves. I'd be very surprised if the same boolit will fit my rifle and a more recent specimen.
I have two of your rifle as well as a new Marlin and Remington 81s. I think it will fit.

Marlin Junky
10-07-2006, 05:12 PM
45 2.1,

I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

MJ

jeff223
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
so you think this will end up as a group buy?

Johnch
10-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I plan on trying it as soon as 45 2.1 can get his CAD problem fixed ( no rush ) and get a design or 2 for us to vote on .

For the fine work 45 2.1 dose , we will wait :drinks:

Johnch

jhalcott
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I would like a 240-250 FLAT nosed design for the 35 rem contender or the 358JDJ contender OR the 35 whelen rifle. This doesn't need to be a six banger for me.
As far as shooting critters with RN's , I have shot a few with J-words with excellent results. Cast Rn's seem to pass thru with little if any upset. I've shot the 358315 and 358318 into bales of wet and dry phone books.Both wet and dry.Velocity around 2000-2050 fps Any deer shot with them would die but it might take a while. I flat nosed some of these and redid the bale tests,with much better results. I hung gallon jugs of water at 100 yards and the FN's exploded them . The Rn's just blew thru with no reactions from the jugs! I thought I'd missed till I saw the soap bubbles dripping from the jug! I shot a bale of phone books the other day .20 inches long and soaked for 5 hours. It was 25 yards from the muzzle. The FN was stopped at 19" and showed some expansion.The Rn went out the back. The RN was found about 2-3 " under the surface of the sand bank a couple yards behind the bale. there was no evidence of expansion.These bullets were cast of about Lyman # 2 alloy with a BHN of 16

jeff223
10-28-2006, 09:12 AM
maybe someone should think about being a HONCHO for this group buy.the boolit that buckshot posted above would be a good one.

my .360-180-plain base group buy is about over.i think this one will fly and we could let it run through the winter months so the guys could have their new molds to play with in the late spring

PatMarlin
10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
-subscribe-

35remington
10-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I'll be interested in the pictures of the proposed design as well. If something is produced that casts .360, preferably .361", will work through a Microgroove Marlin 336 .35 Remington without isssues, has a flat, and is 200 grains plus, I'm in.

LIMPINGJ
10-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Like 35remington I need a bullet to feed two Marlins. I will be in for one.
Jim

Pepe Ray
11-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm teetering on the edge.
A picture of the right boolet would push me over it. The edge, that is.
Pepe Ray

45 2.1
11-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Something to look at:

35remington
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Looks very much like the RCBS 200 FN. What differences are there with this bullet?

45 2.1
11-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Looks very much like the RCBS 200 FN. What differences are there with this bullet?

Actually its a mix of three boolits: RCBS 35-200-FN, RCBS 35-250- SP, Lyman 358315. The nose is fatter and longer, 1 1/2 times lube capacity and body dimensions closer to the Lyman. Everything is stretched out to about maximum 35 Rem dimensions for more weight and better alignment.

Dutch4122
11-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually its a mix of three boolits: RCBS 35-200-FN, RCBS 35-250- SP, Lyman 358315. The nose is fatter and longer, 1 1/2 times lube capacity and body dimensions closer to the Lyman. Everything is stretched out to about maximum 35 Rem dimensions for more weight and better alignment.

Looks great. What "as cast" diameter have you settled on?

Johnch
11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks great for me

Johnch

357maximum
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I like it, I like it

This puppy has got the ol 1950's 336 rc jumping out of the safe...I like it, as I hope the ol marlin will as well, and it should, thanks to Bob, and Johns efforts.

So as this materializes I want to thank our perspective HONCHO, and our resident mad boolit designer....COUNT ME IN for a 210-220 grain .360.

Michael

Bear4570
11-08-2006, 12:23 AM
200-220 count me in. I like the looks of this bullet.

PatMarlin
11-08-2006, 01:13 AM
I would be in, but I need a 250gr plus.

Marlin Junky
11-08-2006, 01:30 AM
I would be in, but I need a 250gr plus.

Perhaps that'll be the next group buy.

But with respect to this 'un... why is the lube groove so deep? How many grains of lube does it hold? Other than that, I guess it's OK but what's the "as-cast" diameter in WW metal on the shank and nose? How long is it?

MJ

45 2.1
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
But with respect to this 'un... why is the lube groove so deep? Thats my personal take on what it needs as i've shot the RCBS and Lyman versions which both need some more lube plus I learned a lot from doing the Keith series.

How many grains of lube does it hold?
I don't know right now.

Other than that, I guess it's OK but what's the "as-cast" diameter in WW metal on the shank and nose? The body will be somewhere around 0.360' to 0.361" and the nose will be about 0.351".

How long is it? No access to the drawing right now, but it is about maximum length for the 35 Rem.

James Wisner
11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Great work 45.21

Did I give you enough samples to play with, it seems you can never have enough 30 or 35 caliber moulds.

When this one gets ready to go to a group buy I will be in for at least one.

My 9x57 is just starting to digest cast bullets, and I need a good 6 cavity mould to keep up with it.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

45 2.1
11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Did I give you enough samples to play with, it seems you can never have enough 30 or 35 caliber moulds.Jim Wisner Custom Metalsmith

Jim-
Yes, some of them were ones i've never had access to.

Marlin Junky
11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
45 2.1,

If the nose comes out .351" in WW metal (or 5 'tenths' more in #2 alloy) what would the optimum bore diameter be in a .35-336A?

MJ

Johnch
11-08-2006, 06:51 PM
If we get enough interested I will run the group buy .

But it will have to wait a little .
Like starting the first week in Dec .
Because I will be out of town several times for a day to a week till then .

If I do this , I want to do it right

Johnch

Cayoot
11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd be up for one, but with the 4 group buys I'm in now...my finances are played out until after Christmas.

If it is still around then, I think I'll be sending you a check.

35remington
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Some measurements of my current RCBS 200 FN, cast of wheelweights plus a little tin:

Nose (just above driving bands) - .351"

Driving bands .359"

These bullets will chamber in my Microgroove Marlin 336's without engraving the bore riding section (nose). One measures .358" just off the end of the chamber, the other .3585."

45 2.1
11-09-2006, 07:55 AM
45 2.1,

If the nose comes out .351" in WW metal (or 5 'tenths' more in #2 alloy) what would the optimum bore diameter be in a .35-336A?

MJ

Depends on your throat and alloy, but the ideal fit is a boolit that is 0.0004" or about under actual dimensions. The front band and the nose in front of the band should engrave. I might taper it a little to do so.

Marlin Junky
11-09-2006, 01:04 PM
45 2.1,

I mentioned WW metal but I usually shoot a 14 BHN metal. I think I need a mold that casts no bigger than .350" on the nose 'cause a .3490" to .3495" nose will lightly engrave. I don't know how typical my particular .35-336A is with its 'normal' bore and deep grooves (.361" boolit is just about right); but, I think it was one of the first 24" .35's made in 1951 ('H' gun).

Thanks,
MJ

Denver
11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I like this one also. It's very close to what I had in mind to order from Mountain Molds if he ever starts taking orders again. I think a boolit in the 220-225 gr weight at .361 dia. with a meplat of about .250 would be great for the 35 Rems. I'm presently using a Beagled RCBS 200gr FP boolit in my Marlin RC 35 and a Rem Model 8. Both like the fatter boolits. I'd be in for a 6 holer with the above specs.
Are we going to see a drawing of the RD style that was mentioned earlier?

:castmine:

45 2.1
11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I like this one also. It's very close to what I had in mind to order from Mountain Molds if he ever starts taking orders again. I think a boolit in the 220-225 gr weight at .361 dia. with a meplat of about .250 would be great for the 35 Rems. I'm presently using a Beagled RCBS 200gr FP boolit in my Marlin RC 35 and a Rem Model 8. Both like the fatter boolits. I'd be in for a 6 holer with the above specs.
Are we going to see a drawing of the RD style that was mentioned earlier?

:castmine:

I know about them fatter boolits for the old Marlins and Remingtons. You can view drawings of Ranch Dogs tumble lube boolits here:
http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Casting/TLC359180RF/

porkchop bob
11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Depends on your throat and alloy, but the ideal fit is a boolit that is 0.0004" or about under actual dimensions. The front band and the nose in front of the band should engrave. I might taper it a little to do so.

Want it to fit what I now have and at same time increase the odds of it fitting what I later buy.
_ Can we see a drawing with the 'taper'? How will that change the weight?
_ For both, can we see the CL for weight distribution?

I do like the simple lines. A single crimp groove instead of three. That is a departure from what we have been doing lately. I have not seen any discussion on this aspect. It is contrary, perhaps that's why I like its looks.

Thanks, Bob

Marlin Junky
11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
I definitely want in on this one... even if it chambers a little harder than I'm used to. We're doing a 6-cavity... right?

MJ

45 2.1
11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Want it to fit what I now have and at same time increase the odds of it fitting what I later buy.
_ Can we see a drawing with the 'taper'? How will that change the weight? You wouldn't be able to see the taper on the drawing, all it would involve is about 0.002" total difference from the nose in front of the band to the point the nose radius bends toward the nose.
_ For both, can we see the CL for weight distribution? Do you mean center of gravity? If so the CG is very near the center of the boolit. CG has very little effect at the velocities we shoot boolits. Most folks don't shoot these light small caliber boolits far enough for that to be a problem.

I do like the simple lines. A single crimp groove instead of three. That is a departure from what we have been doing lately. I have not seen any discussion on this aspect. It is contrary, perhaps that's why I like its looks. It is meant to be the heaviest reasonable boolit to use in the 35 Rem rifles and will fit its bigger bretheren good also.

CENTEX BILL
11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Gentlemen:

I have 2 35 Remingtons M336 build in 1951 and a Savage 99 in 358 WIN in Savage 99. I want a 200 gr gas Check bullet that would work in these rifles.

Is this the bullet I am looking for? If so, then count me in.

Centex Bill

porkchop bob
11-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Count me in for one mold.
29439 - 1 - porkchop bob

Thanks, Bob

Ron.D
11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
The Bator light's done well for me. I always wished it was in a 6 cavity. If this is still a go, I'd like to be in on it. Hope the meplat stays over .220, preferably .240. Ron.D

madcaster
11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Just me,but I'd be much more intrested in a #358009

Cayoot
11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Yup! For sure I want one!

hicard
01-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Who is making this bullet for the group buy?

PatMarlin
01-22-2007, 01:34 AM
I REALLY wish someone would do a 250. Dat's waht I need.. :Fire: