PDA

View Full Version : load books

adrians
07-30-2010, 07:44 AM
i have a chance to get hold of a couple of old lyman reload manuals (i think 1958 and 1960 #41-----#43?) any way my description may be all wrong (its early morning ) but are they worth getting as i do cast for a few cal,
thanks adrians,have a great friday [smilie=s:

Casting Timmy
07-30-2010, 07:55 AM
I have the 44 and 45 editions of the lyman manual and like them. I'd get them if they're cheap enough, but some of the powders might no longer be available. I do like my old manuals because one of them lists a lot of unigue rifle loads in it.

qajaq59
07-30-2010, 08:24 AM
I would certainly grab them. If for no other reason than they'd look good on my desk.

Wayne Smith
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
f you don't want them send them my way! I'm a bibliophyle anyway.

Cowboy T
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I've never read the older versions, but I do have Lyman's 49th, and it's a great book. You'll probably be well served by the older editions, too. The major powders, Bullseye, 2400, etc. have been around since Day 0.

geargnasher
07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
The older books can be great points of reference when building starting loads, and I find them very interesting to read, kind of a look back in reloading history. The only frustrating part is when you're comparing data for a more modern powder and you realize it didn't exist back in 1960, and you only have one or two sources with data for that powder!

Most of the data is transferred from edition to edition, some is reworked, new calibers/powders are added, but the same load can be listed through many editions of the same brand of book. Sometimes, with certain powders, the trend has been lighter and lighter charges in subsequent editions, which drives home the point "Start with the beginning charge listed in more than one source and work up gradually, every combination is a rule unto itself".

Gear

stephen perry
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Each old Lyman, RCBS, Belding & Mull, Speer, Hornady, talks about Cast bullets. Before I would say 1950 Cast was what guys shot. When Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes to name the name brands started producing jacketed bullets most companies started in the 1940's and 50's, except Barnes who were earlier.

As far as older powder listings Unique, Bullseye, 2400, 4198, 4895, 3031, 4064, 4350 are all listed for Cast bullet loading in the Lyman 41 manual. These powders are still used today for Cast and jacketed bullet loading.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

07-31-2010, 02:33 PM
I find old manuals interesting. Yesterday, for instance, I found a .303 British load in Lyman's 45th that's not listed in their 46th, 47th or 48th.

I know some will poo-poo those old loads as not being realistic and dangerous, due to the use of the copper crusher versus the piezo method. However, we don't hear of kabooms when those loads are utilized. But, up-to-date manuals still list loads measured in C.U.P.

noylj
07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
The new books (see Lyman #49) have data on new powders. It is like they have never heard of Herco, Green Dot, PB, and others. You need to old manuals to reference the older powders. I would buy them.
Personally, I am somewhat amazed at the bullet mold companies that don't publish any loads for their molds. It would seem that if you want to sell molds you should supply some loads for them.

lylejb
07-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Get them if reasonable

Older powders and less popular calibers often get dropped in favor the "latest and greatest".

You never know when you might need info thats not in the latest edition.

Franklin Zeman
08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Some of the older Lyman books also feature "Pet Loads", which can give some guidance if your in never never land.