PDA

View Full Version : "Shorty" Dies

twotrees
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I just got hold of a 3Ft piece of 7/8ths 14 TPI all thread and making some sizing dies came to mind.

One of the things I saw in an Old NRA loading book was an ad for "shorty dies" seems that these were made to neck size a Caliber. IE; one for 30 cal, one for 7Mm since there was no body they only sized the neck and could be used on any case in that caliber.

That sounds good to the Scot blood in me and I think I might try to make some.

Has Anybody used these old reloading dies?? Any comments??

Le Loup Solitaire
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
A few decades ago when Saeco was in California they were producing "stubby dies" that necksized only. They were really short little things, but they worked very well. An old friend of mine used them successfully in 30 cal and 6.5. They would certainly be worthwhile making if you can do it. I have never seen them again over the years. Its a great concept and would extend the life of brass. LLS

1hole
07-31-2010, 04:50 PM
I've done simular. It works moderately well so long as the diameter change is no more than maybe .005", otherwise it's pretty easy to push the unsupported case shoulders out.

I think there're valid reasons they didn't last in the market.

dragonrider
07-31-2010, 06:43 PM
An interesting idea, never heard of them, but I can and will make one. Thanks.

1hole
07-31-2010, 07:52 PM
"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you. -- Ramsey Clark"

Clark didn't know this administration.

ricksplace
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I make stubby dies for cast bullet shooting. I shoot .3775 dia boolits out of my 375 H&H, and rather than work the case necks, I made a short stubby die. I measure the dia of the case neck with a boolit seated, then hone the die to .0015 smaller than that measurement. When the neck is sized, the brass springs back about .0005-.001, so there is enough neck tension to hold the boolit. Fired cases have a little lube on the case necks after firing, so I just run them up into the die, then throw the cases in the tumbler. Decap and prime after the cleaning and they are ready to load. The case doesn't need to be expanded or flared to load the boolit without any lead shaving. The necks are chamfered and I use gas checks. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Johnch
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hornady makes a neck size only die like that

I use them for 22 and 30 cal
The 22 cal one , I stuck it in the lathe and shortened it
To allow me to neck size 218 Bee brass

John

blackhawk44
08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
The trick to the Saeco Stubby Dies was the press that went with them. It had a threaded stop for the press' ram to allow for the case length. This prevented pressing the case too far into the die, upsetting headspace or crushing shoulders.

scrapcan
08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Blackhawk44 is right about the saeco press. It also have a large shellholder that the threaded stop hit to set the length. There is a good article in the last Antique Reloading Tool collectors newsletters on shellholders and a current post on the members only forum over there that show both the press and the shellholder.

nicholst55
08-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Hornady makes a neck size only die like that

I use them for 22 and 30 cal
The 22 cal one , I stuck it in the lathe and shortened it
To allow me to neck size 218 Bee brass

John

+1; I have one of their 6.5mm neck sizers; need to buy some more in different flavors.