PDA

View Full Version : [B]Swaging .22LR ammo[/B]

Larry Gibson
07-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I have a nice Paco Kelly tool to swage .22LR ammo and reform the nose. It woks very well at home with an arbor press. The other day a guy at the range had a Die to do the same thing. The die was like a regular loading die and there was even a shell holder. He had it in a Lee hand press. It sure was handy that way and something i would like to get. However he did not know how to get ahold of the guy who made it. The guys name is Neil Waltz I believe. He supposidly lives in Oregon. Anyone heard of him and knows how to contact him?

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
No but I assume that you have seen this thread and the tool made by D Rock @ Rimfirecentral.com?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89031

Larry Gibson
07-30-2010, 02:29 PM
No but I assume that you have seen this thread and the tool made by D Rock @ Rimfirecentral.com?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89031

I looked at the thread and that looks like a quality tool but is similar to the Paco Kelly tool and requires (suggested) an arbor press also for best results. The Waltz tool is similar but fits into the Lee hand press just like a reloading die. Thus the .22LR can be swaged at the range or new ammo when traveling without having to take the arbor press. Just would be a much handier tool in my opinion. Thanks for the site info and I am registered over there now.

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
07-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I agree Larry, that is a real advantage that you describe.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Larry,
Neal's address is as follows

Email: WALTZ@SSSNET.COM
4105 HYATT N.W. MASSILLON, OH 44646 USA

Larry Gibson
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Larry,
Neal's address is as follows

Email: WALTZ@SSSNET.COM
4105 HYATT N.W. MASSILLON, OH 44646 USA

Thanks.

Larry Gibson

JeffinNZ
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Good luck. I have sent Neil two emails with no response. I have 5000 target rounds that need HPing.

Changeling
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Maybe he is sick or something!

I just sent an email, I hope he responds!

Marine Sgt 2111
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Larry,
Your welcome...

mayhan
08-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Called Mr Waltz 8/11/10 and ordered die 135. plus 15.shipping, need to ph
330-837-4818 he is running low on stock

Larry Gibson
08-12-2010, 01:33 PM
mayhan

Called this morning as soon as i read your post...to late, he is out of stock and won't be making more until this fall. I am on his waiting list. Thanks for the number, at least I've got one coming some day. His computer was crashed and in the shop which is why I got no response to the email....just my luck:-(

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Got the Waltz die, very impressive. I already have some different sizes of the FN and HPs done with Blazer and federal 36 gr HPs to test. Got a walking cast on today but have to still take it easy on the broken foot. Maybe next tuesday or wednesday will find me at the range testing:-)

Larry Gibson

Bulldogger
09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Pictures, pictures, pictures!

And if you have time post a picture or two of the die and re-formed 22's.

Larry Gibson
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Bulldogger

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

And if you have time post a picture or two of the die and re-formed 22's.

Ask and you shall recieve:-) The photo's show the Waltz die with a Lee Hand Press, some various sized FPs and HPs to test (weight sorted Blazer) and the die with the 2 nose punches.

Larry Gibson

Markbo
09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
FWIW I have all those tools and a few others. If anyone else is wondering - yes they all work. The HP tools put some POP into even slower match loads on game and the resizing can help you fine tune loads to any particular gun.

I have done it for every type of .22 I have including Ruger MK II pistols and 10/22s. Only the most radical flat nosed shapes had trouble feeding in them. If you are OCD over accuracy like I am, they are well worth getting.

phaessler
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Larry,
Any closing thoughts? Knowing full well .22LR ammo is getting like hens teeth, still looking to make it better if possible.
Thank you
Pete

uscra112
03-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Made my own, like a Waltz but different, and it makes a significant difference with bulk ammo. Does nothing but harm to really good ammo, like Wolf Match.

With bulk ammo, however, weight sorting makes as much of an improvement or more. Big ammo factories have multiple machines swaging the bullets, but they are not all adjusted alike, so when you get a box of, say, Thunderbolt, you may be getting two or three different bullet weights. I've weighed some that varied three full grains, which is a lot when the nominal weight is only 45 grains.

phaessler
04-20-2014, 05:57 PM
After much thought and reading on this topic for almost 3 years, I finally got the nerve to try something.
Being cheap and of the mindset that "I can figure that out", I sort of made my own .22lr swaging device. I did use some commercially made parts, a combination of parts actually, and some drillpress manufactured parts to come up with it all. I know this may seem extreme for a trial, and honestly, I struggled with spending the money to do it , even before rimfire ammunition became scarce.
Purchased a seating die, a shell-holder, borrowed the expander stem holder out of another die, and turned the forming tips from machine screws in my drill press with a file and a stone.
I have shaped a few different types of Federal, and Winchesters. Its easily controlled and repeatable.
Now comes the testing stage to see if it really makes a difference in accuracy.
The pictures will explain it enough:
My Equipment..

Forming tips...

Federals

Winchesters

Will start a new thread when I get some range time.

Pete

Irascible
08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
This is an old thread, is Waltz still making the tool?

attila
10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
This is an old thread, is Waltz still making the tool?

Live read that he is elderly and no one has been able to contact him in a couple years. Terrible shame for those of us who would pay dearly for one of his pieces of art. I've sent email without response as well.

wlc
10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Hoping all is well with Mr. Waltz. Not wanting to take any potential business away from him if in fact he is still producing these, But I bet if someone that had one was willing to send it to some of our more talented machinists here a copy could be had.... Just a thought.

williamwaco
10-14-2014, 09:03 PM
mayhan

Called this morning as soon as i read your post...to late, he is out of stock and won't be making more until this fall. I am on his waiting list. Thanks for the number, at least I've got one coming some day. His computer was crashed and in the shop which is why I got no response to the email....just my luck:-(

Larry Gibson

When you get it, please let us know about it.

starmac
10-14-2014, 10:27 PM
When you get it, please let us know about it.

See post # 12 and 14.