PDA

View Full Version : peeps or scope?

07-29-2010, 07:40 PM
So i have a model 99 in .300 savage that my uncle left me when he died, at the time he had a lyman peep on it and a weaver 4x power mounted way up high on some see through mounts he was a huge guy so he could actually use the scope without a chin weld, I can't i'm not that big. As it is the peeps are mounted and the scope it off.

My question, what would you rather have the lyman brush peep sights, or an old weaver 4 power scope mounted with a redfield one piece base and rings?? i did smack a 12 inch gong with the peeps the other day @300 yard off hand. I'm just looking for opinions, i kind of like the peep since i know i can use it and it's pretty darn accurate when used right plus the 99 does have a neat profile with out the scope.

Larry Gibson
07-29-2010, 08:05 PM
use the "peeps" while your eyes are still good enough to, then put the 4X scope on it when the eyes go south, they will you know;-)

Larry Gibson

rhbrink
07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
+1 on what Larry Gibson said! :)

excess650
07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I have (4) Savage 1899/99s and all (3) that I shoot have receiver sights. I have a spare for the other rifle should I decide to shoot it. Mine are all old enough to predate factory D&T for scope mount.

Likewise, I have several Marlin lever actions, and all have receiver sights. I feel a scope changes the handling characteristics, and not for the better, in the case of a really handy rifle.

I'm now over 50, and my eyes aren't what they were just 10 years ago. I still like to shoot iron sights, and will continue as long as I can.

Bret4207
07-30-2010, 07:53 AM
With my eyes scopes are become more needed. Personally, my 99 308 wears a 2.5 Weaver. 4 x is too much for a hunting rifle IMO. a 1-3X or 2-7X would do all you want and allow long range target shooting too.

2 of my 99's wear peeps- 1 Redfield Recvr and 1 Marbles tang.

rollmyown
07-30-2010, 08:42 AM
That 12"gong answered your question. Stay with the peep sights. Plenty of time to scope your rifle when your eyes need one.

Hardcast416taylor
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
When your vision starts playing tricks on you, then put the scope back on and remove the peep. A scope will give you a better idea of where you are aiming and a better view of "is it a buck or a doe in that light brush"?Robert

Jack Stanley
07-30-2010, 06:37 PM
use the "peeps" while your eyes are still good enough to, then put the 4X scope on it when the eyes go south, they will you know;-)

Larry Gibson

Don't THAT just sound familiar !!:roll:Though I use iron sights as much as I can I have a scope or two for backup for those ugly days .

Jack :wink:

thx997303
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I like peeps. Shot a good 1'' group at 100 yards with peeps on my guide gun just earlier today.

jh45gun
07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
I have (4) Savage 1899/99s and all (3) that I shoot have receiver sights. I have a spare for the other rifle should I decide to shoot it. Mine are all old enough to predate factory D&T for scope mount.

Likewise, I have several Marlin lever actions, and all have receiver sights. I feel a scope changes the handling characteristics, and not for the better, in the case of a really handy rifle.

I'm now over 50, and my eyes aren't what they were just 10 years ago. I still like to shoot iron sights, and will continue as long as I can.

A COMPACT scope on a lever gun is not obtrusive nor does it change the handling characteristics. A large bulky scope may. Low power scopes are the key too for fast handling.

Gee_Wizz01
07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I like peeps, but I scoped my 99 Savage after I couldn't get off a shot at the largest buck I have ever seen. It was dusk and I still had about 5 minutes of legal hunting left, but I couldn't pick out the big deer from the brush with my receiver sight. I had a cheap pair of binoculars and I could see him fine, but when I put the peeps up, all I could see was gray blurs. I still had good sight back then, but I just couldn't see the deer. I put on a weaver K-4 on low Weaver mounts and never looked back. I liked the 2 piece Weaver mounts since it was easier to load the rifle with the scope on, than with the Redfield JR one piece mounts. The Redfield mount I had did not follow the contour of the receiver cutout above the bolt and I couldn't get my big thumbs in to push the rounds down when loading. I do agree, I dont like those high look through mounts.

G

missionary5155
07-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Good morning
I have Peeps or tang sights on each rifle I hunt with except my 44-40 SRC down here in Peru. I even made a peep sight years ago for my Zouave 58 muzzleloader. They are fast sighting and provide more than enough accuracy for hunting.

MtGun44
07-31-2010, 03:14 AM
+1 on Larry unless you are hunting at long ranges. At longer ranges you will not
be able to make out the deer with peeps a whole bunch of the time that you could
see and shoot with a scope.

This effect worsens with age.

Bill

big boar
07-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Used peeps for decades but at 50 the eyes just didn't respond so well. For target work during the day peeps still work out not bad but a low powered scope will win out every time. Hunting is different though, especially in early/late fields and it's even worse in the thick bush. Last deer I took with peeps was perhaps 7 years ago, 10 min shooting time left in heavy bush. He was walking very fast and I had barely just enough light to see him through the hole. I didn't want that to happen again so on goes a scope. By the way, the 1-4X Leupold shotgun scope with a heavy reticle is just the thing for a lever gun. The reticle really stands out in the bush making aquisition easy and with no bell at the front looks very nice and compact.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2010, 07:20 AM
I do prefer peeps on lever guns over any sight but something like a 300 sav in a 99 would be well served with a scope as long as you can get it mounted down low where it belongs. Id change to mount but keep the old weaver as it would be more appropriate then a newer scope.

rhead
07-31-2010, 07:51 AM
I prefer peeps on a rifle that I will be carrying. If I will be hunting from a stand I prefer a scope. If the possibility of 150 yd plus shots are present I just "man up" and tote the rifle with the scope.

jh45gun
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I have both a compact scope Leupold MK 8 4x on my Henry Lever gun in 22 mag and on my Model 95 in 45/70 I have an older Weaver 1.5x4.5 which I think is a perfect woods scope. On my Model 94 Winchester I have a Williams Peep sight and a Fiber optic front sight that fiber optic really helps when it starts getting dark at dusk or at dawn.

PatMarlin
07-31-2010, 12:54 PM
How bout' a peep and scope?

Leupy quick release scope rings, flip up stock buckhorns or a removeable peep site setting on the rear Weaver scope mount base,.

http://www.patmarlins.com/1895scoped.jpg

daddywpb
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I have WIlliams Fire Sight on the front and a receiver mounted peep on the rear of all my lever guns. My eyes aren't the best, but this combo is real fast to pick up.

stephen perry
08-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Your uncle knew more about the gun than you do. Put the Weaver scope back on. Your 300 yd shot on the plate was luck and the plate wasn't moving like a deer would. Try the plate again with a peep. If you can't hit 7 of 10 shots you need the scope.

Deer should not be shot a long way off as one suggested. Killing rate is slim past 200 yd, why try and be a hero with a long shoot move up and shoot within 100 yd.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

PatMarlin
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Just got my pic above to work on my Marlin.

pietro
08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/DSCN0354.JPG

Nuff said................ [smilie=w:

BarryinIN
08-02-2010, 04:54 AM
My Savage 99 in .300 Sav, is an older rifle someone had drilled and tapped for scope bases. I had no intention on leaving it on there, but mounted a scope in order to shoot it until replacing it with a peep rear sight just as soon as I could find one.
It's still on there.

Several reasons:
I found it shot so well I hate to change anything.
It's in the right place. When snapped to the shoulder, the crosshairs are on what I was looking at.
Other than a Williams model or two, I found peep sights for these to be a bit expensive.
The scope (Leupold 4x Compact) isn't really in the way at all like I expected it to be.

I'd still like one, but I'm not really looking for one. I want one partially because I was set on getting one, and partially because my 99 is a takedown and it would be a neater package when taken down with the peep. Neither reason is very important.

PatMarlin
08-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I like peeps. My 1895 circa 1924 has an old Redfield on it and old marbles dove tail cover. Got to be as old as the rifle is.

http://www.patmarlins.com/1winney95.jpg

BIG BEAR
08-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Have bad eyes!!!The back sight on my NEW 1894 musket was a BLUR . Mounted a WILLIAMS FP94-36 and average 2.5" 3shot groups at 100 yrds. Will mount a Peep on one of my model 70s. Try one out before you buy that scope. good luck. B B

PatMarlin
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I think the model 70 is made for a peep and not a scope. I would have kept my pre-64 in 30-06 if it had a peep. Should have. Just did not like a scope on that rifle.

excess650
08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a 1st year Remington 700 30-06 carbine with a receiver sight on it. I LOVE the way it handles, but the comb is too high. Its already been refinished, so I think the monte carlo is history....have a an early BDL stock for it too.:bigsmyl2:

I think the model 70 is made for a peep and not a scope. I would have kept my pre-64 in 30-06 if it had a peep. Should have. Just did not like a scope on that rifle.

pls1911
09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Classic peeps on classic rifles, so long as your eyes can work 'em.
I have several on my early Marlins, which don't have factory scope provisions.
They work great, especially so on long barreled "A" models.

I've accumulated a few vintage Texas Made Weavers for the early 50's pre MG Marlins with mounting holes factory drilled.

I'd put an old K2.5 up against any similar Leupold, Burris , or Zeiss for brightness and clarity!

09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/DSCN0354.JPG

Nuff said................ [smilie=w:

pretty! yeah i think the 4 power will go something BIG and BOOMY when i get around to buying one. that model 99 is a sweet sweet gun.

HeavyMetal
09-12-2010, 12:47 AM
.357:
You bring up an interesting problem.

I to have a 99, a 99F made 1957 in 308 and it has a FoolProof rear peep on it, as does my Marlin 1895 and my 94 in 32 special has a Lyman Tang on it.

So far I still have a single vision lens in my glass's but let's all be real someday I will need some options as will we all.

To that end I have been buying the little "dot" sights for a bunch of my 22 pistols.

Right now I might consider one of these on the 99 rather than a scope. Lets face it the 99 is a brush gun and I would not try a 400 yard Antelope shot with the peep sights!

The "reflex" sights are small light bright enough to see in dim light and have no magnification to mess up close range shots.

Some day I may have to find out if I'm right and that's my back up plan!

crabo
09-12-2010, 01:20 AM
I like the XS scope mount with the peeps like the put on the SBL. I put that setup on my BIL Guide Gun. You can use your scope for load developemnt and then take it off and use your peeps.

I felt like the XS ghost ring was a little too ghostly for me. I bought a threaded post and put a Merit adjustable aperature on it so I would have a heavier ring to look through in dim light. I didn't have much time to mess with it before I gave the gun back. I did keep the post and aperture.

As soon as Marlin gets more mounts and sights in, I'll put one on my GBL and report back.

I think I will probably end up putting an Ultra Dot 4 on it once I get my loads worked up.

Freischütz
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Good receiver sights never go out of style.

Shooter6br
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Put a receiver sight on my SKS . World of differance. I realize it is a military firearm but it is on target with the sight. Good for maybe hog hunting as the good old boys do down South.It mounts at the rear of the receiver unlike the Williams version. Mil- tech company I beleive

Ridgerunner665
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
i kind of like the peep since i know i can use it and it's pretty darn accurate when used right plus the 99 does have a neat profile with out the scope.

I think you answered your own question.

helice
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Your 300 Savage will place boolits accurately a lot farther out than I can see in a peep sight especially in low light. Area 505 is in 4 corners New Mexico if I remember right. In that area you could get shots way out past "Ft. Mudge". Might be handy to have a 4x on it. That said, my 250-3000 Model 1899 sports a Lyman Tang sight.