PDA

View Full Version : Double action 22 revolvers

MT Gianni
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
I have been wanting and looking, I have yet to see an affordable model 17 or 18 Smith. Does anyone have experience with the older Colt Officers models? Anything else out there? Thanks.

9.3X62AL
07-29-2010, 07:40 PM
The Officer's Model Target and Officer's Model Match can be SUPERB revolvers. I've owned 2 of them, one each in 22 and 38 Special. I foolishly let the 22 OMM get away some years back. I scored a OMT in 38 Special about 7 years ago, and it STAYS.

That now-gone Colt OMM was twice the revolver my current 617 x 6" is. Just as accurate, but MUCH nicer action and lighter S/A trigger. The M-617 needs that barrel underlug like a Testarossa needs a camper shell.

longhorn
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
There's also a Trooper in .22 and .22Mag-it's the old style I-frame (I think--same as the Python); I had one, lost in the great burglary of '97, wonderful revolver. Also Mark III's in .22, but I've seen a lot more in .22Mag. Never had a Dan Wesson in .22, but only heard good things about them, too.

cuzinbruce
07-29-2010, 07:59 PM
I have an Officer's Model Match Heavy Barrel in .38 Spl. Early 1950's gun. I like it a lot. One in .22 would be excellent, although a bit large for a .22.
I also have a Smith Model 17. I bought it several years ago from a local shop. 1960's gun with funky target grips on it. Fortunately I had an extra pair of diamond magna's to put on it. Then I dumped the target grips on eBay.
They are both excellent. Outstanding trigger pulls in double action. Not the same though. Either one would be fun. Probably easier to find a Smith 17 though. Which would be best might depend on your hand size, etc.
It's hard to think of any other DA .22s on the level of these.

Dale53
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I have a newer S&W Model 617. It is a six inch barreled with double underlugged barrel and 10 shot.

It shoots very well and is about everything I could have expected.

Dale53

Tom-ADC
07-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Years ago I had a Colt Diamondback in 22LR 4" barrel it had one of the smoothest double action pulls I've used, also had one in 38 spl 4" barrel nickel plated, flashie but a tack driver.

Dale53
07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I always thought the either the .22 Diamondback or .38 Special Diamondback would make wonderful trail guns.

A number of years ago I had an opportunity to buy a "like new" .22 Diamondback for a decent price. I passed and have often wished I had bought it. Now, they are priced beyond reason, so doubt I will have one in my future.

Dale53

Tom-ADC
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Those are two I'd like to have back, sold the 22 and traded the for a off road motorcycle...[smilie=2:

HeavyMetal
07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Currently have a 6 inch Diamondback in 22, if you can find one you can afford buy it!

No one shoots this but me, I don't want anyone jacking it up! It shoots extremly well ( on par with the OMM & OMT) with ammo that has been rim checked, and favors Federal load #510 why I have no idea!

When shooting with friends an occasional challange may come up about who and best and usually ends up with someone buying pizza and beer.

Unless a large number of "rookie's" are involved I have been forbidden to use the Diamondback in any such compitations!

That should be enough to consider!

Bret4207
07-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Can't help on the Colts but I adore my Smith Kit Gun. Worth considering.

Cactus Farmer
07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Hm,
It sounds like your DB is a lot like my two K-22s. Rabbits at 50 yards or less are toast. Most out to 100 will feel the sting. One's a 1948 model and the other is a 1951. Being born in 49,I'm just guessing good things were make in those years.
As for a good cheap 22 revolver,I'm thinking "Oximoron". This does not compute. Unless you find a motivated buyer and then you better be quick with the cash. They go fast if they are even a little undervalued.
My other tack driver is a "Kart" conversoin on a 1911 frame. 2 pound trigger jobs are possible on these......long slide too.

HeavyMetal
07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Cactus:
You got it right! I find the older guns are just plain better built. A lot of that has to do with labor costs but the real culprit is filling demand so everyone tries to find short cuts.

I had a chance to buy a 5 screw K22 about ten years ago but just didn't have the cash.

I've also heard good things abut the Kart conversion and have an eye peeled for a good one
but may wind up with the Marvel sooner.

As in all things you get what you pay for!

358wcf
07-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Gents-
Like many of you, I enjoy a little 22rimfire revolver "just for fun", and it makes for a lot of short-range fun when shooting ground squirrels on the alfalfa fields-- I have absolutely no desire for single action revolvers, so my options are limited-- I've had an old S&W 4" kitgun bought new in the early '80s, and love it, but have been "needing" a larger revolver with preferably a 6" barrel and adjustable sights. Looking everywhere for a 6" model 17, there are none to be had, anywhere!
Yesterday, visiting my local shop, Ken reached under the counter and said "I've been saving this one for you"-- I knew I'd been had! Out came a pristine 6" Colt Police Positive Target 22LR, in fine shape, with adjustable sights to boot! That oh, so smooth Colt double action pull, on a firearm made by hand by American craftsmen, in the 1930's! Light to carry, slightly heavier and larger than the kitgun, I was hooked-- agreements were made, funds exchanged, and it will be mine soon!!!
I can't wait to get it sighted in and get a proper belt holster made up for it- afield we will go!

Oh, the Joy!!!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

HeavyMetal
07-31-2010, 03:43 PM
That "D" frame Colt will last you two life times if taken care of!

Nice score! Expect to hear good things in about 3 weeks.

If you can find some any of the Federal 22 loads seem to work very well in Colts.

My Diamondback favors the old Federal "Thunderbolt" load number 510 don't ask me why.

I'd suggest you start there!

oldhickory
07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
You can't do better than a pre-war Colt Officers Model Match, or Police Positive Target. The older S&Ws would be next, though they seem to be priced a bit higher around here. Colt's seemed to be bargains at the last gun show I attended.

Bret4207
08-01-2010, 08:43 AM
You can't do better than a pre-war Colt Officers Model Match, or Police Positive Target. The older S&Ws would be next, though they seem to be priced a bit higher around here. Colt's seemed to be bargains at the last gun show I attended.

You got that backwards.

9.3X62AL
08-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Bret--

Your heresy is duly noted, and recorded.

Yessir, the Diamondback was a very fine revolver in either 38 Special or 22 LR. In a virtuous world, such revolvers would still be in production--and in 327 Federal.

That Police Positive Target would be a real find! Given its 1930s production, it may be safe with high velocity ammunition--a thing not advisable with the S&W Bekeart small-framed target models. I "passed" on a 90%+ Bekeart example about 18 months ago, for that reason.

oldhickory
08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
You got that backwards.

Last show I attended it seemed like the older Smiths were fetching considderably more than the Colts.

buck1
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
The trooper mkIII is a wonderfill .22

smkummer
08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Agree with above. I have several Colts and a pre-war officer model 22 that is superb but maybe just a little big (although lighter than a trooper MKIII) for a trail gun. It is rock steady and very smooth. The pre-war police positive target is of a better size for the 22 and field use but it appears that 1/2 of them for sale are in 22 wrf and not 22 LR. I may be the first to say it here but don't discount a H & R 999 sportsman. Adjustable sights, 9 SHOTS!, blue or nickel and 4 or 6 in. barrel. Prices are rising on these also as people discover that its also a fine shooter DA 22.

Bret4207
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Last show I attended it seemed like the older Smiths were fetching considderably more than the Colts.

And worth it too. Sorry, I'm just a Smiff guy.:drinks:

2wheelDuke
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Any S&W .22 revolvers I've seen have been way out of my ballpark. I picked up a Taurus M94 instead. I haven't gotten to test it out, but it's still very tight after running most of a brick of thunderbolts thru it on the first day. And the double action pull is pretty bad. I was being cheap and re-using the same target alot, so at first I didn't notice the key-holing that happened.

It was leaded up pretty bad when I got home. I need to try some other rounds in it and make sure that leading problem isn't consistent.

oldhickory
08-04-2010, 06:04 PM
And worth it too. Sorry, I'm just a Smiff guy.:drinks:

Well, I gotta admit, Bret, my favorite revolver is a S&W. ;-)

AZ-Stew
08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I have two M-48s, one with an auxiliary .22LR cylinder fitted to it. That one shoots better with the LR cylinder than it does with the Magnum cylinder. I've taken jack rabbits with it at 80+ yards, one-handed, back when my eyes were good and my hands were steady. One of these days I'll get a LR cylinder fitted to the other one. I bought the first one from a dealer, the second in a private sale. Both were reasonable. Certainly not the price of a Ruger .22 auto pistol, but not the price of a S&W Magnum of any caliber at the time. They make great double action practice guns. I can work the actions on them to be as good as any of my S&W center fire guns, but not quite as light, since they need the extra hammer spring tension to ensure reliable firing.

Regards,

Stew

Bulltipper
08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I have in the "box" a model 17 smith with a 8" barrel and now after reading this i am going to have to go get it out and put a few thru her. with the 8" that one shoots like a laser...DIE SKWERL!!

txpete
09-06-2010, 05:25 PM
last year a old friend and army buddy called me up and asked if I had any interest in some of his guns and to come over for a look.when I got there I had first dibs.he has quit hunting and shooting and wanted these to go to a good home.

got this for my grandson for when he gets older

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/colt22002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/colt22006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/colt22007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/colt1004.jpg

6 " blue diamondback 22

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/357%20mag/colt001.jpg

Dale53
09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
M-m-m-m-H ! M-m-m-m-m-H!

You did GOOD!:drinks:

Dale53

oldhickory
09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Wow!..That pair of Diamondbacks is nice!

txpete
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
oops the one on top is a 6" python bright stainless.
pete

oldhickory
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
oops the one on top is a 6" python bright stainless.
pete

Ooooohhh! Even better!:bigsmyl2:

DCP
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I had a 6 inch Diamond Back 22 and a Diamond Back 38 nickle

I regret selling the 38 but not the 22.

That 22 had a sweet double action until you put shells in it and fired it.
Then it was so tight the cylinder wouldn't turn. (The heads would sweel)
Tried all kinds of ammo sent it back to colt.
Target ammo did the best but she would still lock up before I could fire 12 rounds.

Never so happy to see such a beautiful gun go. Don't miss it.
But I sure do that 38