PDA

View Full Version : do we swap brass here? can you ship it

shagg
07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm just curious if there is a place here to trade brass? I'm not even sure its legal to ship it??? I have friends locally that i swap different cases but was curious if that sort of thing goes on here?

ph4570
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, Go to the swappin and sellin section of this forum.

theperfessor
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
It's legal to ship empty brass. Primed brass or loaded ammo is another story.

Johnch
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
It's legal to ship empty brass. Primed brass or loaded ammo is another story.

Errr
Unless it has changed in the last month

It is legal to ship primed brass or primed shotgun shells through the mail

But not loaded ammo , primers or powder :-( :-(

John

theperfessor
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
You could be right. I was just passing on what I was told at the PO. But the clerks there have been wrong before. I'd certainly double check before I sent any primed brass just to be sure.

NVcurmudgeon
07-30-2010, 12:47 AM
I use what I call "creative nomenclature." Whether shipping USPS, UPS, or Fedex, I always tell the truth, but in very general terms. Also, I never ship anything illegal. One must be careful to avoid anything remotely related to the "G" word. A Dillon Square Deal becomes "tools," as are dies, moulds, etc. A few hundred empty cases is described as "small metal parts." A sectioned .303 case sent to the .303 Page made it safely across the border under the flag of "brass tubing." Other than when I am shipping a gun, which I call a shotgun, revolver, etc. everything else is described in the terms listed above. Those are all descriptions I have used for actual shipments. There is no point to doing an "in your face" to an anti. I live by the old saying, "don't start nuthin there won't be nuthin." It keeps excitable people calm and friendly.

RayinNH
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't believe primed brass can go through the USPS. UPS is fine though...Ray

MtGun44
07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
UPS and FedEx are fine for shipping primed brass and ammo. You just need
to mark it "ORM-D small arms ammuntion" on the side with a std type of
sticker. No big deal and no special payment or anything.

Not OK in Post Office.

Bill

theperfessor
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I had to go downtown to the city police dept to pick up my renewal form for my CCW permit. While there I walked across the street to the main PO and talked to a postal inspector. Bill is quite right - you can't send primed ammo through the USPS.

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather not have a uniformed law enforcement representative of the federal government show up on my doorstep with a warrant!

pdawg_shooter
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I shipped a set of Colt Python grips north of the border once. They were no pistol grips they were wood carvings.

lylejb
07-31-2010, 01:12 AM
When I add primed shotgun hulls to my cart at midway, it shows parcel post, priority mail, FRB, among the shipping options.

you can't send primed ammo through the USPS

I thought primed and ammo were two different things, in the eyes of the post office.

another one of those gooberment things that make no sense.

izzyjoe
07-31-2010, 10:08 AM
i bougth some 308 brass off gb 2 years ago, and the guy had it listed as once fired brass. anyway he shipped it in a flat rate box for 4.85. well when i open the box it to my surprize it was primed brass:shock:. so i did'nt think much about it, but a couple days later he emailed me and said he mixed up the brass. so i got the wrong brass and he made a booboo. no harm done just a mixup, but i'd bet that's hapend many times before. but like some people say, it aint wrong till you get caught. but if there was'nt ever an accident nobody be the wiser.

theperfessor
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd bet Midways software isn't smart enough to catch it when it's in your cart before your order is finalized. Has anyone ever received primed ammo from Midway through USPS?

I'm just telling you what I was told by a Postal inspector who seemed very knowledgeable about ammunition and reloading components.

lylejb
07-31-2010, 01:20 PM
With all due respect, there you did it again

primed ammo

primed brass and live ammo are two different things

While I fully agree with better safe than arrested, I think if you asked about "primed ammo" the inspector would have thought you were asking about live ammunition, which would be NO.

The inspector may not have understood primed brass if you asked about "primed ammo"

felix
07-31-2010, 01:36 PM
The post office here takes ammo if labeled as such. He won't take the box, though, with any rattles. Make sure each round is protected from bouncing with another. ... felix

theperfessor
07-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Actually I asked about primed cases that did not have any powder or projectiles (shot or bullets) in them. I did not word it that way in my post which is my fault. Since there seems to be some different experiences regarding this among the members here I plan to contact the office of the Inspector General next week. I will request a written response via email from them that I will post here and perhaps we can get the mods to make it a sticky.

Like I said and readily admit I've been wrong before and may well be wrong about this and will post results whether it confirms or refutes what I've been told by a local representative of the postal services law enforcement arm.

But I did take the time to talk to an inspector, not a window clerk, and I was very clear with my questions and the inspector did seem to have a very clear understanding of the various components that are used in ammunition.

JIMinPHX
07-31-2010, 04:09 PM
You can find the swappin & sellin section of the board here -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Lots of brass is available.

357shooter
07-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Primed brass is not allowed. Found this info:

USPS Publication 52 "Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable
Mail" says that you can't ship ammunition by mail.

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

c. Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of
hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and
designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun,
as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including
those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any
firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm

JIMinPHX
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
You might also look here for the brass that you need -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=88199

theperfessor
07-31-2010, 09:46 PM
prgallo, thanks for the link to the applicable postal regulations. It covers the issue clearly and answers every question I was ready to ask the Inspector General's office in a letter I posted for member proofreading in another thread.

Before I made my first post to this thread I asked my wife, a recently retired USPS employee, what the rules were. While she has no interest in guns and reloading, she is a very sharp lady who understands what the basic components are in ammunition. (She ought to, she's bought me a lot of powder, primers and bullets over the years!) She told me exactly what the rules were as listed in the link provided, she just didn't have any clue as to exactly what document they were in. She'll be happy to hear she was right.

And that's exactly what the clerk and later the inspector of our local PO told me. So far the PO is batting 1000.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I intend to follow the rules. As another poster has pointed out, its OK to ship primed brass and ammo through other shippers. I've never done it but apparently its not all that difficult a procedure. And its legal.

357shooter
08-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Glad to help out. Great topic too as we all had different levels of understanding and/or misunderstanding.