PDA

View Full Version : Is it practicle

GOPHER SLAYER
07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I have two Ruger Blackhawks, one the three screw model and one the current issue. The new model came with a spare cylinder chambered for the nine mm Luger cartridge. How exciting is that?Nine MM cylinder Shoots terribly by the way. I was given a five inch barrel from an older model in forty five colt cal.and I was wondering if it is feasible to put the older barrel on the newer Blackhawk and rechamber the spare cylinder for the forty five Colt? I can see the that the threaded area on the newer model barrel is longer so I would have to set the shoulder back . Does anyone know if the threads are the same, in size and count. Any ideas out there in cast bullet land?

Larry Gibson
07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Might want to consider the length of that 9mm cylinder from the recoil shield to the front in comparison to the AOL of the .45 Colt with many bullets. Many bullets for the .45 Colt, especially a couple of older Keith type, are made for longer cylinders than what I believe that Ruger 9mm is.

If the cylinder is too short you might think about having the barrel lined to .44 and then chambering the 9mm cylinder to .44 Special, that's what my thought would be.

Larry Gibson

bigboredad
07-29-2010, 10:02 PM
if the cylinder is too short for the .45 colt you could always make it for the .45 schofield and the .45 acp just a thought. I would think there would be no problem to screw the barrel on but I'm not a gunsmith and I don't even play one on TV. I'm just a guy that loves rugers and loves .45's

GOPHER SLAYER
07-29-2010, 10:45 PM
That was my first thought Larry. The 9mm cylinder is the same length as the .357 cylinder. I don't know what the length of a 45 Colt cylinder is since I don't have one. I held a loaded 45 Colt round next to the 9mm cylinder and it had length to spare. I don't know what the weight of the bullet is.

MT Gianni
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.castpics.net/

Go to members articles and cast in the 9mm Blackhawk for a ton of information. Then thank Beagle.