PDA

View Full Version : powley computer

craveman85
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
i couldnt find excactly where to put this post so i put it here. i found a powley pressure calculator online and have been putting in different loads but was wondering on its accuracy. it says that i can propell my 500 grain bullet to 1500fps with 21000 cup. should i trust this tool? another load i compared from a manual had the exact same cup output.

http://kwk.us/powley.html

MtGun44
07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Generally recognized that, within it's limitations - IMR powders, basically, that the Powley is
reasonably accurate.

I'd guess no problem doing what you want. For a near comparison of an actual load --
I get 1750 on the chrono from 57 gr W748 with a 405gr cast RCBS GC boolit
in my Marlin GG. This is a published load that is reported by Brian Pierce to have been
pressure tested at Trapdoor pressure levels. This is possible due to it being a slow powder
that keeps peak pressure low. This load is very accurate for me, too.

Cross correlating any theoretical data like Powley with actual pressur tested data from manuals
is a good idea to stay safe.

Bill

craveman85
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
i used the computer wrong initially and found that my loads will produce 27000 cup at my hotter load level and about 24000 at my lower level. ill probably just use the hot loads for my guide gun and the lighter loads for my buffalo classic if i ever get it back from remingtons shop

Gadzooks Mike
07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone know where to get an old manual Powely Computer? Or a PDF file that a person could use to make one?

BCB
08-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Gadzooks Mike,

That’s what they look like—I am assuming that is the one you are indicating…

I purchased mine 20+ years ago according to the postmark on the envelop it was sent in…

I purchased mine from:

Hutton Rifle Ranch
P.O. Box 45236
Boise, Idaho 83711

Don’t even know if they exist anymore…

Might be worth a try to locate them—who knows, they might have a couple of them collecting dust in some corner…

Good-luck…BCB

phaessler
08-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Probably bought the last one BCB..lol...... I have two, and have been trying to cleanly copy them for a while but to no avail, like all the slide charts of old, the font and line thickness varies so much from printed materials that accuracy/repeatabilty suffers.
I have used it with some succes though, mostly IMR powders as stated, and also have used an old Speer Ballisitic Calculator.
Again nothing beats confirming you load choice with two or three different references.
Pete

MtGun44
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
There was a spreadsheet version out on the web, does the calculations mathematically,
rather than using the old nomographs like the Powley does.

Bill

Gadzooks Mike
08-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Gadzooks Mike,

That’s what they look like—I am assuming that is the one you are indicating…

Yup, that's it. Thanks for the address, I'll see what I can shake up.