PDA

View Full Version : high standard camp gun

bigenate20guage
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM
hay guys i just added a new member to the family. I picked up a high standard camp gun. I got it for a song but its missing the front sight. I scoured the net but have had no luck finding a new one. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance
nate

BarryinIN
07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm sort of a High Standard fan and have a few (very few) parts, but don't know what the camp gun is. Any more info?

docone31
07-28-2010, 10:39 PM
It was listed as a camp gun.
It is a pistol. An after market sight might work, or be available for it.

BarryinIN
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I found it. It's a variation of their Sentinel revolver, which is why it didn't ring a bell with me since I'm not too sharp on their revolvers. It's basically a 6" barreled Sentinel, and was made from 1976 until the end in 1984.
I do know enough about Sentinels to know they have one of the best feeling grip frames of any revolver I've felt. I'm jealous of your purchase since I've wanted to try one just for that reason alone.

Most of the .22 Sentinels seem to be 4" barreled or shorter. I don't know if the front sight is different, but if you found one for a 4" and it was cheap enough it might be worth trying. Some of those later model Sentinels appear to have a front sight integral with the barrel though.

Careful: A couple of Sentinel models were actually Dan Wesson .357 Mags marked High Standard. I think they were the Mark II and Mark III.

There is a High Standard forum on collector/expert John Stimson's website, and you might post there to see if anyone had the right sight. http://www.histandard.info/

fourarmed
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I have owned a 6" and a 4" Sentinel. On both of them the front sight fit (soldered?) into a mortise in the barrel. Should be easy to file one if you can't find a replacement. Put it in with epoxy.

semtav
07-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I bought a Sentinel Deluxe at a garage sale for $35 back when I was in High School. Wound up loosing it when I shot a coyote and layed it on the ground to pick up the coyote.
Finally bought another years later ( 6") then a 4".
Just really like the feel. Never could see why people were so enamored over the S&W's.

( not that that has anything to do with the OP's question)

bigenate20guage
07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
thanks for the imput i ordered a Sentinel front sight and will let you know how it works out.

thanks
nate

tom threepersons
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't know why S&W is so popular? Why has High Standard been out of Biz for decades? I bet if you think about it you could figure this out on your own.:bigsmyl2:

bigenate20guage
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
hay guys sorry abought not letting you guys know but i found a sight for her and i love that little pistol!!!