PDA

View Full Version : hardness in magnum twist

charger 1
08-27-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm wondering if when dealing with the 45 cal magnums and their quick twists is it possible to get the bullet to hard? I know it has to be hard enough to engrage good rifling, but at what hardness does the brittle factor cause the quick twist to just shear the lead of instead of engraving. I sometimes wonder if heat treating into the 30bn range is a good idea on these heavy weights in magnum barrels?

Bass Ackward
08-27-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm wondering if when dealing with the 45 cal magnums and their quick twists is it possible to get the bullet to hard? I know it has to be hard enough to engrage good rifling, but at what hardness does the brittle factor cause the quick twist to just shear the lead of instead of engraving. I sometimes wonder if heat treating into the 30bn range is a good idea on these heavy weights in magnum barrels?

I have used babbit bullets up to 40 BHN in a 14 twist without any problems that you are asking. In fact, that rifle, over 2000 fps, gave you a little more love if you did go hard. Never encountered a "fragile" factor even when pressing limits.

44man
08-27-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree with Bass, too hard doesn't hurt shooting if the boolit fits. The problem comes from impacting bone where they might shatter. The boolit must also be tough for game.

charger 1
08-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Kinda what I thought,but you know its kinda nice to test the footing before you head down the trail. Thanks boys!!!!!!

Nrut
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
charger 1...It would be interesting to see what happens when you go down this trail...be sure to report back....

Black Prince
08-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Speaking of hard bullets, how do you harden bullets besides water quinching them while casting? I did something to harden them 15 years ago in the stove oven but I have forgotten how. I think I put them in the oven after casting at about 300 degrees or just short of causing them to slump? I think I left them for an hour and then I don't remember what I did with them. I have linotype, wheel weights, lead, and 60/40 bar solder so I can make up just about any kind of bullet except babbit. I need a REASONABLY hard bullet for my 44 mag to hunt with. I don't want any expansion. I want a hard bullet to go through and not lead my 12 inch Bullberry barrel on my Contender. Any of you fellers that know about hardening bullets and could refresh my old CRS memory, I sure would appreciate it. Dang this CRS stuff. Is it contageous? If so, ya'll better stay away from me cause I gotta terminal case of it.

waksupi
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Black Prince, you have it pretty close. I use a small broiler oven for the job. I heat a trash bullet up to slump temperature, then back things off a bit. My oven says this is around 425, I seem to recall.
Try another, and if it stays good, then I put in the good ones. You can adjust down from that temperature. I experimented at 25 degree intervals, leaving them in an hour, and was able to accomplish a wide range of hardness with WW bullets.

Black Prince
08-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Waksupi. I assume then after heating in the oven that you just let the bullets air cool? I don't remember quinching them back when I used to do that, but then, I can't remember spit anymore. Wal, that ain't exactly true.

This afternoon after church, I took my old Mod. 29 Smith out of the safe for the first time in 15 years and went to the shooting range. It is just like it came out of the box and I've never done anything to it except shoot it and love it. I thought I'd have to start slow and learn to shoot it all over again.

I loaded it with five rounds and ran them double action at 25 yards at the steel plates and hit every one shooting moderately fast. Out of a box of 50, I missed three times. For an old fart with cataracts, that ain't too shabby ah shooting. Dang it feels good to have an old friend in your hand doesn't it? When I threw it up on the targets I didn't even have to think. It just did what it was supposed to do automatically. I'm gonna start shooting that revolver more. I didn't realize how much I missed it!

waksupi
08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Still have to quench them, the quicker, the better. Air cooling them, would just allow them to be like any other air cooled bullet.

DLCTEX
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
When you have the bullets heated,you then drop them into cold water, If you let them air cool you soften them. You want to cool them as quickly as possible, some guys drop them into brine water with ice, like an ice cream freezer works, I don't think this is necessary, but I've never tested it to see how much difference it makes.

charger 1
08-28-2006, 06:54 AM
And quick is the word. It also means keeping the bullets seperated on the tray so water can circulate around them quickly. One time I did some and on the way from oven to water 6 or 7 slid to a corner of the tray. Because they quenched together they quenched slow. the rest tested 31bn those few tested 10bn

waksupi
08-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Charger, I use a full layer of bullets on the broiler tray, and actually drop the whole tray directly in the water. Much quicker that way. I've not see signs of hardness variation from them touching. However, I don't check the hardness of every bullet.

sundog
08-28-2006, 09:18 AM
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm