PDA

View Full Version : Carcanoitis.........

JeffinNZ
07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Team.

The president of my club just bought a Carcano identical to mine and possibly I might have sent him the auction site link and been a bad influence. Forgive me fathers for I have sinned...... :mrgreen:

NOW both of use can go shooting wallabies with the Italian Stallion.

dragonrider
07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Did it come with purple tights?? :D:D

Tertle
07-29-2010, 05:02 AM
Greetings Team,

Yes someone is a very bad influence, a link was sent and as a result i might have sort of aquired a Carcano, as for the pink tights,well, we will just have to wait till the next time we hit the hills and see what photos come from that.

For now i have a bit of learning to do and it looks like i have been directed in the right direction.

Cheers

JeffinNZ
07-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Duh oh. He found us!!!

Welcome Tertle.

Now let's get something straight from the outset though. They are polyprop LONG JOHNS and purple, not pink.

Boz330
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
PINK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PURPLE, what's the difference?:bigsmyl2:
If you were to wear those deer hunting it would be like shooting fish in a barrel because they would be laying on the ground choking with laughter. AWHA that is why you wear those.:kidding:
It was a memorable picture though Jeff.

Bob

Mk42gunner
07-29-2010, 08:58 PM
PINK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PURPLE, what's the difference?:bigsmyl2:
If you were to wear those deer hunting it would be like shooting fish in a barrel because they would be laying on the ground choking with laughter. AWHA that is why you wear those.:kidding:
It was a memorable picture though Jeff.

Bob

Memorable... that's the problem, I'm still trying to forget.

Welcome aboard Tertle,

Might I suggest that if your new Carcano doesn't shoot, we all know where one is located close to you that does.

Robert

Tertle
08-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome, its looks like an extremely informative site, as for men in tights.......well i too must confess to the ownership of Long Johns! again i stress LONG JOHNS!

well only a few more days and the new addition to the family will be here, then the fun begins.....Thankfuly i think i will be able to find someone able to teach me the art of casting projectiles, me thinks this is the beginning of a whole new direction, should be fun.

Tertle
08-06-2010, 09:38 PM
she arrived today, im happy, very nice looking bore, great crown, good condition overall, now i start to learn how to cast for her....... photos soon

JeffinNZ
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I can report that Tertle's Carcano has arrived and behold it was pretty. Almost identical to mine and the bore is a tad better. We took a chamber cast with sulphur/graphite and she measures .269 in the throat, .268 in the groove so same internal dims at mine also. He will post photos soon.

If Mrs Tertle finds out I am involved I may be force to become another illegal alien in the US!

madsenshooter
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't mind becoming an illegal to NZ! Could you check for printing jobs for me?

uncle joe
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
just one thing to say Jeff, Your an enabler
and it takes one to know one, I 'enabled' my bil a while back now he has more reloading and casting junk than me.
enjoy the company ;-]

Tertle
08-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you , my computer is on her last legs!

If my beloved Mrs Tertle finds out there will be more than one person looking for a new home.....

Mind you as one of my bosses recently reminded me "sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for for permission"

yes jeff showed me this neat trick of chamber casting, and how cool was that!!!!, it means that there are a few more rifles here that will be getting a new lease on life soon. I am extremely keen to learn this new aspect of reloading and am incredibly happy that i have been stock piling lead for a while.

after the casting with jeff i went into work, we have a large fleet of vehicles and a garage to service them, as ocassionally they get knocked about, i now have a good supply of wheel weights.

so i can see a bit of a steep learning curve ahead but am really keen to get into it.

Ive included the stock standard longjohn photo as required for hunting permits here in NZ......

ive recently up gragded so the new pair will be in future photos.....i will post some more later today, but its a tidy rifle and one that i am extremely happy to have been gently directed towards

Tertle
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
A problem shared is a problem halved....... Mrs tertle is now aware....... Jeff, i got me out of most of it, but you, hmmmmm hahahaha

I soon had her in awe of your longjohns and scrotum (wallaby) pic's so i think we are ok.

:)

JeffinNZ
08-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Nice photos. Your bore is definitely better than mine. Should be FINE shooter.

Now, cast your memory back to 5th form maths. The inverse of 1/2 is 2, if I am not mistaken. Whilst your problems may have halved by informing Mrs Tertle mine have now doubled. I now have TWO angry wifes.

Mk42gunner
08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Looks like a nice rifle. I'm guessing by the stampings that New Zealand proof fires all small arms that are imported?

Robert

JeffinNZ
08-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Looks like a nice rifle. I'm guessing by the stampings that New Zealand proof fires all small arms that are imported?

Robert

No, the marks are British. I understand Parker Hale did these conversions. Have yet to track down the info for sure.

Kiwi's and proof marks. You do make me laugh..........[smilie=s:

Beekeeper
08-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Tertle, Jeff,
If I may ask did you buy the Carcano stateside or in NZ.
Have wanted one but haven't found one I would spend my money on.
The one you have is a beauty compared to the ones I have seen.

Jim

JeffinNZ
08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Both bought domestically in NZ. Both are really tidy for their age etc.

Mk42gunner
08-16-2010, 01:55 AM
No, the marks are British. I understand Parker Hale did these conversions. Have yet to track down the info for sure.

Kiwi's and proof marks. You do make me laugh..........[smilie=s:

Glad I could lighten your day, since you now have Mrs. Jeff and Mrs.Tertle annoyed with you.

Robert

Tertle
08-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Both bought domestically in NZ. Both are really tidy for their age etc.

The rifles arnt bad either! :grin:

Beekeeper
08-18-2010, 12:06 PM
You are a brave man Tertle!
How brave will you be if the other half sees your last post

Jim

bruce drake
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Carcanoitis is normally cured by a good injection of Garand to keep you regular. Its an Unproven fact that shooting a Garand will stiffen things up for you. It has something to do with the OpRod...

Too much shooting of Carcano rifles have been implicated in a rifleman's desire to wear pink and purple tights and go hooning in public places...

So Tertle and Jeff, no need to get Wobbly on me when I spout facts that I can't defend in a court of law, but that's what I've heard happens when you shoot a Carcano...

P.S. A very nice Carcano by the way...By the way, we are all Rellies here...I'm even trying to pick up the slang you Kiwis use when you become our 51st and 52nd States... ;)

Bruce

Beekeeper
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Jeff , Tertle,
I Think the purple tights is a hemisphere thing.
Jeff wears purple tights in the southern hemisphere and Buckshots shooting buddy wears a purple "T" shirt in the northern hemisphere.
Maybe it is a cultural thing after all.

By the way you haven't said how you fared with Mrs Tertle yet

Jim

bruce drake
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
THey both might be hiding out on the South Island until Mrs. Tertle and Mrs Jeff stop hunting for them with those new Carcanos...

JeffinNZ
08-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, it's a big place the South Island. Lots of nocks and grannies to hide in. Most hold game!

Tertle
08-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Beekeeper, like all good men, i wear the pants at home! That is till she tells me otherwise, then i merely do as i am told, and i rely heavily on the fact that she will never really get into cast projectiles and find this site....if she does......well then hmmmmm "love you wifey!"

i think im rather fortunate as i think my wife has just come accustomed to the odd new addition to the collection, she is a joiner and made me a lovely big gun cabinet, she said that will keep you going as there is space for 15 rifles.......well its holding a fair few more now! And in all fairness wasnt all that long ago!

Jeff is very safe, i told my beloved how much money i would save by making my own boolits and that Jeff was a guru of the purple long johns in that field, (sort of like the order of the garter) and that he was kind enough to offer to teach me, also i think after seeing jeffs purple long john pictures and the fact he has a black lab she has mellowed

Mk42gunner
08-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Beekeeper, like all good men, i wear the pants at home! That is till she tells me otherwise, then i merely do as i am told, and i rely heavily on the fact that she will never really get into cast projectiles and find this site....if she does......well then hmmmmm "love you wifey!"

i think im rather fortunate as i think my wife has just come accustomed to the odd new addition to the collection, she is a joiner and made me a lovely big gun cabinet, she said that will keep you going as there is space for 15 rifles.......well its holding a fair few more now! And in all fairness wasnt all that long ago!

Jeff is very safe, i told my beloved how much money i would save by making my own boolits and that Jeff was a guru of the purple long johns in that field, (sort of like the order of the garter) and that he was kind enough to offer to teach me, also i think after seeing jeffs purple long john pictures and the fact he has a black lab she has mellowed

Just don't tell her how much it will cost you to save all that money.[smilie=l:

Robert

JeffinNZ
08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
That's what I was thinking Robert.

And Tertle forgot to mention that Bella, the black lab, is a bit 'special'. LOL.

bruce drake
08-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Tertle,

Like you and Jeff I wear the pants at home as well...But the wife has told me in no uncertain terms at times that despite my ability to lead a Battalion's worth of men on the battlefield, sometimes the field of battle in the house is not my "home turf" I've also learned that The Chief Budget Officer in our house discovers quickly whenever I buy a new rifle...Then again, After 15 years of marriage, she also understands that my gun safes do fill up "on their own" quite regularly...
So have the Carcano's been baptized with lead yet?
Bruce

Tertle
08-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Tertle,

Like you and Jeff I wear the pants at home as well...But the wife has told me in no uncertain terms at times that despite my ability to lead a Battalion's worth of men on the battlefield, sometimes the field of battle in the house is not my "home turf" I've also learned that The Chief Budget Officer in our house discovers quickly whenever I buy a new rifle...Then again, After 15 years of marriage, she also understands that my gun safes do fill up "on their own" quite regularly...
So have the Carcano's been baptized with lead yet?
Bruce

Bruce,

No sadly i am yet to do that. could be a weee while, I had a chance to purchase some milsurp ammo but am so impressed with the bore i would like to keep this solely for lead. There is a bloke in NZ that does sell the brass for the Carcano, however its some absolute ridicules cost, so I am trying to get some good brass from overseas, possibly the States if i can wangle it, or need be from Canada.

Then I will harass Jeff as to the teaching and making of projectiles, he did show me the most clever trick of how to caste the bore, of which I still have it sitting in the study with a couple of lead projectiles he has made for his rifle, tell you what, the bore caste looks bloody great!

I have a stack of lead, father in laws lead from his roof!(old place not current!) an ongoing supply of wheel weights from work, so in that respects am fine. Should that lead be ok.

Trust me I am actively sourcing components and will be aiming for its first outing soon on a planned hunt, longjohns are already packed!

darwinmauser
09-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Hello fellow addicts ,I have been lurking here for some time so I thought it was time to join.

Tertle ,I don't know if they will export them ...there's no valid reason that they wouldn't but you never know.

http://westernfirearms.com.au/reloading-brass-65-carcano-new-brass-100-p-261.html

I have been using this brass for some time without a problem,it's sold in the US as Privi Partizan .

Cheers
Pete

Tertle
09-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Hello fellow addicts ,I have been lurking here for some time so I thought it was time to join.

Tertle ,I don't know if they will export them ...there's no valid reason that they wouldn't but you never know.

http://westernfirearms.com.au/reloading-brass-65-carcano-new-brass-100-p-261.html

I have been using this brass for some time without a problem,it's sold in the US as Privi Partizan .

Cheers
Pete

Cheers for that Pete, have flicked them an email will see what they say, that could speed the process up a tad! very handy indeed!

Boz330
09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Grafs sells the brass as well.

Bob

darwinmauser
09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Grafs sells the brass as well.

Bob

Your right Bob Grafs sell the brass but not to people outside the US ,They also sell 6.5x54 MS although they're out of stock ATM ( I need some ) . The US government has made it almost impossible to export brass, projectiles , rifle barrels ect ect without a lot of expensive paperwork ,I think the export licence is something like $250.00 per shipment ,it's absurd ,and we have a free trade agreement with you guys for what it's worth.:confused:

Tertle
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
would you believe he sold his last 200 cases yesterday......That would tear ya nighty!

TDB9901
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Jeff and Tertle

Just heard on the Radio News that your part of the world is shaking........ You guys OK????

Tertle
09-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Jeff and Tertle

Just heard on the Radio News that your part of the world is shaking........ You guys OK????

things been a tad hectic, thankfuly no major structural damage at home other than waking to the sound of smashing plates bowls etc, falling book cases and 3 dogs and a slightly frightened wife, but we were lucky we lost power and water but are back to normal now. However it did get me out of bed rather quickly.....

wife now very pleased that i had spent some time and money on a rather well stocked civil defence emergency kit! sort of makes up for the odd spend on italian rifles!!! tell you what folks if you aint got one, get one......doesnt have to be flash as but it just needs to be practical and have the basics.

however there has certainly been a bit of damage to some places, thankfuly no resulting loss of life, which considering the jolt i am just amazed. When you consider a similar quake that stuck Haiti we have been very lucky.

however its been rather busy, there has been curfews put in place and no go areas in central CBD areas, now the tidy up begins.