PDA

View Full Version : 1874 sharps repro.

bigted
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
i know...another of these but this one is new as its from me!

my "uberti-italy" sharps repreduction 74 sharps is almost as much fun as i thought it would be. just have couple questions about it.

it is in 45/70. serial # is sh283**. the half round half oct. barrel is 34 inches long. weighs around 12 lbs im guessing.

question i have is when i take it apart for cleaning i notice that the block is massive,,,being bigger then my ruger #1 was. so i wonder if i couldnt load from the marlin area for this rifle. i believe that these loads are held under 40,000 psi and this action LOOKS like it will hold em. anybody have an opinion or experience with this action and these loads?

thanks for the input and advise in advance. let er go with both barrels.[smilie=s:

KCSO
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Who made the gun, if it isn't a Pedersoli DON'T hot rod it, the firing pin may be the large one and you WILL pierce primers. In addition the IAB clan don't do a good job of hardening and big doesn't measure up to properly heat treated.

Buckshot
07-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Who made the gun, .

"uberti-italy" sharps repreduction 74 sharps

............Buckshot

Southron Sanders
08-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Theoretically, the Sharps action is one of the strongest there is. That being said, I would check with Uberti before I exceeded any load recommended by a reputable reloading manual.

I used to work for an Italian company that manufactured reproduction firearms. The powder used to "Proof" the barrels and actions at the Italian Proof Houses is VERY WEAK, so just because your rifle has Italian Proof Marks stamped on it-keep in mind that they don't mean all that much.

halfslow
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I used to have an Uberti Sharps.
In my research I learned that they were made by Pedersoli.
The Pedersoli is the best of the lot of the imported Sharps.
The letter released by Pedersoli about the strength on the Sharps can be found at:
http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/pedersoli_proof_rules_and_allowable_limits_09-04.htm.

To quote pertinent passages from the letter:
""The modern replica Sharps, Rolling Block and Trapdoor models we produce are stronger than their original versions due in part to improved steels as well as minor changes made to strengthen original design weakness and add some discrete safety features. Although it is unpleasant to shoot maximum pressure loadings, we do permit the use of ammunition which does not exceed 29007 psi or CUP in these BP Ctg Rifles, regardless of their caliber. This allowable maximum pressure may be obtained using either black powder or smokeless powder loadings.
We are aware that there is smokeless powder 45-70 cal. commercial ammunition being sold which advertises pressures of 40,000 psi and we advise against use of this type ammunition.""

BTW, Dick Trenk is/was THE Pedersoli representative.

KCSO
08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
The limiting factor with any Sharps real or repro is the firing pin. The old large firing pin is only good for LOW PRESSURE. Check the firing pin hole first and a gas sheild breech block isn't a bad idea either. Gas leakage on a Sharps comes right back into your eyes.

cajun shooter
08-20-2010, 05:15 PM
halfslow, In case you have not heard Dick Trent is no longer with us on this terra firma.