PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Shocker!!!!!

Brother_Love
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I was at the range this morning and the guy next to me had a Mossberg 30/06 with some kind of skelton laminated stock. It was a factory stock. He was using Federal blue box walmart ammo.

First three shots at 50 yds were a little over an inch. He pushed the target back to a 100 yds and shot 3-- 5 shot groups, 2 right at an inch and 1 at 3/4". I was impressed & shocked with that rifle as ugly as it was.

Malcolm

missionary5155
07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Greetings
Ugly is only in the eye of the beholder. Consider the model 1917 caliber .30 next to a model 1903 caliber .30... But my 1918 built Eddystone will shoot as well as any 1903 I have owned and that 1917 is heavy to boot.
So really it all comes down to that barrel & action being well seated in a firm stock with the right ammo to get all those harmonics singing the right song.
But from the sounds of it.. it sure is an ugly duckling.

stephen perry
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I owned a Mossberg 810 rifle 30-06, very conservative rifle. Shot well. The stock issue is a non-issue to me. You own what you buy, stocks with holes don't interest me, I have no thumbhole stocks or ventilated ones, sounds like a yuppie or oppie fad.

As far as accuracy the Mossberg is the norm for an 06. Mossberg has made guns for over a 100 years.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

deerslayer
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I have been told that Mossberg actually makes all the shotgun barrels for remington. Unsure if that is true or not but if so I wonder if its they other way on rifles??

RKJ
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/26554.jpg

I've been casually looking for an inexpensive .223 for my Grandson & I (for me now and him when he gets old enough to deer hunt). Unfortunately they don't make it in .223. I find them ugly myself though.

bstarling
07-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a Mossberg 100ATR in 270 and it shoots really well. Tupperware stock and all from Wally World was $260. It's a lot of bang for the bucks.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2010, 08:29 AM
my ugly o6 atr will shoot into less then an inch at a 100 yards and if it had any kind of a decent trigger it would be scarry accurate.
I have a Mossberg 100ATR in 270 and it shoots really well. Tupperware stock and all from Wally World was $260. It's a lot of bang for the bucks.

Bill

bstarling
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
my ugly o6 atr will shoot into less then an inch at a 100 yards and if it had any kind of a decent trigger it would be scarry accurate.

Lloyd, Mine had a sorry trigger when I got it. I called Mossberg and fussed a bit. They told me to send it to them and they would take care of it. Yes, they did take care of it and did it well! I haven't put a scale on it since the trigger joy, but it is plenty light and no creep. Then the sent me gun back and all this was for NO CHARGE!

Bill

jlchucker
07-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't have a Mossberg rifle, but I have to agree that Ugly is as ugly does. They stop being ugly when you see that they shoot tight groups. I've seen some pretty looking rifles shoot some really crappy groups, and owned a couple, when I was younger and stupider. I never owned one (yet) myself but I saw a Moisin Nagant once at the range that was ugly as all getout. Its owner was shooting it under an inch, consistently, at 100 yd. He didn't think that was so ugly.

Firebricker
07-31-2010, 09:52 AM
I have been told that Mossberg actually makes all the shotgun barrels for remington. Unsure if that is true or not but if so I wonder if its they other way on rifles??

I had heard that Mossberg makes the door breaching barrels for 870s.

As far as Mossberg making accurate rifles I'm not surprised at all they have been making rifles a long time. I have a Mossberg .22 made in the 40's and is the most accurate .22 I have. It has a great trigger but I'm sure thats because back than dirt bag lawers were not running the gun business. FB

2wheelDuke
07-31-2010, 12:14 PM

I don't think they make all the barrels for Remington, but they definitely make aftermarket replacements for the 870.

When I wanted a 20" cyl barrel for my 870 express, the Mossberg with the breaching tip was the only one anybody had in stock, so I just went with that.

I have no plans for breaching doors in my off-duty time, but it does make for an intimidating looking home defense gun.

Bret4207
08-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Everyone used to make fun of Savage 110's with that goofy barrel nut. Then people started actually noticing they shot great. Same for some of the old H+R rifles that looked like they were designed by a blind chimp with a chainsaw and hatchet. Some shot great. The Remington 788 was the same way.

Like the man said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

izzyjoe
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
i have a mossberg 800a in 308, it's an accurate cheap rifle. does what i ask of it. the bolt sweeps forward instead of rearward. that makes it kinda ugly. but hey it's a truck gun.

stephen perry
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Not all 788's shoot great but most have the potential with a few changes, like all bolt rifles. No such thing as every production rifle shoots well from a manufacturer, no matter what you spend. With a 788 a new trigger and an action bedding makes the gun shoot well. And there are no factory rifles that will put 5 shots in the same small hole at 200/300. Now if you shoot a cookie cutter group where your group hole is 3/4" at 200 and if the wind blows in your favor you might manage that last shot in, not likely though. Some of guys think you can shoot through the wind every shot same hold, doesn't work that way. A good 5 shot group at 200 for a factory rifle would be 2". I have seen a few .270's that could shoot 1 1/2" groups at 200 but that's with a good marksman. I have a Winchester 70 in .338 that I will shoot at 200 this year. Now it shoots 5/8" 5 shot groups with Remington .338 ammo. I am a good marksman with 33 years of benchrest behind me.

frankenfab
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
The Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500, Howa, and Weatherby Vanguard were all made by Howa. They have a reputation for good accuracy. Don't know about other models of Mossberg rifles.

emorris
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I also have one of the mossberg atr100 in 270. It is a nice shooting gun, but the bolt is not as smooth as the rem 700s, but it is alot better than the rem 710s and newer 770s. Mine will shoot a nice clover leaf at 50yrds rested with my hand loads of 130gn hornady sst on top of hodgon 4831cs. I have researched this rifle and there was claims of the bolt seperating at the locking lugs due to poor assembliy. These allagations were on the internet and a unverified source so I dont know if it is true. I have shot hundreds of rounds through mine with no problems

Lloyd Smale
08-14-2010, 07:11 AM
I thought about doing that but ended up giving the rifle away. My buddy takes me along shooting crop damage deer and i apreciated it so much that i gave the gun to his daughter who didnt have a rifle last week.
Lloyd, Mine had a sorry trigger when I got it. I called Mossberg and fussed a bit. They told me to send it to them and they would take care of it. Yes, they did take care of it and did it well! I haven't put a scale on it since the trigger joy, but it is plenty light and no creep. Then the sent me gun back and all this was for NO CHARGE!

Bill

Heavy lead
08-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Not all 788's shoot great but most have the potential with a few changes, like all bolt rifles. No such thing as every production rifle shoots well from a manufacturer, no matter what you spend. With a 788 a new trigger and an action bedding makes the gun shoot well. And there are no factory rifles that will put 5 shots in the same small hole at 200/300. Now if you shoot a cookie cutter group where your group hole is 3/4" at 200 and if the wind blows in your favor you might manage that last shot in, not likely though. Some of guys think you can shoot through the wind every shot same hold, doesn't work that way. A good 5 shot group at 200 for a factory rifle would be 2". I have seen a few .270's that could shoot 1 1/2" groups at 200 but that's with a good marksman. I have a Winchester 70 in .338 that I will shoot at 200 this year. Now it shoots 5/8" 5 shot groups with Remington .338 ammo. I am a good marksman with 33 years of benchrest behind me.

Thanks for putting everyone in their place.
I'll keep in a secret from my factory 22-250 that she can't shoot this good though, if it's all the same to you.

NuJudge
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
I like to describe my Mossbergs as, not ugly, but just plain, maybe even homely. That being so, they work, and they're less expensive than others.

Rifles and shotguns they all shoot well and keep shooting.