PDA

View Full Version : Not using GC on bullets designed for GCs?

Explorer1
08-27-2006, 01:01 AM
I am looking at buying a 495 gr mould for my 500 S&W, but the bullet is designed for use with a gas check.

As I have a 4" version of this cannon, I will not be driving these projectiles over 1,000 fps. Factory 440 gr at 1,150 is just all I want to shoot and only token numbers of of them in a session. No reason to hot rod this cannon, and many reasons not to. Especially in the "small" versions!

Does anyone have experience running GC bullets while not using GCs? I see no problem other than ensuring I don't get lube down there.

PatMarlin
08-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Many boolits have shot well without a check.

Why not lap out the check groove and make your mold a plain base?

canon6
08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Back in the dark ages I carried and shot a 6 in 357 as a duty gun.My duty load was a RCBS 358156,I used GC's on my duty load and did not us gc;c on my practive load.I shot well for me hth Doug

44man
08-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Leaving off the gas check depends on the gun, caliber, rate of twist, boolit length and if gas leakage is a problem. Some boolits are borderline for drive length with the check off. The only way to know is to shoot them. I have shot some that shot great but others key holed at 50 yd's.

Explorer1
08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks all,

Answers lean toward what I expected, a definitely probably will work. Maybe that's good as it gives me yet another reasont to go to the range......

While I am building a stroker 383 with long rods for my project car, I had not thought of the "simple" idea of modifing the mould to make it a PB. Another case of not seeing the forest for the trees?