PDA

View Full Version : 7.65(32 Auto)

Guesser
07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I've never loaded cast in a 32 Auto but now I have a Walther PP in 32 and I cast 313249 for 32 revolver.
Wishing to hear about loading cast in 40 year old Walther PP 7.65.
Is the 313249 a little heavy? I know there is load data for it, but the law of diminishing returns takes over somewhere in everything.
Opinions bases on experience, please.

9.3X62AL
07-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I have run THOUSANDS of Lyman #313249 through over a dozen 32 ACP pistols since the early 1980s. One of my current example in this caliber is a 1965-marked Walther PP, and it runs these boolits very well and quite accurately. If you have the Lyman data, it works quite well. Remember that European factory loads run 71 grain FMJs to 900 FPS in this caliber, while USA down-loads the caliber to the point of weakness (often 725-750 FPS).

Any load giving the 85 grain casting 800-825 FPS will not hurt any well-made 32 ACP one bit. I use WW-231, Red Dot, and Unique in this caliber with these boolits, and can't say that one is better than another. My OAL varies on the pistol, .970"-.985". Magazine length isn't so much the issue, but throat depth can be quiet shallow in some pistols--and the front drive band can interfere with full feeding. If you need to shorten OAL, drop the powder weight down a bit and work back up.

GBertolet
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I load 32ACP for my HSC. I use the Lyman 311252. My bullets drop from the mold at about 75gr, and I size them to .310, as my barrel is .309. Using a heavier bullet does not hurt, but my concern is heavier bullets tend to shoot high. Your Walther sights are probably not adjustable for elevation, as most pocket pistols are not, to compensate for this. Try it, and see where you bullet prints. The factory bullet weight is 71gr, and that's what the sights are regulated for. You can have a lot of fun loading for this cartridge. When you shoot you will need a spotter or some kind of tarp to knock down the brass, as these guns eject the brass quite vigorously, and brass loss is quite high otherwise. I use Tite Group powder in my 32's, but there are many other suitable powders out there. I found that loading at, or close to the max OAL for the 32, improves feeding reliability. The 32ACP is no target round, but with my HSC, no tin can is safe at 50 feet.

gray wolf
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I also have loaded many rounds for the wife and her Beretta tom cat.
I have found the RCBS 32 auto bullet ( about 75 grains ) and very much like the 311252. works very well in her pistol I size them .312 and they are very.
15 yard accurate. We get zero leading with this bullet with WW and about
20% pure (sheet lead).
I have settled on 1.7 grains of tite group powder for her to shoot. It is a nice mild plinker and the brass stays in the same county. It functions the little gun fine and I see no use to beat up the pistol with 2.2 grains ( book max )
+ one on the tarp to help catch the brass, I hang one off the overhang at the range.
I was helped out in the beginning of my 32 auto loading by 2 very nice casting brothers.
I have no problem repaying the favor--so if you want to try some of the RCBS 32 auto bullets
just PM me and I will send you some. You can size and lube as you see fit.

Sam

Guesser
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a couple hunnert Meister brand 78 gr. that I got in a trade years ago and several hundert Remington 71 gr. FMJ/RN plus my own 313249 castings. Everyone: thanks for the advise, opinions, and offers.

wills
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I load 32ACP for my HSC. I use the Lyman 311252. My bullets drop from the mold at about 75gr, and I size them to .310, as my barrel is .309. Using a heavier bullet does not hurt, but my concern is heavier bullets tend to shoot high. Your Walther sights are probably not adjustable for elevation, as most pocket pistols are not, to compensate for this. Try it, and see where you bullet prints. The factory bullet weight is 71gr, and that's what the sights are regulated for. You can have a lot of fun loading for this cartridge. When you shoot you will need a spotter or some kind of tarp to knock down the brass, as these guns eject the brass quite vigorously, and brass loss is quite high otherwise. I use Tite Group powder in my 32's, but there are many other suitable powders out there. I found that loading at, or close to the max OAL for the 32, improves feeding reliability. The 32ACP is no target round, but with my HSC, no tin can is safe at 50 feet.

Anyone use the RCBS 32-077-RN? I have an HSC brought back from WWII, along with the dogtags of the soldier who brought it, and the papers on the pistol.

gray wolf
07-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Anyone use the RCBS 32-077-RN?

I believe that is the mold I use.

Nose Dive
07-28-2010, 08:12 PM
32's is the best secret in Reloading and casting... 32 auto..32-20..an my vavorite..32 H&R... get any ole mold in condition and get on after et...

My 32 is a 7.62 Nagant pistol, reamed to 32 H&R mag...w/ a 98 grain round nose...I think...book and mold downstairs and am going that way tommorrow... crazy ole pistol..older than me...pops like a 22..loud yea. but because of pistol design...

Might think about an ole 32-20... nice old pistol and old rifle round...

LOVE DEM 32's....

Nose Dive

Might think heavy 32 boolits..if there really is such a thang...seems in my ole revolver...heavy is good.. on grain or so off max is good... my 32 auto act like that too..

Keep your manual handy.. stay safe when casting..

It ain't fun if your hurtin'

Nose Dive