PDA

View Full Version : chamber II

XWrench3
07-28-2010, 06:12 AM
i have shot 40 rounds through my new barrel, and the one thing i noticed is that all of the brass are getting scraped as they load. there is a sharp edge on the chamber that i think needs to get at least radiused or polished a bit. i was thinking about using a high speed die grinder with fine emery cloth on a steel rod to do this, as i have no radius cut machining tools. of course i realize i will have to be very carefull doing this. is there a better way? ( i would have thought the gunsmith would have noticed this, but given the time i had getting this done, i guess it does not suprise me.)

Molly
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Give us some details. They can make a huge difference in how to go about correcting the scrapes. What caliber? What type action? Did you ask the installer to fix it? If not, why not?
How bad are the scrapes? Just scratches, or are the cases being seriously damaged?

XWrench3
07-30-2010, 08:10 PM
ok, 300 win mag. the cases are scratched in the last1/8th inch (just before the belt) at the bottom of the cases, and just after the top shoulder where they feed. the scratches on some of the shells are deeper than others. but they all get them. yes, most of the cases are used. some only once fired, some have been fired several times. at this point, i am leaning twoards emery cloth on a rod spun by a drill. i think all i need to do is radius the edge. i am NOT going to take ANYTHING back to that gunsmith. he ruined the first barrel (brand new take off) i suppied (reamed the chamber out of round), and this one is on, but the lettering is on the top of the barrel instead of the side where they belong. he did not want to take a chance on ruining the second barrel so basicly he screwed it on, and left it where it was. i guess it is headspaced correctly. nothing has blown up, and all the shells chamber.

looseprojectile
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
with your choice of a larger dowell cut on a 45 degree angle and medium to fine grinding compound or a smaller dowell with a saw cut and fine emery cloth.
In my experience you will run out of patience and have the job done long before you can polish enough material out to ruin it. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.
Sounds like the sharpness [cutting edge] is at the extreme back edge of the chamber.
Good luck!

Life is good

looseprojectile
07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Sharpness may be at the front of the belt.
Just polish it a little.

Life is good

leftiye
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Second that! Screw a case onto a rod, and either wrap with fine (400 to 600 grit) sandpaper or just use clover compound or JB lap on the case (you can polish whole chamber this way). DON'T GET TOO CRAZY! With sandpaper, all you need is to turn by hand.

badgeredd
07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
One simple and easy way to radius/chamfer the edge of the chamber is to use a wooden dowel large enough to fit inside the action but not into the chamber. Bevel the end at about 45 degrees and slot it to hold a piece of very fine emery and turn it by HAND checking your progress often. It really won't take very long to break the sharpness off of the edge of the chamber. Problem with using a power tool is one can go too far very quickly so I suggest you take the slow and easy approach. You really should have the head-space checked by a COMPETENT gunsmith, since it sounds like your gunsmith isn't really a competent individual. Good luck.

Edd

XWrench3
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
badgeredd, i like your idea, and i am heading off to the hardware now to get a large dowel. this seems like an easy and good way to do this without getting carried away, and going to far.

XWrench3
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
well, it has been a while, but it seems like forever since i have had time to shoot. FINALY got the kids back in school, and had a cahnce to shoot this beast. it works great! not a single scratch or difficult to extract cartridge in the bunch. i used an oak dowel, with 280 grit clover compound on it. i have no idea how it looks up in there, you really can not see it very well, but it sure works great! thanks for everyones help!