PDA

View Full Version : Range Report - TLC432-285-RF

LET-CA
08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Shot my first few rounds of this new bullet today. Loaded them up over 21 grains of H110. Using my alloy, they were weighing in just over 271 grains (checked and lubed). Shooting my Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum, I loaded them up over 21 grains of H110, using Winchester primers and Winchester brass. I was shooting open sights, a Williams FP receiver sight. I shot 20 rounds. The first was a little high and then with no adjustments. they fell right into place. Photo attached. This is a load I'll keep around. :castmine:

http://www.lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/2189.jpg

the_mad_rshn
08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Wow, dude. Its an awesome group. What distance? Thank you so much sir. Shows again that I need GC my bullets.

Cheers,
Mad

PatMarlin
08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Nice shootin' LC.. :drinks:

They closed the 50 yard target at Coloma didn't they?

At least they had the last time I was there which has been bout 4 years. Don't know why the idiots did that. They closed the 25 at the pistol range too. Only 15.. :roll:

I liked that range years back. They used to rent handguns, but I don't know if they do now. Couple guys rented a gun, went online at the range and shot themselves in the head.

steveb
08-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Good Shooting:d

drinks
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Let-ca;
The first shot would seem to be "First bullet syndrome", I have 2 rifles that put the first one from a clean barrel at least 2" out.

LET-CA
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I liked that range years back. They used to rent handguns, but I don't know if they do now. Couple guys rented a gun, went online at the range and shot themselves in the head.

It's happened twice in the last year at one of the local ranges. Rented handguns. Fortunately the media didn't make a big story out of it. (Surprising since California media isn't always too friendly towards firearms. I spoke with one of the employees a few weeks ago who was there. It was a real unhappy experience for him. All the more sad becuase you usually encounter the nicest people at the range.

Ranch Dog
08-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Great shooting Lenny, is that the rifle you are going to hunt my hogs with?

LET-CA
08-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Great shooting Lenny, is that the rifle you are going to hunt my hogs with?

No, a fine Texas hog deserves nothing less than a bullet delivered by a 444. The TLC432-285-RF is a wonderful message, and should be sent on its journey with a proper send-off. (When you care enough to send the very best. . . )

The only other firearm I'd seriously consider is one I was able to test last December at Fort Hood. A group of us were testing a device that mounts on a 50 caliber machine gun. At the conclusion of our tests, the fellow manning the gun looked up at me and asked if I'd like to shoot. I about jumped out of my shoes as I got in behind the trigger. The thing that most impressed me was that the M2's design, like many of our lever-actions has remain unchanged for decades. This one had been built by General Motors under contract to the government. (I checked the current Chevy truck catalog and they don't offer it as an option.)

The posted target is from one of two 44 Magnums I purchased that will be passed to my grandsons in a few years. I picked up two Winchester Trappers with consecutive serial numbers shortly after the shutdown. They'll both get a fair amount of lead through their barrels and then given to the boys when they get to an appropriate age with a good supply of grandpa's home brewed bullets.

:Fire:

Poohgyrr
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
:drinks:

Nice!!! I happen to have those componants sitting on the shelf!! I wanted to ask where you shot, Sac Valley??

That is a nice group...

LET-CA
08-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Cast another group of bullets last night with the "new" mould. Used a mixture rich in linotype and all bullets dropped out at .434. With gas checks they're weighing in at 264-265 grains. I made 175 in the short time I had, wll make a bunch more tonight to finish out the 22 lbs of lead in the pot. I found that it's easy to get ahead of the mould if I dont' quench the top on a wet rag before cutting the sprues. I ended up with a real mess a couple of times.

Also found that if I let the last group of bullets sit in the mould for several minutes before removing them that they come out so shiny that they look like they've been polished.