PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a companion revolver.

housedad
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, I've been thinking of getting myself a brace of revolvers to go along with my 2 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

I'm kinda torn between 44 mag or 45 long colt.

I already have 2 1894's in 38/357 and a bunch of 357's to choose from. I kinda prefer my 2 686's to go with them, though.

Any suggestions on caliber?

As far as to what guns, I prefer S&W, But I will consider single actions. I haven't dealt a lot with single actions especially in large calibers, so that is where I am at a disadvantage in knowledge.

Thanks

HeavyMetal
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Think I'd look for an old school, nickeled, 4 inch model 29. Light enough to carry easy potent enough to deal with the unusual, should it raise it's ugly head.

Not nearly as popular as the "newer" stuff and or 6 inch guns so you might get a deal on one.

sourdough44
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Now what would be the use?? range?,woods carry?,hunting? protection of some type?? With a lot of walking weight can be a real issue. Maybe you don't need full power 44 or 45 colt loads? Maybe you do. I was just out with my S&W Model 60 357 in a 3" barrel. For woods carry where real worries are few it sure is a nice gun. I also have a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt that runs the gamut from light 45 colt & schofield loads to full power 'Ruger only' loads. This Redhawk is a little on the heavy side if you don't need the power though. A 4" mid weight 357 would do too, depending.

S.R.Custom
07-26-2010, 09:46 PM
By "companion" piece, do you mean one that will be carried in the field simultaneously with the rifle? If so, I'd recommend a Ruger Single Six in either .22 or .32 H&R...

When out woods loafing, I like to mix my calibers. If I'm carrying a .22 rimfire rifle, the gun on my hip more than likely is a .44 of some kind. Conversely, if the rifle is a big one, a small rimfire handgun is the perfect companion.

Combat Diver
07-27-2010, 03:02 AM
For an odd ball .35 Rem caliber you need a brace of .41 Mag revolvers! Look at the Smith 57s or Ruger Blackhawks.

exile
07-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Lipsey's has a new .357 Mountain Gun out (see Gunblast review). I have the .44 Mountain Gun and like it very much, I imagine the .357 would be nice too. Yes, it has the lock, but it doesn't bother me too much.

exile

missionary5155
07-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Good morning
Bigger holes are always better.
The .45 will do everything a .43 (real .44 diameter ) can plus everything a .43 cannot.

9.3X62AL
07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Lotta sense in SR Custom's view. I'm an unabashedly enthusiastic fan of 32 caliber revolvers, so my prejudices might figure into the mix. More than a little!

One small revolver that has really impressed me lately has been on board for about a year and a half. It's a little Colt Police Positive x 4" in 38 S&W. Stoked with Lyman #358477, it shoots right to the sights at 25 yards when run to 725 FPS, and settles the hash of short-range varmints in no uncertain terms. I nailed a jackrabbit with it a couple mornings back, about 40 yards off the muzzle--BANG/flop. It has become my companion revolver with the 223 bolter or self-loader, and quite the "Kit Gun".

Both the 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W are very economical to run in terms of components cost. Same story for the 32 Magnum or 327 Federal, once cases are located.

Dale53
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I am getting a bit "old in the tooth" for bird hunting in the hills of Eastern Ohio where I used to "hang out". However, I always carried a handgun with my o/u shotgun. I wore the handgun cross draw so I wouldn't mar the stock on the shotgun.

I used various revolvers. They were VERY handy for dispatching the odd cottontail (or in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan it would be snowshoe hares). One of my absolute favorites is the 3" Chief's Special Target. It is so compact and light that you hardly know it's there until needed. Surprisingly, while only a 3" barrel, the dbl underlugged barrel holds VERY well and I can shoot the combination well enough to "wow the locals":

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0242.jpg

I often used target wadcutters (my cast H&G #251 dbl ended w/c's). They worked very well on edible small game including the odd wounded grouse. My family MUCH preferred a rabbit with only one hole. It a grouse was knocked down with a broken wing, a head shot brought it to bag without further meat damage.

Like Al, I am a big fan of .32's. My S&W 631 in .32 Magnum was often used as a back up to the shotgun. I most often loaded .32 S&W Long cases with a target load (either a 100 gr SWC or a Hornady swaged HBWC worked VERY well on edible small game):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0330.jpg

I have a S&W "Kit Gun" in .22 rimfire but MUCH prefer the centerfires for edible small game. .22 rimfires lack stopping power from a revolver. I have never had to shoot a small game animal twice with the .32's or .38's (or even the .44 Special which I have used a good deal). If you pick your shots there will be no meat damage (on rabbits, head shots if they are close and "through the slats" if they are at 25 yards or so).

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

ole 5 hole group
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I’ll add a nickel’s worth here – unless you wear/carry ear protection give the muzzle report a little consideration. If the reason for carry is more for protection, then I subscribe to the bigger is better camp and like the 45 Colt in a small/light weight package – you’ll probably never have to use it, so the muzzle report isn’t a concern. If the revolver is just for “plinking” or shooting when you don’t want to use the rifle, then the 32 Mag/327 Fed with reduced loads or the 22LR will not damage your hearing as much in later years and for most, it’s not uncomfortable shooting. Touching off the big boys without plugs isn’t real smart or enjoyable.

This is a nice 25-2 converted to 45 Colt.

Changeling
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Now Dale, if you pick your shots with a .22 as you say with a .32/.38/.44 you don't have any need for a second shot either. Also you haven't alerted everything within a mile that "MAN is HERE".

I shoot a Mark1 .22 darn near daily on groundhogs. When you "POP" them in the head they have this crazy habit of stopping right there! I figure they are in some sort of " There heaven" with a whole bunch of vestal virgins, maybe even 70 are more (babe groundhogs) so I figure it worked OK (the .22).

S.R. Cusom has it right! There is no way to argue with his analogy.

housedad
07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the GREAT replies, folks!

The concept is to have a rifle/handgun combination for protection when camping/packing in northern PA, New York, and points north. Nailing a rabbit for dinner once in a while would be nice.

I'm more concerned with the occasional coyote, coyote/wolf, and bear. Not as worried about two legged predators, but it needs to be capable. I guess that is why I'm thinking of a larger caliber revolver. Heck, I'm even considering, my 1911's!!(not really)

Now, I know that I am undergunned with the 35 Rem for the critters that are out west, but I'm not going there anytime soon. Besides, I've got other rifles to carry if I ever go out there.

I wonder if I should just go with a 357 mag, like my model 66's, and carry 158 gr 357 loads along with 125 grain 38 loads. Even some shot loads. Maybe even consider my 6 inch model 686's.

still considering....

The concept of carrying one heavy caliber and one small caliber is interesting.

housedad
07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
BTW how is something like the 45LC with a light load on small game? Is there anything left to eat?

Dale53
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
housedad;
I have taken several cotton tails and snow shoe rabbits with a .44 Special. I only take head shots (if they are close) or "through the slats" if they are farther away (say 25 yards or so). My carry load for the .44 Special is Skeeter's load (250 gr Keith ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique for right at 950 fps). Of course, that is much heavier than need be for small game but can be quite useful for feral dogs, etc. It just makes a 3/4" hole straight through and you can eat the edges of the hole. Shot placement is everything. You do NOT want to shoot them through the shoulders (that's where half the good meat is).

I use the same shot placement whether I am using a .32 Keith bullet or a .44 Special. It all works just fine.

My results with .22 revolvers has not been satisfactory. If I use hollow points they can damage too much meat, if solid points, then a body shot will often result in a lost animal. I have had some decent results with flat pointing the solid bullets (with a Paco Kelly Accurizer Tool:

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

However, that is kind of a pain in the tuckus to use. On the other hand you only need a hand full for actual game use.

In general, tho', I much prefer the centerfires. Just a personal thing, I guess.

My grandfather was a farmer. He walked his farm nearly every day. He was jumped by a pack of feral dogs. These can be VERY dangerous. However, he had his Colt Banker's Special (a short barreled .22 Rimfire revolver with target sights on a Dectective Special frame). When he was finished, the pack was seriously diminished and they stayed clear of him after that.

However, I still subscribe to the idea that a centerfire revolver works best and my actual use of both has reinforced my preference.

FWIW
Dale53

JSH
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I would throw this at you, how about a 35 remington in a pistol (TC). Have it turned at the breach for a 303 or 30-40 rim diameter. I would bet money it wwill shot as good as any rifle.
The one I have has had 120's-210's ran through it, PB and GC'd with good to excellent results. FYI, these barrels can be had for cheap as they have a bad rep for misfires because of the shoulder design.
PM me if you are interested.
jeff

Catshooter
07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
As to the small game with a large bore question, I can attest that a hard 200 H&G 68 (semi-wadcutter) at just over 1000 fps will poke a finger sized hole through small, light bodied game.

Like say, a cat. Like seventeen or eighteen of 'em.

Just sayin' . . .

Cat

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2010, 05:43 AM
in not a big fan of the 357 but for a companion gun to a 35 rem what could be better. You can buy bullets in bulk and use them in the 357 and use the pistol bullets in the 35 too. Same goes with your cast bullets.

Bass Ackward
07-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Small pistol primers was also the only primer available here on and off when this last shortage was upon us. And free WW are getting hard to find here. It was nice to have ..... options.

If you actually want a companion gun, then that means that it has to be with you. If that handgun weights 6.5 lbs and your rifle weights 6.5, then there is a good chance that your subconscious is going to allow you to forget it. Some companion.

I'd go either 22LR or 357. Lloyd's recommendation for bulk bullet use has merit as well. The 357 is economical compared to the larger diameters and still is an AT&T caliber if you have to reach out and touch something.

Larry Gibson
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
housedad

The concept is to have a rifle/handgun combination for protection when camping/packing in northern PA, New York, and points north. Nailing a rabbit for dinner once in a while would be nice.......I'm more concerned with the occasional coyote, coyote/wolf, and bear. Not as worried about two legged predators, but it needs to be capable. I guess that is why I'm thinking of a larger caliber revolver. Heck, I'm even considering, my 1911's!!(not really) Your criteria isn't much different than the need for personal protection anywhere with the exception of "bear". Thus the smaller cartridges up through .38 Special are somewhat ruled out. If you want something of .44 or .45 persuasion then I would suggest the .44. Yes the .45 can be loaded to pretty much equal the .44 in a suitable revolver but if traveling the availability of commercial ammo should be considered. Quality .44 Magnum ammo is going to be much more available than high end performance .45 ammo. That is why I have 3 .44 Magnum revolers and no heavy duty .45 revolver. It's nice to think we will always have our own reloads withus when traveling but it does not always work out that way, been there, done that and got the T shirt. Also, I wouldn't necessarily scoff at the idea of using the M1911 (carried a Colt Combat Commander many a times when afield in black bear country) or even factory .45 Colt loads but the word "bear" brings out those who think only a cannon will do. That's their opinion and I respect that but in this case you will be carrying a .35 Remington rifle and it should be your first option if confronting a bear.

Now, I know that I am undergunned with the 35 Rem for the critters that are out west, but I'm not going there anytime soon. Besides, I've got other rifles to carry if I ever go out there. I live about as far "West" as anyone on these lower 48. I have a .35 Remington and don't feel a bit undergunned with it. I lived and hunted (still do) in the land of open prarie, sage brush, big canyons and what is always considered a place where long range shooting is the norm. It is not. I have killed many deer, elk and a couple bear "out West" and probably 99% of them were under 200 yards with most under 100 yards. With rare exception I could have killed them all with my M94 30-30 instead of the other higher end bolt action rifles used. Actually I did kill quite a few deer, several hogs and a couple elk on license with the M94 30-30. Within the last several years I've taken to the .35 Rem with the RCBS 35-200-FN cast of 50/50 WW/lead at 2150 fps as an excellent and deadly cartridge out to at least 200 yard for deer and elk and probably black bears. I in no way feel under gunned. I simply adjust my hunting style to fit within it's parmeters.

I wonder if I should just go with a 357 mag, like my model 66's, and carry 158 gr 357 loads along with 125 grain 38 loads. Even some shot loads. Maybe even consider my 6 inch model 686's. I would not hesitate to consider the .357 in your M686. There is nothing wrong with it for your needs. I often carry a Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel as my back up or trail gun. I've actually had more worry about the 2 legged miscreatns in the woods than with black bears. The DA .357 revolver is quite capable of detering either. It also is excellent for the "occasional rabbit" with mild .38 Special WC loads.

All are my opinions based on my experiences and choices. Others vary. You must make your own choice based on your needs and abilities in whatever circumstance you may find yourself. Keep that in mind.

Larry Gibson

Changeling
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
This is funny to me!

One wants a "companion" sidearm to the rifle he is carrying evidently in terrain/area of state he is familiar with. So some of you guys want him to carry a rifle that is of adequate caliber for his hunting and for the backup a revolver that is capable of the same persuasion!
Well if a nasty bear appears do you shoot him with the rifle you're hunting with, or the handgun, big decision here!

Witch one would you guys use?

Then there is the other scenario, you can shoot a rabbit/squirrel in the head with a 32 (Great caliber) and it will kill better than a .22 fp through the head ! A head shot with penetration will stop any small animal dam near in its tracks unless it's "skidding" from instant death! We're talking, Rabbits,squirrels,groundhogs,all foul, including fox (yes, I have with .22).
I wouldn't want to shoot a "Big" coyote/wolf are larger game with the .22 ( pistol )thats just me) but thousands have been killed with the .22. A lot of cougar hunters swear by the 22 auto pistols and of course they use head shots when they are treed if possible!

Now we come to recoil, if you can shoot a center fire revolver/pistol better than a good .22, "Hats Off", and if you don't think the noise make a difference, thats fine "for you".
OH, almost forgot, ,22's do more damage than CF, quit smoking that stuff dude, it's starting to screw up your mind, LOLAL!

I could go on and on about bullet weights/ revolver weights, whatever.

Bottom line I have done this all my life! Dam, just stop an think!!

Dale53
07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Changeling;
I stand by my comments. .22's with solid round noses don't kill well out of a rifle much less out of a revolver with much less velocity. Of course, they kill well with a brain shot but unless they are close, it's a body shot or nothing. When used with a hollow point, particularly in a rifle they kill well at reasonable ranges but they DO tear up meat.

I gave up the .22 rimfire after years of trying to make it work on edible small game. It's just flat marginal for that use (when squirrels did not present a head shot, I took a body shot and often lost them - no hunter wants to have that happen - it's not humane). My squirrel rifle has been a 25/20 for many years. It WORKS.

Handguns are slow velocity performers, in general. However, any centerfire from .32 on up and including the .44's have proven to me to do great work on edible small game if you can shoot. I can and pick my shot. That means, as I clearly stated above, a head shot or "through the slats". There is no meat loss with either.

>>>Bottom line I have done this all my life! <<<

Really? Your comments seem to show a singular lack of experience, but Hey! that's just me.

FWIW
Dale53

housedad
07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the input folks.

It seems that I have pretty much what I need in my M66, or my M686. Carry some 357 mag loads, and some light 38 cast wadcutters or semiwads for the small critters.

The pistol is for some hunting, yes, but I alo want it to be able to be backup protection. Even though I like the idea of having a 22 along, I don't think it would work as a 'for sure' backup. That is, say I left my rifle at the camp, and i run into a coyote or ferel dog away from camp. I want that handgun to be able to do it without uestions.

However, I do have one less than perfect option, especially since I am not the worlds best shot with a revolver. I have a couple of Henry AR-7's laying around. They don't take up TOO much weight., at 2.3 lbs. It might be a option to strap it on the backpack. it would make it easier for the longer shots on small game.

Changeling
07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Changeling;
I stand by my comments. .22's with solid round noses don't kill well out of a rifle much less out of a revolver with much less velocity. Of course, they kill well with a brain shot but unless they are close, it's a body shot or nothing. When used with a hollow point, particularly in a rifle they kill well at reasonable ranges but they DO tear up meat.

I gave up the .22 rimfire after years of trying to make it work on edible small game. It's just flat marginal for that use (when squirrels did not present a head shot, I took a body shot and often lost them - no hunter wants to have that happen - it's not humane). My squirrel rifle has been a 25/20 for many years. It WORKS.

Handguns are slow velocity performers, in general. However, any centerfire from .32 on up and including the .44's have proven to me to do great work on edible small game if you can shoot. I can and pick my shot. That means, as I clearly stated above, a head shot or "through the slats". There is no meat loss with either.

>>>Bottom line I have done this all my life! <<<

Really? Your comments seem to show a singular lack of experience, but Hey! that's just me.

FWIW
Dale53

It's easy to slide things over and around in your favor when you talk about HV hollow points and then in the next breath talk about .22 solids. Your intention is to tilt things your way regardless, I don't buy that!

Have you ever heard of .22 flat points, absolutely awesome! Good penetration, excellent accuracy and for small game about the most ideal bullet I have ever seen for accuracy, non-destructive killing power, way cheaper than your CF bullet reloading and nonexistent recoil ! Now that is reality!!

Oh, and BTW, .22 hollow points do NOT do the damage you indicate ! But first I should say that we are talking about normal velocity .22 HP's and fp's for that matter, not the Hyper velocity stuff, just wouldn't want you to get confused and bring that up . Unless of course you want to add loading your stuff HOT!

As for game that is not close (you didn't mention distance) and one has to shoot for the mid body, the 32 will do just damage as a .22 on a rabbit for instance. I would bet the .22 would do less and kill better. I have shot thousands of rabbits, squirrels, Foul, fox's with .22 hp's, FP's, and solids. Never a problem.
Correction, there has been a problem, people that don't know what they are talking about when referencing .22 ammo, but go by what is written by gun scribes that do most of there shooting in a magazine.

9.3X62AL
07-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I composed a scathing response, but what's the point? The IGNORE function will suffice. The second such award in as many weeks, after 14 years without its need. Maybe I'm getting old and less tolerant. Dunno.

NickSS
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Personally I generally carry a hand gun when out in the woods but only carry a rifle when I am hunting. I am one of the people who believe that a hand gun is for emergency use and sometimes for recreational plinking and occationally for shooting small game. When woods walking or camping I generally carry either a 357 mag six inch security Six that I have had for years or a 3 inch sp101 357 mag and even more often a 44 cal cap and ball remington replica revolver. I have shot small game with all of them as well as a couple of coyotes. As far as bear is concerned I have been all over this country including Alaska and have only seen half a dozen bears out in the wild in over 50 years of woods walking. None posed any threat to me (though one was killed by a buddy of mine who had a bear tag and wanted to fill it). Now if I were going into an area where Grizzly bear or Kodiak bear was possible to run into you can bet your life I would be carrying a potent rifle while in that area. I watch a buddy kill a Kodiak bear with a 50 cal flintlock rifle. He had to shoot it twice and I am convinced that if he did not hit it in the neck and broke its spine on the last shot I would have had to finish it with my 338 Mag I was backing him up with. As for black bear that you will see back east the only time they are dangerous is when a sow is protecting her cubs or thinks she is. The rest of the time they will run away faster than you can run the other way.

dualsport
07-30-2010, 02:37 AM
My 2 cents, first, no need to be rude here, we can disagree without being insulting, dude. That said, I agree with the recommendation of a J-frame S&W M60, 3" adjustable sights. Very versatile, from mouse to fire breathin' dragon loads, and very easy to pack. I've been out in the woods a time or two myself and know that a full size revolver gets heavy after a while. When you're alone out there and it gets dark before you get back to camp or you get stuck out in the wilderness for the night it's comforting to have something with a little more spunk than a .22 rimfire for a backup. That's just me. I don't pot small game when I'm big game hunting.

Changeling
07-30-2010, 06:00 PM
My 2 cents, first, no need to be rude here, we can disagree without being insulting, dude. That said, I agree with the recommendation of a J-frame S&W M60, 3" adjustable sights. Very versatile, from mouse to fire breathin' dragon loads, and very easy to pack. I've been out in the woods a time or two myself and know that a full size revolver gets heavy after a while. When you're alone out there and it gets dark before you get back to camp or you get stuck out in the wilderness for the night it's comforting to have something with a little more spunk than a .22 rimfire for a backup. That's just me. I don't pot small game when I'm big game hunting.

Try reading the original Post . We are talking (Not arguing) about a companion revolver as a compliment to a "Capable" hunting rifle and why.
Now if you get scared in the dark and a 30-06 to a 458 rifle doesn't calm those fears, are you telling me you are going to reach for a .32 caliber revolver?
Well, maybe you would! However unless I was in total shock by something life threating like an enormous grizzly, panther, giant HOG, X WIFE, I am pretty sure I would go for the "COMPANION" Rifle, and start going Bang, Bang, Bang, I think that would do it!
Then in the morning I would BANG (small bang) a rabbit,squirrel grouse, whatever, eat great, snooze, and even feel better.

I use the 30-06 to 458 because there are those that use that caliber rifle in areas of large bears/Elk/Raptors/Dinosaurs, etc, your fear level may very!
\

dualsport
07-31-2010, 02:06 AM
Who me? Hey, how did you know? It's true, being out in cougar country where people have actually been eaten makes me, well, let's just call it nervous. Wasn't always like that, I used to be fearless. Then I had a midnight visitor in the Granite Chief Wilderness not too far from Tahoe. I aint been right since. I swore that night I'd go to church every Sunday from then on if only He'd keep me outta that big cats belly. (I haven't kept my promise. Come'on, how many of you have made 'deals' when you're scared and then not held up your end?) I swore that night I'd never go back 'out there' without a 12 ga. pump. I've recomposed myself a little and just carry two guns, a rifle, often a muzzleloader, and my handy M60 .357. Call me paranoid, you'd be right. I know it's irrational, but I always think it'll be me that's in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's why I'm giving up abalone diving too, besides getting old and soft. A guy got his head bit off right where I go ab diving. I just don't want to end up a turd. When cats attack people they almost always jump on from behind without much warning. A rifle won't be ideal in that predicament. Even a .22 pistol would help though. If I had any friends to go with me into the wilderness I'd probably be less nervous. Oh, when I do pot me a nice fat squirrel when deer/bear hunting I use a wrist rocket. Silent but deadly as heck.

MT Gianni
07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Dualsport, The wildlife Biologist my wife works with says a cougar will grab you by the shoulders and bite, then twist your neck. his training is to slap it if you are grabbed by the shoulders as nothing else in nature it attacks can do that. The cl;aim is the cat will immediately back off. SO far no volunteers but its nice to know.

dualsport
08-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I have a friend in Nevada who lives in an area so infested with the cats they've started wearing a daypack with a GI folding shovel sticking up in back to cover their necks! Geez, reminds me of those Indian woodcutters who wear masks on the back of their heads to confuse the tigers.

Changeling
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Dualsport, The wildlife Biologist my wife works with says a cougar will grab you by the shoulders and bite, then twist your neck. his training is to slap it if you are grabbed by the shoulders as nothing else in nature it attacks can do that. The cl;aim is the cat will immediately back off. SO far no volunteers but its nice to know.

NO, no, no, no Gianni, you're getting confused again, that is the Xwife that does that, and she doesn't let go till the Judge says " and I declare that this poor maligned princess gets the total contents of the GOLD mine, bank holdings, land grants, furniture, his clothing, firearms, fishing equipment, responsibility for ALL bills and Loans, etc,.
However I am a judge and an honest man, so I declare that the SOB "Changeling" shall have sole custody of the TV, chair, and I will even through in the hassock:Fire:

home in oz
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
You may want to check the legality of what caliber hand gun can be carried with a rifle when hunting. Some states have strange laws.

Me, I carry a 44 MAG when deer hunting.

dualsport
08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I am a fan of Thoreau especially when it comes to civil disobediance. Another more popular mentality is "better judged by twelve....".

MakeMineA10mm
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the input folks.

It seems that I have pretty much what I need in my M66, or my M686. Carry some 357 mag loads, and some light 38 cast wadcutters or semiwads for the small critters.

The pistol is for some hunting, yes, but I alo want it to be able to be backup protection. Even though I like the idea of having a 22 along, I don't think it would work as a 'for sure' backup. That is, say I left my rifle at the camp, and i run into a coyote or ferel dog away from camp. I want that handgun to be able to do it without uestions.

However, I do have one less than perfect option, especially since I am not the worlds best shot with a revolver. I have a couple of Henry AR-7's laying around. They don't take up TOO much weight., at 2.3 lbs. It might be a option to strap it on the backpack. it would make it easier for the longer shots on small game.

Housedad, just to help out with your confidence in this choice, I think its perfect. First, I'd choose the 66. Lighter weight, adjustable sights, and flexibly powerful caliber. Ideal for a field gun in the northeast. Also you can get a Safariland Comp II speedloader or two and stoke them with both types of loads so you can switch to what you need at a moments notice.

For the loads themselves, I'd go with two, a heavy penetrating power load, and a target/small-game load.

For the target/small-game load I'd load wadcutters in 357 mag brass with 3.5 - 4.0 grs of fast shotgun/pistol powder, like W231, RedDot, or Bullseye. 357 brass tends to give more accurate loads and prevents leading, erosion, or dirtiness from building up in the space between where 38 brass ends and the throat (not usually a huge deal but obviates the concern or necessity for cleaning the revolver in the field).

For the "bear load" I'd go with the 173gr Keith bullet as minimum, but for this application, I like a 180-200gr LBT LFN better. This is because of the speedloaders. A RNFP design is going to feed better in a speedloader set-up than a SWC, by far. Since the meplat does the work and use of this load will be short-range, there's no sacrifice by leaving the Keith design. Use whatever "full-power" slow pistol powder you like (2400, H110, W296, etc.). Myself, I'm partiall to AA9, but there are many good choices.