PDA

View Full Version : Is this Pure Lead?

Surge223
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/surge223/017.jpg

I am only getting started in casting so I don't know what this is. A guy says it's pure lead. It's a 12" square sheet. Bends very easily.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/surge223/018.jpg

Can anyone give me any info on this stuff? How do I know it's lead? What was this used for?

He says he has a lot of it, what should I offer for it?

Thanks all.

lwknight
07-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Looks like roofing lead and it also looks like it probably is pure lead.
Roofing lead id pure lead. So most likely its pure lead.

a.squibload
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Someone here (Sagacious?) recently suggested that although soft, sheet lead is not necessarily pure.
Should be good stuff though. Haven't melted any yet, might have to cast a few to see how it turns out.
That looks like what I got only not as thick.
I haven't checked lead prices, when I got my sheet lead a month or more ago I paid 75¢/lb,
it was scrap at an army surplus store.
They gave me the bucket.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Should be close enough.

Sam :D

gray wolf
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
What's up with the big X in the middle ?
Is that from some kind of radiation shielding ?

Small hardware store in town wants $2.59 a pound for sheet roofing lead. He can keep it
I just bought a 35 pound roll unused for 50 cents a pound from my friend.

Surge223
07-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I have no idea about the big "X". Guy brought in about 6 pieces to show me and they all have an "X" on them. Doesn't look like spray paint.

edsmith
07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
thats pirate lead, they used them to marke the spot. (treasure) and thats the truth. don't listen to those who say I am the worlds biggest liar.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Probably Glue residue, I have had some that looked like that, Some had silicon left on them.

Sam :D

gray wolf
07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Looks like it's been blasted with sum dem gamma ray's er sumin, and got iradiated.

SPOOKY

Hickory
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
thats pirate lead, they used them to marke the spot. (treasure) and thats the truth.

So, what's under the X? More lead?
That would be a treasure!

sagacious
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Someone here (Sagacious?) recently suggested that although soft, sheet lead is not necessarily pure.
Should be good stuff though. Haven't melted any yet, might have to cast a few to see how it turns out.
That looks like what I got only not as thick.
I haven't checked lead prices, when I got my sheet lead a month or more ago I paid 75¢/lb,
it was scrap at an army surplus store.
They gave me the bucket.
That's correct. Lead that is dead soft after it's been rolled may not be dead soft after it's melted and cast into ingots/bullets. Lead sheet/pipe can contain a percent or two of antimony. If one really needs dead-soft pure lead, lead sheet/pipe/extrusions must be hardness verified after melting and recasting into ingots and aged for a few weeks. Good luck.

Surge223
07-26-2010, 11:05 PM
OK, I'm going to try and buy this stuff. Should know how much he has soon.

Going to offer .50 a pound to start.

Thanks for the help.