PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days???!!

school of mines
07-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I was all pumped up to try out some loads in my H&R 38-55, an 1884 Trapdoor, and a TC Encore in .308 Win. But did you ever have one of the range days where you wonder if it was worth it? This was one of the days. The 38-55 keyholed every other round due to excess crimp with a LEE factory crimp die. I must have distorted the boolits while crimping, since normally the loads with 5744 shoot pretty good. So I got the Encore out to see what it would do at 200 yards, and the crosshairs in my scope broke on the second shot! Unbelievable! The scope was a Leupold, so I sent it back for repair when I got home. Hopefully I get it back before hunting season?!! The only bright spot was the trapdoor. I was shooting at 200 yards with 457125 and 457132 BP loads. Managed to get the Buffington sight dialed in. But after 30 rounds, my shoulder had had it!!

So to comfort myself I went to a local gun dealer and brought a sporterized 1903 springfield home! Funny how you can always justify another rifle!

Have a Good One!:razz:

Buckshot
07-30-2010, 12:53 AM
................Yup I've had days like that, and some without any positive results at all :-)

..............Buckshot

Bad Ass Wallace
07-30-2010, 05:34 AM
You shot the Springfield, went to the gunshop, bought a new rifle, had a great day away from the wife . . . don't be hard on yourself[smilie=p:[smilie=p:

StrawHat
07-30-2010, 09:07 AM
You shot the Springfield, went to the gunshop, bought a new rifle, had a great day away from the wife . . . don't be hard on yourself[smilie=p:[smilie=p:

And you got the Trapdoor dialed in at 200. So if the Leuopold doesn't get back before the fall, you have a hunting rifle ready to go!

school of mines
07-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I appreciate all the support! After all the effort you go through to develop loads, some days they just don't work out!

Thanks for letting me share a little frustration!

dragonrider
07-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah have had days like that