PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaners

Alan in WI
07-26-2010, 07:57 AM
I have read that some of you guys use ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning brass. What are you adding to the water for cleaning? Does the brass come out clean and polished looking, or do you still need to tumble to finish up?

Thanks,

Alan

Cowboy T
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I tried a solution called Micro-90, at the suggestion of someone on another forum. It got the brass pretty clean after two cycles, but you have to keep the temperature up (about 120 deg. F.). When it was done, it left shiny, whitish spots on the brass. This was during the ultrasonic cleaning process, not afterwards. I don't know if the brass got weakened at all by this action.

Personally, I wouldn't use it for cleaning brass. I'd use the tried 'n' true tumble method.

On the other hand, if you have a STAINLESS STEEL (i. e. not blued) revolver, and you want to get that carbon residue off of the front of the cylinder, then ultrasonic cleaning with hot Micro-90 solution is the way to go. Your gun will look just about like brand new. Just remember to rinse it very well afterwards, several times, with first warm water, then spray WD-40 into all the nooks and crannies to displace the remaining water/Micro-90 out (especially where the extractor goes in and out), and then oil it with Hoppe's or Rem Oil as normal.

DO NOT use Micro-90 on a blued gun, as the solution will take the bluing right off.

Daywalker
07-28-2010, 06:24 PM
You can go to walmart, in the dishwashing section, grab you a bottle of LemiShine, add about a tablespoon of it to your warm or hotwater in the ultrasonic cleaner and run it. May take a couple cycles, but gets them pretty dang clean.

jsizemore
07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Go to www.6mmbr.com and search for ultrasonic case cleaning. There's an article with 2 recipes for cleaning. I use 16 oz mason jars set in the ultrasonic cleaner. Much easier to clean the jar then the cleaner. 50% distilled white vinegar, 50% water and a couple drops dishwashing soap. Neutralize the vinegar (acetic acid) with baking soda or birchwood casey case cleaning concentrate. A couple more baths with water and they come out shiny inside and out. Read the article on 6mmbr and learn the steps. Works great.

montana_charlie
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I use 16 oz mason jars set in the ultrasonic cleaner. Much easier to clean the jar then the cleaner..
That method is called indirect cleaning, but you're doing it wrong.

The container which holds your cleaning solution and item(s) to be cleaned is supposed to be held in a rack which rests on the top edge of the cleaner...and lets the 'jar' protrude downward into the tank.

Then, the tank is filled with plain water to transfer the vibraton to the 'jar'.

When you place a heavy object (like your mason jar full of liquid) directly on the bottom of the tank it causes the transducer to beat itself to death.

The damage is imperceptible (at first), cumulative, and permanent.

CM

jsizemore
07-28-2010, 11:45 PM
That method is called indirect cleaning, but you're doing it wrong.

The container which holds your cleaning solution and item(s) to be cleaned is supposed to be held in a rack which rests on the top edge of the cleaner...and lets the 'jar' protrude downward into the tank.

Then, the tank is filled with plain water to transfer the vibraton to the 'jar'.

When you place a heavy object (like your mason jar full of liquid) directly on the bottom of the tank it causes the transducer to beat itself to death.

The damage is imperceptible (at first), cumulative, and permanent.

CM

Thanks for the info. I usually put 4 mason jars with brass and solution in the tank and then fill the tank to the full line with cool tap water. Been doing it this way for about 2 1/2-3 years. I'll figure a way to make a wire rack to hold the jars suspended in the tank with water.

montana_charlie
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Here's a page of links to FAQ's which are informative, and may help prevent damage to your cleaner.
http://www.ctgclean.com/faq.php

noylj
07-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Exactly why would any one go to that much trouble to clean their brass? Not even the benchrest shooters think that level of cleanliness is worth it.
To reload in volume, I can't wipe off each case. Thus, I justify a decent tumbler. Brass comes out clean, but I see no reason to waste time making it shiny. A glitter-finish bass boat doesn't catch any more bass.

montana_charlie
07-29-2010, 11:24 PM
A glitter-finish bass boat doesn't catch any more bass.
No, but a clean hook will...

10mmShooter
07-30-2010, 09:29 PM
i have tried the liquid route and just didnt like having to wait for the brass to dry, I guess I'm just too impatience, I do have two tumblers so I just throw the brass in let it tumble all night and the next morning it looks new, and if I'm so inclined I can go right to reloading them.

With the ultra sonic or just liquid I was always parnoid about having left some water in the cartridge, always worried they were not dry.

dogbert41
08-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Once in a blue moon I wash my brass before tumbling, but not very often. I think last time I did it because it was raining when I was shooting, and a lot of the cases were in mud.

I have a little sonic cleaner I bought once and I tried using it to clean the carbon off my AR15 firing pin and bolt, but it didn't put a dent in it. Maybe a more expensive one like you guys use for brass would have done the job?

AZ-Stew
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I have a little sonic cleaner I bought once and I tried using it to clean the carbon off my AR15 firing pin and bolt, but it didn't put a dent in it. Maybe a more expensive one like you guys use for brass would have done the job?

Get a can of spray brake cleaner. Takes that stuff right off. Makes cleaning the inside of the upper and gas tube easy, too.

Use it outdoors.

Regards,

Stew