PDA

View Full Version : M1A failure to feed

tanstafl10
07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
The problem-- my M1A has started to fail to pick up the next round when cycling.

it happens with all 3 magazines that I have. In my opinion, they have never locked in place tightly and are real tough to remove even with the rocking motion.

The question-- is it the magazines or is the problem with the magazine catch not drawing the mags in tight enough to put the next round in position to be stripped off?? My son and I were shooting a sniper stage at the International Cartridge Corp Lead Free Championship last weekend when this got bad enough to disrupt our shooting. I did have success in the stage when I held the magazine in place while I shot... not the best solution, but it cycled all 5 rounds.

Need to fix it.. any suggestions from someone with similar experiences???

nicholst55
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Pull your trigger mech and eyeball the mag catch. Does it appear to be worn? The edges should be reasonably sharp.

Are you certain that you weren't experiencing short recoil? If the gas cylinder plug was loose, you could be venting enough gas at the front of the gas cylinder to cause malfunctions.

zuke
07-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Have you REALLY cleaned out the inside of the gas cylindre plug?

Phillip
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
"it happens with all 3 magazines that I have. In my opinion, they have never locked in place tightly and are real tough to remove even with the rocking motion."

Check for excessive bedding material sticking out between the stock and receiver.
Make sure the magazine release is not in backwards/upside down.

Look at your magazines and see if they have scrape marks on the sides. If they do, this might be a good indication that they have bowed out. The cheaper ones ones will do this.

For magazines, I only buy the USGI or CMI/Springfield ones.

Larry Gibson
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Have you disassembled and reassembled the gas cylinder? If so you might have the yoke off one turn on reassembly and it is partially blocking the gas port. Also if the inside of the gas cylinder and gas plug are severely carboned up it will cause the problem you're having.

Larry Gibson

mroliver77
07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
As has been stated, check the magwell for anomalies or onstructions. Look at the recoil spring guide end that the mag locks on to for wear or nasty burrs etc. Again, have you cleaned gas system lately? This should be done with the proper drill bits to cut the carbon out of the piston
(2 diameters) and the cap. Have you cleaned and lubed it properly? Grease is the proper lube for most parts of an M14 type rifle.
Tons of info here" http://m14tfl.com/upload/
Jay

tanstafl10
07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
okay guys, you have given me food for thought and actions to take.

I will try these things and let you know any results, I am not the best at knowing what to keep clean. Although I have had the rifle since mid 80's, I have only just started to really use it seriously. I need to learn... thanks for the advice.

need to be on the road next couple of weeks, so it will be end of August before I can get back to this project.

Again, thanks for help...

jdmcomp
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Also check the gas cylinder for any cracks, especially around the ring surrounding the barrel. If it is a SA gun this part is most likely not GI and is subject to breaking.

Hardcast416taylor
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
What Phillip said. Use magazines that are either GI issue type or mags from a reputable maker. I have some that I won`t use nor sell to anyone else due to their questionable feeding and sometimes not fully wanting to lock in place.Robert

Japlmg
08-10-2010, 09:57 PM
The two Springfield Armory Mags that came with my new M1A were very hard to insert and remove. I bought a few real Viet Nam era GI M14 mags, and they are almost drop free in fit, and function 100%. I have since bought more GI M14 mags and unloaded the Springfield factory mags.
Gregg