PDA

View Full Version : New restrictions for buying in the US?

romeoh
07-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Usually I´m just reading - compared with many of you here I´m just a greenhorn, though already casting since years... :rolleyes:

But now I got a question that hopefully can be answered by you.
I´m sitting in Germany and heard rumors that there are new export-restrictions regarding virtually ALL kinda reloading-stuff. Molds included. :shock:

I used to buy all my stuff in the States, prices are much higher here and very often doin it on your own is faster..
If it´s really true what I´ve heard then pretty much everything would now require an Export-license. :holysheep
The license costs (around 300 bucks) would make it senseless then to shop any longer in the US online-shops.:-x
Certain things already required a license, but now... Heck, even if I´d order a few spare-parts for a press I couldn´t do it right from the producing company. [smilie=b:

Anybody able to tell me what´s really up?
Thanks for your help!

missionary5155
07-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Good morning & WELCOME !
I cannot help you with the Export question but I can tell you there are worse places to live if you want to reload.
Here in Arequipa there are no supplies. I buy 45 ACP for the powder & primers to reload 44-40 plus old shotgun shells for the powder.
I can get a 3F type Blackpowder to reload 12 guage & 44-40 also.
But we can thank the U.N. for all the help they are.

Cowboy T
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Just looked this up at MidwayUSA's Web site. They cannot ship to APO or FPO addresses, but they can ship to military bases *in the USA*. A lot of good that does you, unfortunately.

Here's an idea. Next time you're on leave over here, pick up some stuff and take it with you on the military Hop, with your luggage. See if that's a possibility.

Echo
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Check with the PX - they may be able to purchase for you. Or maybe a R&G club on post/base/whatever.

hk33ka1
07-31-2010, 01:49 AM
You basically cannot export ammo, guns, gun parts, some scopes and night vision, some body armor, bullets, brass, primers and powder out of the USA, unless you have a US export permit from the Dept of State. There are exemptions for certain lower (under $100 total order) value gun parts. But basically ammo or gun related bits can't leave the country without paperwork, that is not worth obtaining for individual orders.

Reloading tools and molds to my knowledge are not yet affected.

Permits for some items just won't be granted at all to civilians, but only to friendly Governments or Companies.

primersp
07-31-2010, 02:04 AM
no problem with moulds, dies or g.c ,perhaps some scopes or night vision
magazines, brass ,powders and primers are not allowed .
some compagnies brownell or gun part limit to 100 us.

Bollocks
07-31-2010, 04:18 AM
Hello all,

FWIW, I've ordered a few die sets from CH4D a few days ago. No problem whatsoever. I live in the Netherlands.

Also recieved an shipment from Sinclair recently and another is under way too. For another recent shipment of J4 jackets an US export permit was needed which was easily obtained.

I agree with what has been said before on restrictions. Some companies however just do not send anything abroad any more. That's their own choice and not necessarily legislation.

Kind rgds,
BolloX

paul edward
08-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Check with several of the US distributors to see which ones will export and what they are willing to export.

Are there legal issues with reloading in Germany today?

MFG

Paul

nicholst55
08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Just looked this up at MidwayUSA's Web site. They cannot ship to APO or FPO addresses, but they can ship to military bases *in the USA*. A lot of good that does you, unfortunately.

Actually, it's that Midway WON'T ship to APO or FPO addresses. That's okay, I won't beg them to take my money, and I WON'T buy from them once I return to the States. If my money isn't good enough for them now, then it obviously won't be good enough for them then.

They wouldn't even send me a catalog so I could order stuff and have it sent to my son's house in Maryland!

waksupi
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I remember back when I was a kid, many places would not ship APO/FPO. I never knew the reason, but it was very common for many large companies to have this policy.

hk33ka1
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Word around the campfire was one of the big mail order dealers, possibly Midway was fined for exporting parts or components that they were not allowed to when these new laws came into affect. They then decided not to make the mistake again by stopping all international sales.

nicholst55
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
One reason that many companies won't ship to APO/FPO addresses is because they automatically ship everything by UPS or FEDEX - because those companies pick up. While I understand that the USPS will pick up from businesses, many either aren't aware of this fact, or choose not to take advantage of it. Freight rates are also significantly higher with the USPS than either UPS or FEDEX, and the latter are both set up to allow easy tracking of packages - something that the USPS is definitely not set up for.