PDA

View Full Version : 309-160-2R Load for M1 Garand

cricco
07-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I have just received my first rifle mold. It is a 309-160-2R. This is a gas check boolit. I want to load for my garand with this boolit, but I cannot find any load data for this boolit in a Garand. Ideally, I would like to use a powder that I can also use for my .270 Win, so that i can buy 8 lbs of it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks folks.

cricco
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Anyone??

BruceB
07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Howdy, cricco.

At the charge levels and pressures where we load most cast bullets, having SPECIFIC information for a SPECIFIC bullet is most unlikely.

For one thing, the bullet you cast from that mould will not be the same as the bullet I cast from my copy of the same mould. Variations in size, alloy, hardness and lubricant all enter the picture.

Your bullet is NOMINALLY a 160-grain type, but it's almost certain that it will not weigh exactly that much. Could be lighter, could be heavier. Doesn't matter!

Casters have to exercise some brain cells to make safe loads, much more than the thinking needed to pull some load out of a loading manual.

Do a search up above for "Garand" and "M1". There will be MANY loads discussed. READ EVERYTHING, keep note to determine what seems to work for most folks, and make an educated selection from loads mentioned for bullets within say, ten grains of your bullet's weight. Then, with a selected powder, start LOW and load a few rounds at each of several escalating charge levels in accordance with your reading.

No one can "give" you a load for your rifle. YOU have to do the work-up, because your rifle and your bullets are individuals. I suggest beginning with powders such as 4895 or 4064. Normal handbooks will not be much help, because cast loads are DIFFERENT.

Ask questions when you run into them, and we'll help you along the way. Many here do shoot cast in autoloading rifles, and have some good ideas to ease the passage. Read the forum called "CB loads/Military Rifles", as well.

Powders that will work in the Garand with CAST BULLETS and .270 jacketed loads include (but are not restricted to) 4895, 4064, 4350, IMR and H4831.

MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOUR BRASS IS FULL-LENGTH-SIZED!

cricco
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Thank you BruceB. I ordered 3 different powders, including Varget so that I can do some experimenting. I appreciate your input.