PDA

View Full Version : New barrel

walker77
07-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I just got a new lone wolf barrel for a used glock i just bought. It seems rough. Should i run some jacked rounds through it first or stick to just lead rounds only?

Wayne S
07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Shoot a couple of your cast in it then check for leading, then shoot 5 or 6, and check, If no leading have at it, if you see some leading on loads that shouldn't/haven't left lead in other pistols, consider some fire lapping

walker77
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
You dont think i should shoot jacked to break it in first?

badgeredd
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
You dont think i should shoot jacked to break it in first?

There are different schools of thought on breaking in a barrel with j-words. My opinion is that if the barrel is rough, they won't hurt a thing. Second since copper is harder than lead, some judicious application of some lapping compound for 20-25 shots may yield great results in a shorter period of time. Just be watchful and don't over-do the fire-lapping. My nickels worth....

Edd

RobS
07-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Shoot some low end cast loads through it and check to see if it leads and if not then load up some standard pressure cast rounds and go from there. However if it does lead with the low end cast loads and you don't want to fire lap then try some jacketed. Clean the copper fowling out very well and then try some more cast. If this doesn't go over then you may need to look into fire lapping but it isn't needed in most situations.

armyrat1970
07-26-2010, 03:18 AM
I would shoot some jacketed through it before shooting cast.

HammerMTB
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
You can hand lap the bbl if it is rough, and it will be better than using j-word slugs. When you think about it, where in the world of machinery does one use copper as an abrasive lapping product?
After problems with both Lone wolf products and their customer service, I won't buy the stuff anymore. The joy of low price is long outlasted by the sorrow of crappy product.

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
HI,
ODDLY ENOUGH some rough barrels shoot Pb just fine. try it with a box & see.
Many of the old bulls eye shooters of the 50's would shoot 200-300+ j- bullets as a break in , before they would shoot seriously on paper.

walker77
07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
You can hand lap the bbl if it is rough, and it will be better than using j-word slugs. When you think about it, where in the world of machinery does one use copper as an abrasive lapping product?
After problems with both Lone wolf products and their customer service, I won't buy the stuff anymore. The joy of low price is long outlasted by the sorrow of crappy product.

Funny, This is the first time i have ever heard of some one haveing a problem with lone wolf stuff.

Edubya
07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
We should never expect high standards for anything that we paid low prices for. It does happen occasionally but we should demand high standards for what we pay dearly for. If it is a product that you can personally improve and you buy it with this in mind, you have no right to complain (i.e., Lee moulds). If you have no means of improving said object, don't buy less than you would desire but demand that level of fit and finish or the level goes down for everyone.

EW

walker77
07-26-2010, 07:54 PM
As long as it works as expected, thats all i care about. I dont care about finish or the goofy wolf on the top of the barrel.

Dannix
07-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Couple of links for you. Maybe something you may consider worth checking out.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89321
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82935

Freightman
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a Vetterli that had a pitted rough barrel, I thought this is a lost cause. Well it will hold 3.5" at 100 yds with lead as I have never put any J-word through it. The barrel is still pitted after 1000 or so rounds but it is no longer rough and it doesn't lead. Try it with cast it might jus surprise you.

truckmsl
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
I would call the folks at Lone Wolf and talk to them. I just put a Lone Wolf barrel in my Glock 35 and it is not rough at all. They have always seemed willing to work with the customer all of the times that I've dealt with them. I have two of their barrels and had them open up the leade area a bit for fat boolits and they were great to work with.

Dannix
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
open up the leade area a bit for fat boolits
So is this increasing the throat length, creating greater freebore? Or is the previous thought good for long bullet and you're referring to something else, like, maybe, simply creating a more gradual taper from the throat to the bore. ...does .40 S&W even have a throat?

My head hurts trying to figure all this out. :oops: